rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - tonight we're gonna price it like it's 1993!

And finished. Had to cheat to figure out the very end, but I don’t care, apart from that one slightly annoying part I enjoyed every minute of this very charming and nostalgic ride. 

Yeah i finished this off tonight as well. The last 2 dungeons are definitely the trickiest and took about 90 minutes a piece. 

One day i'd like to try for a no death run or try hero mode. I'll probably try and collect all the seashells but not too fussed at the minute.

• Upvote 1

Leaving a dungeon with a new ability and doing the rounds on the island, getting to places you couldn’t reach before, is truly up there as one of the most satisfying things in gaming.

• Upvote 8

Another finisher here. I did the final part yesterday lunchtime. What a great game! I’m sorry the GB Zeldas passed my by, I was never really into handheld gaming, with the Switch being a major exception! 

• Upvote 1

Honestly, if I could play every Zelda game on the Switch (every 2D Zelda updated like this, and every 3D Zelda given the HD treatment like Wind Waker), I’d just sit here and play them all until the end of time. Just wake me up when Super Mario Odyssey 2 is out yeah.

It’s a shame there’s no easy way to play Skyward Sword without dusting off my Wii, hot-wiring it to my 4k TV, then mustering the enthusiasm to locate the waggle bar and some batteries.

• Upvote 2

The only part of Skyward Sword I dreaded replaying were the Imprisoned Fights.  I hate time-limit bosses that run away from you, especially when you have to do them multiple times.

I think Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are progressively worse 3D Zelda's that emphasise why Breath of the Wild is amazing.

To be clear neither is bad and I played through both mostly happy, but they do nothing beyond Ocarina of Time than look better and remix the standard formula.

Wind waker is arguably worse than both TP and SS but it's so charming and loveably different visually I see it as its own to thing.

Breath of the Wild then comes along and blows them all away with it's absolute freedom whilst still feeling like the same series. 

• Upvote 3

@Ran

Breath of the Wild is in a different league, definitely, but at least Skyward Sword tried to do something different with the precision waggle stuff, which I thought worked really well. Plus the desert level that fills up with water is gorgeous.

Twilight Princess is the real gash. Got bored of it on the Gamecube, got bored of it on the Wii and, despite the fact that I should have learnt my lesson by that point, I got bored of it when it was remastered for the Wii U as well. It's a shame as that E3 reveal and trailer was possibly the greatest of all time.

I've completed this now and looking back I'm surprised how simple the dungeons are. There were no puzzles as such, just a couple of bomb-able walls. I recall train tracks and point switches and mine carts but they're not there, they must have been in the Capcom ones. I'm used to collecting a novel new item in the dungeon and a few great puzzles coming out of it. Even Skyward Sword had this I think. Or it could be rose tinted spectacles as I remember really loving the GB original dungeons in this. I'm glad I've played it but the Mario Galaxy games remastered next please Nintendo.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

@Ran

Breath of the Wild is in a different league, definitely, but at least Skyward Sword tried to do something different with the precision waggle stuff, which I thought worked really well. Plus the desert level that fills up with water is gorgeous.

Twilight Princess is the real gash. Got bored of it on the Gamecube, got bored of it on the Wii and, despite the fact that I should have learnt my lesson by that point, I got bored of it when it was remastered for the Wii U as well. It's a shame as that E3 reveal and trailer was possibly the greatest of all time.

Skyward Sword is not only great in its own right, it's an absolutely critical stepping stone to BOTW from the stamina guage to moving a lot more puzzles out of dungeons and into the overworld.

It's miles better than Twilight Princess. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

@Ran

...and I absolute think that Twilight Princess is the best of the post-N64 3D-Zelda trinity of WW, TP & SS. 

It feels the most complete of the three, with the weirdest tone and the best designed dungeons. I love it. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, carleton said:

I've completed this now and looking back I'm surprised how simple the dungeons are. There were no puzzles as such, just a couple of bomb-able walls. I recall train tracks and point switches and mine carts but they're not there, they must have been in the Capcom ones. I'm used to collecting a novel new item in the dungeon and a few great puzzles coming out of it. Even Skyward Sword had this I think. Or it could be rose tinted spectacles as I remember really loving the GB original dungeons in this. I'm glad I've played it but the Mario Galaxy games remastered next please Nintendo.

