rllmuk
Isaac

Super Mario Maker 2 - Out Now (Forum Course List in First Post)

2 hours ago, Retroid said:

Thank god for that! A lot of my levels got deleted on SM1 so it's nice to see someone finish a level and enjoy it.

Apologies, I really tried to not make it too execution demanding (reigned it in a hell of a lot) but I still wanted a bit of discovery so it's not too well signposted.

I died a lot. Then I hit the koopa at the top of the slope and died. Then I died a lot getting back there. Then I saved Yoshi with the red shell and died sliding down the slope. At that point I feared for my Switch so I've given up for the evening.

Nice course, though!

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

I died a lot. Then I hit the koopa at the top of the slope and died. Then I died a lot getting back there. Then I saved Yoshi with the red shell and died sliding down the slope. At that point I feared for my Switch so I've given up for the evening.

Nice course, though!

Cheers! I'm starting to understand why my MM1 levels were deleted. :lol:

I think the pro-streamers have poisoned my mind with their skills, I'll try and keep that in mind for next time.

Fancy a bit of light puzzle solving that will make you feel like a monster? 

A Machine For Goombas.

GK6-13C-80G

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, GokouD said:

A Machine For Goombas.

GK6-13C-80G

To make me feel like even more of a monster, the course I happened to play before this one was That Goomba Had a Family. 

I’ve put barely any time into this so far but have made a start on the story mode and added some of you makers to my favourite list, so keep pumping out the levels and hopefully I’ll get to play them soon!

I’m in the middle of making quite an elaborate snow level and it’s taking me ages. Probably spent about 4 hours on it so far. 

Just putting the finishing touches on and I’ll upload it. 

I played through about ten of the courses in the spreadsheet yesterday. It's fairly obvious that everyone's still learning the ropes, but I enjoyed @drmanhattan56's two levels and @cohen205's as well.

I also liked the Fickle Superstar level that @ann coulter made - very clever! Although if you miss the Thwomp after the second checkpoint, like I did, you're sat waiting around for ages.

@imp, @SqueakyG and @CheekyLee, your courses were a bit too hard for me.

@Couk, I couldn't figure out your 100 coin tower course - how are you supposed to get the coins in the first lava bubble bit?

And @Hylian, I stuck with your code break level until the instadeath branching paths section but quit after dying 8 times in a row in various sadistic ways :lol: Nice idea, however! It reminded me of the torture chambers in The Wasp Factory.

I also watched all the pigeon lessons, which were actually quite insightful to a beginner, and funny in places as well.

Overall, I think the best levels are those which feel like they could actually be in one of the games, as opposed to ones which revolve around a novelty gimmick or theme, although I must be in the minority there as it's gimmick levels which are the most popular on the leaderboards.

• Upvote 1

Can anyone tell me how long Nintendo play to run the server for these games? I used to have PetitComputer running on the 3DS and it used 2D barcode storage.

Nintendo: Community plays a really big part in SmileBASIC. While programming for yourself is great and all, it's just as exciting and educational to see what others can do with the same tools. Mercifully, sharing work is much improved this time around. With Petit Computer, importing and exporting software involved cumbersome QR codes to scan and manage - it got the job done, but wasn't a particularly intuitive way to share anything. SmileBASIC streamlines this process by allowing users to upload their work to a server, which can then be shared with a download key. The download key is a simple string of text, and so much easier to share than a series of images. We cannot stress enough how much simpler this new system is - alone, this one feature makes Petit Computer entirely obsolete.

Hang on Nintendo imma just ask Admiral Ackbar to check you masterplan.

itsatrap.jpg

31 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

@imp, @SqueakyG and @CheekyLee, your courses were a bit too hard for me.

Try this one instead: 3G3-106-V8G - much less difficult than the one you played, and something of a course correction. I got far, far too excited and completely overcooked the second level I made!

Quite enjoying working on a much less mechanically intense level at the moment, too, so look out for that!

• Upvote 2

When you download other people's courses, is that to edit or play?

I'm on a train later for a couple of hours, I don't fancy creating courses in that time as I'm used to the pad now, but would like to play a few of the levels you chaps have made.

Just now, dr_manhattan^ said:

When you download other people's courses, is that to edit or play?

I'm on a train later for a couple of hours, I don't fancy creating courses in that time as I'm used to the pad now, but would like to play a few of the levels you chaps have made.

