rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Astral Chain - Out now and it's great!

13 hours ago, Mugman said:

Is there an explanation for the ratings system anywhere? I just fought a boss and used all of my different legions, loads of different attacks etc. Got a D. Any ideas?

I was wondering about this too.

Looking at the File 1: Case 3 (since I have the screen shot on my phone) you get scored for at least:

Time

Finishing Touch

Sloppy Strikes

Naked Eye

Stunning

Item Hoarder 

Sync Attacker

All of the points are totalled up and that determines your rank - no penalty for using health items it would seem.

For this case file I got 11,500 points which gave me an S+ Ranking, so I guess you just check the ranking screen and see what you scored low on and try to throw that into the fight next time. Maybe you took too long? 8,800 points of my total came from Time.

58 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

It really is a delightful little game isn't it. Everything is done so well.

Anyone done the sidequest where you have to bring the little boy an ice cream? Managed not to drop a single scoop, and then some prick comes running down the stairs, bumps into me, and knocks the ice cream out of my hand leaving one scoop left!!! I've never wanted to arrest someone as much as i wanted to arrest him.

I saw a gif that was exactly that, so maybe scripted?

25 minutes ago, pledge said:

I saw a gif that was exactly that, so maybe scripted?

Quite possibly.. I was laughing my head off, because i was so careful, and then this idiot comes running towards me, and i couldn't do anything to stop it.

It's little touches like that, that makes this game so special. It's got heart, which a lot of games seem to struggle with.

World is on the bring of dimensional invasion. Death, disappearances and general social breakdown imminent.

ME: Need to get this football kicked back to the boys down the road!

Its my GOTY. Its potentially one of the greatest games I have ever played and even though I have hardly scratched the surface, I just know this is something special. Like everything Platinum have ever done has been building toward this. Finished of File 3 this morning (during my flight Glasgow - London which I ALWAYS sleep during but not today, not ever again!) and I was actually laughing at some of the new things that open up because its just so fucking good.

The main thing I am focussed on right now is identifying the patterns for the sync attacks. There seems to be loads of opportunity for syncing or even recovering after getting hit but a lot of practice required to make best use of them. Also, the FINISH THEM windows seem to be really small at the moment with my Legion usually ripping the enemy apart before I get the chance to hit the B button but again, with practice it will be like playing a beautiful instrument!

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, MardiganX said:

World is on the bring of dimensional invasion. Death, disappearances and general social breakdown imminent.

ME: Need to get this football kicked back to the boys down the road!

Its my GOTY. Its potentially one of the greatest games I have ever played and even though I have hardly scratched the surface, I just know this is something special. Like everything Platinum have ever done has been building toward this. Finished of File 3 this morning (during my flight Glasgow - London which I ALWAYS sleep during but not today, not ever again!) and I was actually laughing at some of the new things that open up because its just so fucking good.

The main thing I am focussed on right now is identifying the patterns for the sync attacks. There seems to be loads of opportunity for syncing or even recovering after getting hit but a lot of practice required to make best use of them. Also, the FINISH THEM windows seem to be really small at the moment with my Legion usually ripping the enemy apart before I get the chance to hit the B button but again, with practice it will be like playing a beautiful instrument!

You did the football thing too? ^_^

Oh, and i get a bit confused with the finisher move thing too. I hit 'A' when the prompt comes up to finish them, but what exactly do i have to press next? I've been trying 'A', but not sure if im doing it right. You mentioned pressing 'B'. Should i be pressing that instead? Also, when do you press it? I noticed that your bracelet flashes blue for a very brief moment during the animation. 

30 minutes ago, Wiper said:

It's the "activate yer legion" flash, so left trigger. Though I'm not sure what it actually achieves! 

I don't know whether i'm activating or not. I think its supposed to replenish your health if you get it right.

As far as I can tell you gain health no matter what, but perhaps it increases with a well-timed return of your legion.

Are we talking about 2 different moves? I get a ‘press A to finish’ on nearly dead enemies. You have to do it quick though and it shows a brutal finishing move animation.

• Upvote 1

We are - you press A and regain health after the finisher; some finishers (against stronger enemies, I think) also trigger a "legion return" prompt at the end of the animation to draw back your legion after it excises the enemy's cube, though what hitting or missing the prompt actually changes isn't entirely obvious. 

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I’m confusing things with my press B bullshit :facepalm:  but it’s press A as prompted and then sometimes you get a sync flash where you can increase the gain from the execution.

How much are people using the sword slice during combat? I used it on a big enemy pretty much by accident and it gave me 2 targets on its arms to slice. I missed them of course but it’s a crazy technique to build into the combat given the pace things are moving. 

4 hours ago, Benny said:

My most important question I have for those playing is: is it as good as Vanquish?