Yeah you are thinking of the Oracle games with the train tracks.

The dungeons are simple, but the last two different are challenging. 

Because they used the same tile-based level structure that this remake adheres to, I would think the Oracle games would be the natural place to go next.  The only thing I’m not sure of is how the fact they were co-developed with Capcom would change things.  Would Nintendo need to obtain Capcom’s consent in order to remake those games?

This has been posted before but whatever. Great episode of Boss Keys that illustrates in detail the design genius of LA’s dungeons and why they are the best of the series. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jarik said:

Because they used the same tile-based level structure that this remake adheres to, I would think the Oracle games would be the natural place to go next.  The only thing I’m not sure of is how the fact they were co-developed with Capcom would change things.  Would Nintendo need to obtain Capcom’s consent in order to remake those games?

Yeah I mean the game engine is practically the same (i wonder if it was the same engine re used? probably) but i guess new assets would need to created for a ton for a most of the games.

If memory recalls, i think the overworlds were the same for both games? So it would just be a case of the dungeons being different so i would hope they would both be on the same cart and not two seperate games like the original.

But of course, it was a Capcom game and it hasn't had a re-release since so I am not sure on the logistics of it all.

8 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

If memory recalls, i think the overworlds were the same for both games? So it would just be a case of the dungeons being different so i would hope they would both be on the same cart and not two seperate games like the original.

No, it was 2 separate overworlds Labrynna & Holodrum with their own layouts & puzzles.  Time travel between 2 eras in Labrynna & switching between 4 Seasons in Holodrum.

Ages was also widely considered the more 'puzzley' of the 2, with more complex puzzles & dungeon layouts, some of which rising to the level of Eagle's Tower in complexity.

I played both all the way through back when they came out, but virtually none of it has stuck with me in the way that LA has.  I'm pretty sure that's just me though, & they're solid games in their own right.

• Upvote 2

On 13/02/2019 at 22:40, Keyboard Koala said:

Zelda-Links-Awakening-Switch.jpg

links-awakening-spirits.jpg

zelda-fact-sheet.jpg

A new Zelda game is coming to Switch.

Twenty six (!!) years after its original release on Game Boy, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening will be reborn as a new experience on Nintendo Switch.

Buffeted by a storm, Link washes ashore on the mysterious Koholint Island. In order to return home, Link must overcome challenging dungeons and battle against fearsome monsters.

So, unlike most other games in the series, it isn't set in Hyrule, but rather the mystical Koholint Island. After Link washes ashore the island, he can only escape by retrieving eight magical instruments and waking the isle's mystical guardian, the Wind Fish.

This new version of the classic adventure includes many unique elements that appeared in the original Game Boy release, such as 2D platformer-style rooms and appearances from characters outside of The Legend of Zelda series.

Screenshots:

TLoZLA_ss_07.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

TLoZLA_ss_10.jpg

NSwitch_TheLegendofZeldaLinksAwakening_0

TLoZLA_ss_11.jpg

TLoZLA_ss_04.jpg

Debut trailer:

E3 2019 trailer:

Out this September.

1391517453522.gif

I'm hoping this will come out on PS4!!!

• Empathy 2

7 hours ago, Jarik said:

It’s Nintendo’s IP, I don’t see why not?

7 hours ago, Grobbelboy said:

This has been posted before but whatever. Great episode of Boss Keys that illustrates in detail the design genius of LA’s dungeons and why they are the best of the series. 

Really love this series, must watch more of it. 

I like how even the trailer has slowdown at the water fall bit on 23 seconds.

I realise I'm sounding a bit down on this but I really enjoyed it. I'm certainly in for a double pack of the Capcom games.

Finished this last night. Enjoyed the adventure but pretty glad its all over now. Will be trading it in for Luigi's mansion at the end of the month.

The slowdown never really bothered me, and it was an enjoyable game, but i felt a bit like i was just going through the motions at some parts. The dungeons seems to get a lot of praise, but i didn't really think they were anything special.

Think i'll go back to BOTW ^_^

• Upvote 2

I'm really enjoying it as never played the original. However, i have found myself on more than one occasion just wandering aimlessly. Have had to consult a guide a few times.

Noticed the slowdown for the first ten minutes, then never again. For me, is a real non event.