rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Astral Chain - Out now and it's great!

I hope it has been a success for them. I remember hearing they had hopes they could turn this into a trilogy of it did well enough.

2 hours ago, Mugman said:

Do we know how many files there are? I think I'm on 5 at the moment and loving it. 

I'm on 12, which I think is the last one...

• Upvote 1

Started playing this earlier and saw it wanted to do a day 1 update. Had to ignore that as on my hols and my Switch is going to be offline for a week. Up to file 03 now and just wanted to know whether applying the update later will risk my save file? Anyone have any idea?

I really do like this, especially in terms of the world they’re building out. The whole opening sequence was one of my favourites from this year - probably beyond. 

Wish I hadn’t started on default difficulty though. I find myself spamming the same few moves (chain wrap is a big one) with little incentive to be creative.

Only on file 3 (or 4) so might change it up — is the next one up hard, or just more of your Bayonetta level difficulty?

I wasn't expecting to like the bits that weren't pure action when I heard about them in reviews but the investigating parts are done well so finding little hidden things while trying to solve the case is proper fun.

I was gonna get the Pro controller but instead decided to go for the £15 8bitDo USB adapter so I can use different controllers. I've only just bought a new Xbox controller so £55 seemed a bit silly when all it would have extra would be HD rumble and the amiibo stuff that I can just do with the joycons if I ever need to. Yet to try it but looking forward to the combat without my hitting the wrong buttons due to me being so used to the DS4 and Xbox pads. Pretty sure I've a Wii-U Pro controller somewhere that I bought for Bayonetta 2 so will have to dig that out as well.

Edit : Surely with this hitting number 1 in the physical sales chart (I suspect the digital sales would push that number way higher) they'd be crazy not to port Wonderful 101 to the Switch now??

10 minutes ago, deKay said:

Is there a way of showing cut scenes again? I pressed pause only it skipped it :(

I've done this twice. Really annoying. 

Up to file 3 now. Things are getting interesting. I like how it's not a pure action game as there is a lot of down time between the combat.

But still can't get over how good this looks on this little console. How the controls are not to complicated and suit handheld mode perfectly.

Anyway onwards need some more D ranks.

Just finished Siege (File 3?) I'm still not very good at the combat. Lots of Ds :) I just can't get the dodge and sparkling attacks down fast enough and that last mission in the mall had too much sticky shit on the floor. I find the combat works best when there's a large open arena.

My main beef though is why on earth didn't they voice the potagonist? They obviously have the voice actors since the one you don't choose is voiced! Makes no sense and is actually really, really weird in this game.

Apart from that I'm having fun. I just wish I could dial in the combat better.

Anyone having problems with eavesdropping not working? I'm in IRIS, walking my Legion next to the target, but pressing A does nothing? I've saved and restarted, but same thing happened. ?

I just spent some time in the ladies toilet and can now customise the colours of my outfit! Have unlocked 3 legions, but focusing only on the Sword legion when levelling up. It’s good fun this, already looking forward to playing through it again - first play through of Platinum games always feels like a tutorial.

• Upvote 1

Pleasantly surprised by the structure, combat and presentation of this. Sadly, it also suffers from the worst case of silent-protagonist-ism ever. It hampers just about every cut scene for no reason. Baffling decision. :wacko:

I imagine it saves a bit on dialogue writing and recording.

And maybe it was a creative decision to make you identify more with you as the character (girl in purple leather shorts). But it fails hard.

I thought about the whole silent protagonist thing and on balance I think I prefer it to a voiced one. It’s all very plucky anime style so a voice actor would probably just be in that theme and grate. This just seems to fit in better with the whole aesthetic for me. The dialog is written in such a way that you’ve got a silent protagonist who is at the mercy of whichever blowhard they’re talking to, and all the gags are based on that. 

I was playing File 08 last night and it actually reminded me very slightly of BOTW. Running around a fairly large environment, with a very Japanese feel, packed full of charming characters. I just wish there were more discoverable stuff rather than clearly labelled missions. 

I really hate the sword slice mechanic, though (the L button power for the Sword legion). It’s awkward as anything to control and line up. 

• Upvote 3

Re the sword slice, my brain keeps thinking left and right on the right (sorry, left) stick will rotate the slice angle. It doesn’t seem to. It appears the top of the slice is wherever the right (sorry, left) stick is pointing? Taking far too long to learn.

• Empathy 1

7 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I really hate the sword slice mechanic, though (the L button power for the Sword legion). It’s awkward as anything to control and line up. 

Especially when you’re up against a time limit because a boss (or other enemy) is shooting at you. I just can’t line it up before getting hit so I just start relying on luck - slashing wildly until it works.

1 hour ago, Monkeyspill said:

Especially when you’re up against a time limit because a boss (or other enemy) is shooting at you. I just can’t line it up before getting hit so I just start relying on luck - slashing wildly until it works.

Remember to press the right stick in to slow down time. 

To be honest I've gotten by thus far without really using it. You get enough other bits from the other Legions to not need it for S+ ranks pretty early on. 

Finally got the 5th legion last night, and i have to say i'm liking him a lot.

In fact, I'd say i'm a fan of most of the legions except the arrow one, and thats only because I prefer to be in the enemies face.

You can use it fairly up close if you get the abilities which do damage along the chain. 

Pro-tip: if you use Hit Rush, it unchains your Legion and if you switch to another, you can have multiple legions active at once. 

As much as I love it, this game has the worst case of moron enemy, ever. She keeps banging on about how you’re being tricked but never just spits it out. 

• Upvote 1