It's very different, is the only real answer I can give. It's definitely a worse third-person shooter, but then Vanquish is a significantly worse brawler. On balance, I prefer Astral Chain, but it's very different in pretty much every way; different combat, different storytelling, different aesthetic, different structure.

Vanquish is a genius level take on the third person shooter formula. It’s melee combat is incredibly crisp and powerful but also minimal. It is an incredible game!

Astral Chain is the culmination of every great piece of work Platinum have ever done. It blends platforming and puzzles seemlessly with the combat in a way that makes even Zelda seem slightly flat. But the most important point is that the combat and gameplay system is on another level from anything I think we have ever seen before.

So it’s a different beast from Vanquish and makes direct comparisons difficult but anyone who has even the slightest interest in Platinums work or the action game genre absolutely NEEDS to play it!

Y’know, I thought I’d love this. I’m a big Platinum fan and all the videos and stuff I saw of this made it look right up my street. But.........I think it’s kind of rubbish? 

The controls are clunky, hate the setting, the police are fuckin narks. Can’t stand forced dialogue. The gathering clues stuff when it’s obvious/I don’t care. The stupid quizzes after doing the clues stuff. 

All of it just feels so tedious to me. I’m absolutely not understanding why people are raving about it so much. It’s nothing on Bayonetta. 

• Upvote 1

This is why I'm on the fence about it too. Despite the great ideas and presentation of Nier Automata in practice it could be pretty tedious and the combat flashy but lacking depth. Overall I'm glad I played Automata though due to its world, atmosphere and imagination. Everything I've seen of Astral Chain just gives me deja vu of the last gen game design tropes and tiresome bits of Automata, hopefully I'll be proved wrong. 

• Upvote 1

I feel the same. I played through the first few files and feel I was convincing myself to enjoy it because it’s a Platinum game.  

The combat’s okay, but the clue gathering and stuff just isn’t for me.

The clue gathering stuff is SO boring. If it was clever and interesting with actual investigation and discovery I wouldn’t mind, but everything is so obvious it feels like it was put together for children. And you HAVE to go through clunky dialogue telling you about something that’s staring you right in the face. The world being so dull and empty too doesn’t help, very 360 era design of going over to things and pushing a button to make a scripted event happen. Everything in the world is just waiting for you to interact with it. We’re in the systemic era of games now and this just feels ancient by comparison. Then you get past all that and think “great, time for some combat” but honestly it’s incredibly basic and frustrating. I’m already really tired of the little cutaway animations where the legion grabs the cube thing and my character feels so immobile and stuck to the ground. There’s a surprising amount of things the game expects you to do for what is actually a fairly simple combat system.

What REALLY annoyed me was the section where you HAVE to do a tour of the police station. I just wanted it to be over. That stupid dog thing wasn’t helping. Also I’m wondering what kind of people put together the idea of this police force? Are we supposed to be impressed by them? They’re total assholes, snooping in on conversations (HATE that mechanic) and chasing/tying/arresting people for nothing.

ALSO: yay nepotism.

Wow, I can see why some people may be put off by what you mentioned, but to me, its part of the charm.

I find the combat quite deep, considering you have 3 different weapons, and 5 different legions. Plus there is the synch moves, the special moves for the legions, all the different abilities etc.

I like that the detective stuff and side quests breaks up the combat. Most action games like this are just pure combat. This is a jack of all trades, and it may not master them all, but i think it does a pretty good job.

• Upvote 1

I’m struggling to understand how anyone could find the combat system in Astral Chain basic. Being frustrating early on I get because there is so much going on and it’s not easy to pull off what the combat system has to offer without a bit of practise but it is far from basic.

If players treat the system like a standard hack and slash then it will most likely disappoint as it has a totally different angle to it with the Legion control and interaction. But criticising the game because it tries something new and it’s not instantly obvious or accessible to pull things off I feel is unfair.

For context, prior to about half way through File 2 I was genuinely worried about the combat and did up to that point feel like it was greatly exaggerated how good it was, but from that point on it’s been incredible. Platinum never do anything by accident when it comes to their systems and the plot within the first hour or so mirrors perfectly your perception of how Legions can be used. But from about midway through File 2 onward it’s ground breaking stuff for me!

• Upvote 2

I'm on file 6, and still adore it.

At no point in the game did i think the combat is basic. If anything, id say its a little overwhelming how much you can actually do in combat. I'll be there smashing shit out of enemies, using my legion to do the same, and totally forget i can chain these buggers up, or do the move where you get pulled into the enemy, and hit them, or the move where you catch an enemy in your chain, and fling them backwards, or i'll forget to hold ZR to get a fancier x-baton move, or i'll forget to press LZ and Y or X to do the legions special moves.

Basic....:lol:

• Empathy 1