rllmuk
kiroquai

Formula One - 2019 Season

62 point championship lead for Hamilton who usually gets stronger after the summer break.

He's had the championship won since pretty much the moment LeClerc had the car expire in Bahrain.

Ferrari actually had their two drivers close together on track whereas Bottas and Gasly were nowhere. Mercedes wouldn't have been able to try that strategy if Gasly was even close to his teammate instead Max and Lewis were miles ahead of the rest of the field.

Shout out to Carlos Sainz, incidentally. Really showing how good a driver he is this year.

Also, this season is probably the prime example of why winter testing is dodgy at best as a form predictor. Who’d have thought at the end of the second Barcelona test that we’d be heading into the summer break with Ferrari finishing a minute behind a Mercedes and having not won a race all year.

• Upvote 1

Think he’s really under pressure now. He might even have lost his seat already.

As much as I’d feel for Ocon, I’m firmly in the George Russell camp for that second Merc seat. The kid has got ‘it’ and a few years with Lewis would toughen him up and get him ready to lead the team moving forward.

19 minutes ago, mexos said:

Wow really? 

Sky F1 were waiting for the photo for ages and pointed out that he wasn't there. I normally turn off their coverage as soon as the race ends and just watch the Notebook so them mentioning it felt like a statement. His place in the photo was taken by Mr Bean Rowan Atkinson.

I think Ocon is going to Renault and however much WIlliams protest they aren't going to turn down a chunk of money to release Russell from his contract.

Am wondering if it’ll end up with Bottas and Russell seat-swapping and perhaps a preferable rate on power units for Williams too. Russell is I suppose ‘on loan’ to Williams for a bit from Merc so am sure they’ll work a decent deal out.

2 hours ago, ryodi said:

His place in the photo was taken by Mr Bean Rowan Atkinson.

Yikes.

Amazing from Mercedes but even more so from Hamilton, many other drivers would have driven much, much safer and not risked chasing down the win but that, to me, was Lewis saying to Max "don't get any ideas now, I'm still the man you all have to beat" which he has no need to do considering his place in the championship. But if he didn't do that, he wouldn't be the driver he is, he's not as machine-like as Schumacher, but he goes about destroying his opposition in a different way.

oh, I forget, I'm anti-Hamilton

As for the rest of the field, in loving the battle at McLaren but Norris needs to stop going backwards when it comes to the races, he's beating Sainz in qualifying but I think Sainz has finished the race ahead of Norris far more often (I could be wrong, I've not checked), I know today he had a shit pit stop but it's still a concern.

Vettel seems to have turned a corner, I think it's good for the Formula 1 if he can come back from the break in a better mindset, just so we can see him and Charles battle it out (which will help LeClerc grow as a driver)

Having Red Bull doing well again is great to see, if Ferrari can sort their shit out (because the team have been as bad as Vettel has been) then the second half of the season will be great.

And Emmet finishing ahead of Giovanazzi and Stroll is properly giving the middle finger to Stroll Sr.

• Upvote 4

The two measured attack runs by Hamilton bought the opportunity to roll the dice with the tyres, another great race but those two were in a class of two - The Ferrari’s are not that much slower than the Red Bull or Merc they just don’t have a Hamilton or Verstappen behind the wheel.

So much interest down the field too, this year is probably done for championships but we are getting great races and racing all over the field.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

The two measured attack runs by Hamilton bought the opportunity to roll the dice with the tyres, another great race but those two were in a class of two - The Ferrari’s are not that much slower than the Red Bull or Merc they just don’t have a Hamilton or Verstappen behind the wheel.

So much interest down the field too, this year is probably done for championships but we are getting great races and racing all over the field.

Exactly. You can claim the strategy won it but Max couldn't gap Lewis and was under pressure for the entire race so couldn't ease off to save his tyres so they would last until the end. You only had to watch how quickly Hamilton closed the gap after his first pitstop to see how fast he was and I cannot imagine Bottas doing such a good job if he was the one challenging Max instead of Lewis.

hungary.jpg.e99387f169964b7fc0f3c116eaccadb4.jpg

Those gaps are a real throwback to the 90s when the leading cars lapped just about everyone.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Those gaps are a real throwback to the 90s when the leading cars lapped just about everyone.

Or the first season of the Hybrid engines.

47 minutes ago, ryodi said:

You only had to watch how quickly Hamilton closed the gap after his first pitstop to see how fast he was and I cannot imagine Bottas doing such a good job if he was the one challenging Max instead of Lewis.

Right after Hamilton overtook Bottas they said on tv (something along the lines of) “Max’s prayers have been answered thanks to that battle between the Mercedes letting him get away cleanly” and my first thought was that his prayers would definitely have had involved Bottas staying in front, because then he’d have had the chance to disappear off into the distance properly.

• Upvote 2

I only saw the C4 highlights but it seemed like Mercedes were doing alot of dummy pitstops, was this part of a plan to stop Redbull being able to mimic Lewis with Max and stay ahead on track? Because if so that's pretty impresive from the strategy team but also likeley to bring dummy pit moves under scrutiny.

Also Gasly and Bottas have to go.  Redbull look like they will be serious contenders for the title next year and Max needs back up, gets Albon or Kvyat in the car now so they're properly ready to go come the start of the season.  As for Bottas he's not doing too badly with the car when its the quickest, he'll bring it home on the podium and is doing enough for them to retain the constructors but when Ferrari and Redbull are in the mix and he has to get punchy he looks out of his depth and they have two young drivers that will be wasted if they're not put in the car.

