Astral Chain - Out now and it's great!

Up to file 3 now. Things are getting interesting. I like how it's not a pure action game as there is a lot of down time between the combat.

But still can't get over how good this looks on this little console. How the controls are not to complicated and suit handheld mode perfectly.

Anyway onwards need some more D ranks.

Just finished Siege (File 3?) I'm still not very good at the combat. Lots of Ds :) I just can't get the dodge and sparkling attacks down fast enough and that last mission in the mall had too much sticky shit on the floor. I find the combat works best when there's a large open arena.

My main beef though is why on earth didn't they voice the potagonist? They obviously have the voice actors since the one you don't choose is voiced! Makes no sense and is actually really, really weird in this game.

Apart from that I'm having fun. I just wish I could dial in the combat better.

I just spent some time in the ladies toilet and can now customise the colours of my outfit! Have unlocked 3 legions, but focusing only on the Sword legion when levelling up. It’s good fun this, already looking forward to playing through it again - first play through of Platinum games always feels like a tutorial.

• Upvote 1

I thought about the whole silent protagonist thing and on balance I think I prefer it to a voiced one. It’s all very plucky anime style so a voice actor would probably just be in that theme and grate. This just seems to fit in better with the whole aesthetic for me. The dialog is written in such a way that you’ve got a silent protagonist who is at the mercy of whichever blowhard they’re talking to, and all the gags are based on that. 

I was playing File 08 last night and it actually reminded me very slightly of BOTW. Running around a fairly large environment, with a very Japanese feel, packed full of charming characters. I just wish there were more discoverable stuff rather than clearly labelled missions. 

I really hate the sword slice mechanic, though (the L button power for the Sword legion). It’s awkward as anything to control and line up. 

• Upvote 4

Re the sword slice, my brain keeps thinking left and right on the right (sorry, left) stick will rotate the slice angle. It doesn’t seem to. It appears the top of the slice is wherever the right (sorry, left) stick is pointing? Taking far too long to learn.

• Empathy 1
7 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I really hate the sword slice mechanic, though (the L button power for the Sword legion). It’s awkward as anything to control and line up. 

Especially when you’re up against a time limit because a boss (or other enemy) is shooting at you. I just can’t line it up before getting hit so I just start relying on luck - slashing wildly until it works.

1 hour ago, Monkeyspill said:

Especially when you’re up against a time limit because a boss (or other enemy) is shooting at you. I just can’t line it up before getting hit so I just start relying on luck - slashing wildly until it works.

Remember to press the right stick in to slow down time. 

You can use it fairly up close if you get the abilities which do damage along the chain. 

Pro-tip: if you use Hit Rush, it unchains your Legion and if you switch to another, you can have multiple legions active at once. 

As much as I love it, this game has the worst case of moron enemy, ever. She keeps banging on about how you’re being tricked but never just spits it out. 

• Upvote 1

I've only just realised that the Legion abilities in the slots are activated by X and Y when ZL (or L2 as I think of it) is held down, I'd just been using lots of chain attacks and couldn't work out why abilities were marked X and Y when pressing that just made me waste items trying to use them in the middle of a frantic fight (most likely down to a tutorial I wasn't paying attention to). Breaking one free then summoning another one (and being able to control which one comes is next in the queue) is just so brilliant. It kind of reminds me of the different weapons in Bayonetta where I only really got the hang of a few combinations, in Astral Chain it's easy to fit them together however you prefer to play with the bonus of not having to remember a massive number of combos (at least so far...). It kind of feels like The Wonderful 101's combat system but made much more logical and accessible and so far is where I can feel Kamiya's influence very strongly. I do kind of hope the astral plane changes appearance later on or the combat arenas get more varied, while they're fun to play through the same red colour scheme in each one makes me wonder if it could get a bit tiresome.

Nobody can do amazing intros and levels where you think you've won only to be confronted by something even more crazy over and over again quite like Platinum, glad they've kept the intro screen giving the name of each new enemy as that always made it feel much more epic in Bayonetta rather than random fodder enemies popping up to pad for time. I also love how the side-missions aren't just down to wandering down every corridor on the off chance there's something to do, they'll be marked on your radar and you can do them or not. Although saying that so far I've apparently missed quite a few so I wouldn't be surprised if there's ones that aren't marked for you. Thank God for the ability to move between HQ floors without having to use the lift every time, I wonder was that added in during playtesting because I can imagine other games just leaving it in as is and disregarding wasting the player's time. I think it says a lot about the game that you want to use the training room even just to try some move and ability combinations that you've thought of while not even playing the game.

• Upvote 3

The last boss is a bit of a bastard. Will try again tomorrow.

In other news, I ran out of space on my in game photo album so deleted some shots. Then took the chance to look through my past pictures and it was like looking back story of my journey so far. Mostly via comedy selfies but still, quite nice.

8 hours ago, Strafe said:

The last boss is a bit of a bastard. Will try again tomorrow.

In other news, I ran out of space on my in game photo album so deleted some shots. Then took the chance to look through my past pictures and it was like looking back story of my journey so far. Mostly via comedy selfies but still, quite nice.

Is there any point saving photos in game rather than by using the standard Switch screenshot button?