I downloaded to play on the commute home yesterday. What's weird though is that the ones I finished were not marked as completed, and maybe not even marked as played. It was only when I was back home and I put a course code in and selected play rather than download did it recognise them as completed.

• Upvote 1

@Jamie John thanks for playing it! I really enjoyed making it, especially the insta-death bits. I was laughing to myself as I tried them out! Shame you didn't crack the code (and were a bit unlucky with 8/12 deaths!).

• Upvote 1

Some nice levels in this list. It's all about getting that world record :lol:

I beat a few of @David Heath WR , some where quite close!

Oh my name is ADH Gaming on Smm2 .

• Upvote 2

A new level from me, which took me bloody ages of tweaking and farting about with: V32-S9M-SWG

It's an underground level focused on a track and seesaw mechanic that I saw being used in another course and promptly stole. I've called it 'Mining for Goombrats'. A couple of screens:

D-o3MNKUcAAaYp5?format=jpg&name=large

D-o3MNKUcAEIyrt?format=jpg&name=large

Let me know what you think! I'll try to play everyone's new levels at some point today.

• Upvote 3

Right just downloaded a load of tracks for tonight and played the latest by @Jamie John and @joffocakes and these two are outstanding quality wise in my opinion.  Best two yet for me I think.  

Wanted to just have the first clear on both, but I'll be working on getting the best time I can later.

Great levels!

• Upvote 1

I'm really struggling to get started with making levels. Is there a good guide somewhere? Found the pigeon videos fine but I feel like I don't fully understand the tools. Should I just jump in and blunder my way through?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hewson said:

I'm really struggling to get started with making levels. Is there a good guide somewhere? Found the pigeon videos fine but I feel like I don't fully understand the tools. Should I just jump in and blunder my way through?

Yeah, that's the best way, I found. The pigeon lessons are more theoretical than practical. You'll pick up how to use everything pretty quickly, and there's lots of button prompts to help you out. Something the game doesn't tell you is that, for most tools, holding down the cursor on them gives you more options, so most enemies can be changed to their flying, mega or parachuting variants, for example.

And thanks a lot @dr_manhattan^ :D

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hewson said:

Try and pick a handful of items / enemies and only use those too, helps to focus you.

I wish there was a way to create a #rllmuk hastag in this and limit courses to just that hashtag.  Would make things much easier to navigate rather than just having to put in codes all the time.

You could even create a little world with just those courses in them.

15 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I wish there was a way to create a #rllmuk hastag in this and limit courses to just that hashtag.  Would make things much easier to navigate rather than just having to put in codes all the time.

Yeah, like some way to join a custom ‘community’ of sorts, and all share courses with each other. Basically anything other than what they went with.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

While that would be nice for us, I can see why they didn't go that route. You'd just end up with a lot of player in silos not interacting, and I think they really want to encourage as many people as possible to play random levels in endless, because that's what drives plays and feedback for the majority of levels that aren't being shared on message boards. That would go some way to explaining why you can't automatically see your friends levels too, because again that would encourage you to just play those levels and not random ones.

Maybe.  I think that's a weak argument personally as there would be noting stopping your courses appearing to randoms too, and you could do other thngs to encourage that.

Hopefully this game gets a lot of post release support. I expect them to add more items and tweak the online community aspect. Hoping we get a gameboy style as well. 

Have they removed the ability to make mini collections of 4 courses? I remember they added that to MM1. Bit odd it's not here. I suppose it might suggest they've got a bigger update coming that's related to that feature.

• Upvote 1

I do think it's a bit hampered in comparison to the Wii U version it was a lot of fun making courses on the tablet and being able to play them on the TV at the same time but other than that it's ace. Really enjoying Story Mode. 

9 hours ago, imp said:

Try this one instead: 3G3-106-V8G - much less difficult than the one you played, and something of a course correction. I got far, far too excited and completely overcooked the second level I made!

Quite enjoying working on a much less mechanically intense level at the moment, too, so look out for that!

Just played this. Enjoyed it! Great level of detail. The second half was especially good.

22 hours ago, GokouD said:

A Machine For Goombas.

GK6-13C-80G

I couldn't figure out how to kill the second one, with the bomb. I could trap the Goomba next to the bomb, and then understood that I needed the claw to catch the lava bubble and set the bomb off, but the claw would just drop the lava every time when it got to one of the pillars.

• Upvote 1

The claw drops what it's holding when you're underneath it, so you need to stay away from it.

• Upvote 1