Lewis showing a lot of heart yesterday. Was great seeing the spontaneous bro hug with Max behind Vettel (doing his interview). Looked like they had a lot of fun racing each other and gapping everyone else.

The cars are now pretty close in some races and the promised battles are emerging. Lucky us.  

I fully believe Ham v Ves will be as epic a fight as Senna v Schuey would have been.

The changing of the guard. I can't wait to see more.

Or Alonso / Schumacher. If RB get themselves together Max could stop Lewis beating Schumacher’s records.

27 minutes ago, ryodi said:

If RB get themselves together Max could delay Lewis beating Schumacher’s records.

With 6 half in the bag it's pretty clear Lewis will stick around long enough to at the very least equal Schu's 7.

The win record is the big shocker for me. Only 10 more to go!

If he still only had 2 or 3 championships by now I'd say he might take a punt on Ferrari to close out his career just because. But with the all time win and all time WDC records there for the taking it's cemented him in Merc till the end IMO. 

1 hour ago, mexos said:

With 6 half in the bag it's pretty clear Lewis will stick around long enough to at the very least equal Schu's 7.

The win record is the big shocker for me. Only 10 more to go!

If he still only had 2 or 3 championships by now I'd say he might take a punt on Ferrari to close out his career just because. But with the all time win and all time WDC records there for the taking it's cemented him in Merc till the end IMO. 

Yeah there’s no way I can see him even thinking about changing teams with so many records so close to being broken. He’s there until the end unless Mercedes drastically drop the ball which feels unlikely.

On 05/08/2019 at 09:54, Bob Sacamano said:

I only saw the C4 highlights but it seemed like Mercedes were doing alot of dummy pitstops, was this part of a plan to stop Redbull being able to mimic Lewis with Max and stay ahead on track? Because if so that's pretty impresive from the strategy team but also likeley to bring dummy pit moves under scrutiny.

I've mentioned this on here in the past.  Mercedes are really taking the piss with it.  They did it twice with Hamilton and once with Bottas in that race.
I can only imagine they have some sort of coded message thing going on where the driver, so they can prove to the FIA by means of radio recordings it was a communication mismatch.  It's putting people in danger and really should be penalised (by ways of a fine at least in the first instance, it's not the drivers fault).

Incidentally, they well and truely cocked up Bottas' strategy.  After he broke the nose, he was dropping 2+ seconds a lap.  He was holding the whole field together, with approx 1 second gaps beween everyone, no gap was going to emerge.  They shoul;d have brought him in straight away, or at least after 1 lap (when they did the dummy thing) and he would have managed to get back most probably to 5th, if not caught the Ferrari's.  Once more, they tried to prioritise strategy (or safety car luck) over track position.  

Red Bull should have pitted Max for tyres, and at least given him the chance to chase Hamilton, though I guess once it was done, it was done.

Hamilton used his tools better, and came out on top.  Interesting to see the performance differential he needed to make the pass though.  When he came out 6.5 seconds behind Max and used the initial tyre life to slice through that gap, he couldn't pass.

With Spa and Monza coming up, unless that Honda can really come on over the summer, I'd expect to see Merc up front and running away with it again.  The Ferrari is quick, but I'm not sure it's quick enough.

25 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Hamilton used his tools better, and came out on top.  Interesting to see the performance differential he needed to make the pass though.  When he came out 6.5 seconds behind Max and used the initial tyre life to slice through that gap, he couldn't pass.

I think it was close still. A couple of times DRS was nullified by Max also picking it from a back marker. On another lap Hamilton went too wide in a passing attempt and that took him out of range for the whole of the next lap. I think if they hadn’t pitted him there could have been at least another opportunity or two, depending on back markers etc. but difficult to say how long he could keep really pushing those tyres, and in hindsight pitting was a better option.

Max was wearing out his tyres a lot faster than Hamilton due to the pressure he was under which forced RB to stop him early which meant his final stint was too long. Even after Hamilton took a lot of life out the Garda by attaching so much at the start I still think he would have had another chance nearer the end when there was no more DRS from backmarkers to help Max.

14 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Max was wearing out his tyres a lot faster than Hamilton due to the pressure he was under which forced RB to stop him early which meant his final stint was too long. Even after Hamilton took a lot of life out the Garda by attaching so much at the start I still think he would have had another chance nearer the end when there was no more DRS from backmarkers to help Max.

But then you have another 30+ laps of following in dirty air. I'm not sure Ham would have been able to get him. His attack early makes me think he knew he had a small window to get the job done. When it didn't happen, time for plan b.

Hamilton was clear on the radio that he wasn't getting past.  He would have had to drop back to manage his brake temps and the usual F1 procession would have ensued.  Sure Hamilton may have got Max later in the race, but realistically, Max would be driving to a predefined pace, managing his tyres rather than pushing it, so would have had moe tyres at the end.  

Pitting Hamilton wasn't a stroke of genius, it was the obvious call given the situation, which was caused by combination of the Ferrari's being much slower, and Merc screwing Bottas over as I described above - I'm not remotely suggesting it was delibrate, just a pure coincidence.  Not pitting Max, with 20 laps left and such a short loss for a pitstop (~20 seconds) was the mistake, though RB clearly realised the Merc was the faster car, and suspected Max wouldn't have been able to pass.