rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Astral Chain - Out now and it's great!

18 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

You wear a hat to hide all that lovely hair?

Heathen

It's a good hat.

Left it hanging on chapter 8/9 to go back and S rank the earlier files and string this game out as long as I can. Am I close to the end?

44 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Left it hanging on chapter 8/9 to go back and S rank the earlier files and string this game out as long as I can. Am we close to the end?

Not really a spoiler but

Spoiler

There are 12 files.

• Upvote 1

There is nothing “progressive” about allowing public amenities to be defaced by graffiti; anyone who can avoid a graffiti-bombed park or commercial thoroughfare will do so, since tagging shows that an area is dominated by vandals who may be involved in other crimes as well.

A9A5C745-2873-4DEA-A753-3CE432D6689D.thumb.jpeg.30a613d9619acc4990fe033f7e09d547.jpeg

• Upvote 2

On 16/09/2019 at 21:35, BadgerFarmer said:

Just finished it. Amazing final boss battle. And just a fantastic game start to finish.

Its a great battle (and game) but

(possible end boss spoilers !)

Spoiler

it is kicking my butt! I've died enough to realise some good ways of avoiding the (fucking) instadeaths. I had it down to about under 70% (now down to about 50% D:) health but at that point I run out of health items. Feeling I may have to go back and redo the level to get better results from the the white area Rez looking bit before this. Playing on Pt standard. (hoping this is actually the last boss. There are so many enemy varieties in this game :O . Any tips welcome cos I am grinding my teeth a little)

3 hours ago, mrpranny said:

Its a great battle (and game) but

(possible end boss spoilers !)

Hide contents

it is kicking my butt! I've died enough to realise some good ways of avoiding the (fucking) instadeaths. I had it down to about under 70% (now down to about 50% D:) health but at that point I run out of health items. Feeling I may have to go back and redo the level to get better results from the the white area Rez looking bit before this. Playing on Pt standard. (hoping this is actually the last boss. There are so many enemy varieties in this game :O . Any tips welcome cos I am grinding my teeth a little)

I had my ass kicked first time and s+’d on the second. My mistake was

Spoiler

Trying to use my preferred tactic of the blaster baton from a distance, chipping health down gradually.

Big mistake, he has some nasty ranged attacks so I switched to the big sword and smashed his face in up close and personal. That worked just great.

• Upvote 1

TBH I just did whatever I could and used a ton of healing items to get through. It wasn't pretty but I got there somehow.

Maybe one day I'll go back and actually try and learn it properly.

Yeah, I'm not very far in, and playing on Pt style from the start, and getting D on most combat sections so far. Looking forward to it clicking and getting some S ranks in.

Cheers, I went back and brought some more of the right items, did all the last section again. Thankfully I kept 2 saves at the same place :D . Did it first try but my hands got a workout

• Upvote 1

Stealth can get to fuck, File 10 is pissing me off, I need this finished now so I can move on to Zelda and more Tetris before Dragon Quest XI hits.

I've enjoyed the combat and the story, but cba with the investigations, they have not really clicked with me, but the story... oh that is good, very good :)

13 hours ago, smac said:

Yeah, I'm not very far in, and playing on Pt style from the start, and getting D on most combat sections so far. Looking forward to it clicking and getting some S ranks in.

S+!

I was improving towards the end for sure. A trickle of S+ amongst the Cs and Ds. Sometimes it seems a bit hit and miss though - I feel like time can be as big a factor as anything else, but haven't really tested it out yet.

I'm not feeling this at all so far (File 3). The detective missions are terrible and the level design totally bland. Also not liking the camera at all :( Not sure I'll keep playing.

• Upvote 1

On the final file and if it wasn’t for the ridiculous replay value this has I would be very sad about finishing it. I understand the investigations and stealth bits can be a little tiresome compared to the frantic, absolutely incredible combat main course but I often find them a nice change of pace.

Focussing on the combat, this is as good as anything Platinum have ever done. Absolutely gorgeous visually and the depth to the system is bonkers. So happy :wub:

• Upvote 3

Man, that final boss is hard as nails. Playing it portable feels like it makes it harder. Especially as when your health is low in portable it’s really difficult to see what’s going on. 

I'm well into file 12 on this now. There's tons of it.

The only real issue I've had with this since the start is the camera/lock on system. But now I've just switched the camera options to 'Follow enemy under attack' and I think it's made a real difference. For some reason it's the one option I hadn't tried before, and the others didn't seem to help.

• Upvote 1

It does, you have to change it from the Start screen for reasons unknown. I much prefer it also, but be warned: there's a fair bit of combat dialog you may miss. They do like to waffle on mid-battle.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Wintermute said:

It does, you have to change it from the Start screen for reasons unknown. I much prefer it also, but be warned: there's a fair bit of combat dialog you may miss. They do like to waffle on mid-battle.

Agreed, I gave the Japanese voices a try but ended up switching back to English as the subtitles were just too distracting during fights!

Currently on chapter 6 and, I've got to say, I'm not loving it... :(  On paper it should be right up my street (Platinum? Character action game? Yes please), but the combat just isn't clicking. I find it really hectic, but not in a good way, mainly due to a combination of poor camera framing, difficulty in reading/seeing enemy attacks amid all the chaos, and poorly (to me, at least) telegraphed attacks coming from off-screen. The Legions and the controls in general just feel really fiddly too, and I don't feel much connection between my inputs and the Legion's actions (I had a similar experience playing as V in DMC 5 so I think this style of deferred combat perhaps just isn't my bag). Occasionally it comes together and feels great... but not consistently. Having hazards dotted around the stage (holes in the ground, or damage/stun areas that you have to clear up with a particular legion) really breaks my flow too - I want to be wailing on enemies, not doing admin to make sure its safe to do so. Perhaps that's the issue? I'm wanting to play it Bayonetta style and get right in there amid the action, when I should be hanging back more?

The astral plane platforming/traversal is also infuriating! The fact that your your jumps can be blocked by small bits of debris on the ground, coupled with your Legion being able to drag your character when the chain is fully extended, has resulted in countless falls when trying to jump to other platforms (especially when using the jump-round-a-corner poles). I love the real-world setting, but I'm increasingly feeling demotivated whenever I get dragged through a gate and have to spend twenty minutes traipsing around another identical looking red area and falling off things.

But yeah, I don't think its a bad game by any stretch, its just a shame when something like this doesn't resonate with you as much as you hoped it would.

• Upvote 1

The last boss has soured the game for me considerably. I think I have to start the whole chapter again and buy about a million health packs before I start it. 

@HarryBizzle Have you checked you don't have any health packs that aren't assigned to your item wheel? I was in the same situation last night, but then noticed I had a bunch of items in my inventory including one which replenished all my lives!

Just now, JonnyLaurence said:

@HarryBizzle Have you checked you don't have any health packs that aren't assigned to your item wheel? I was in the same situation last night, but then noticed I had a bunch of items in my inventory including one which replenished all my lives!

I did check. I've got 3 full heals and 3 heal-alls, and that's it, unfortunately.

@misterSquare Have you tried changing the settings so the camera follows your targeted enemy?

It makes a huge difference and I can’t for the life of me figure out why it’s not the default setting.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

The last boss has soured the game for me considerably. I think I have to start the whole chapter again and buy about a million health packs before I start it. 

Same for me, although I've finished it. It needed to be challenging, but it was a huge step in difficulty for me compared to everything before it.

14 minutes ago, pledge said:

Same for me, although I've finished it. It needed to be challenging, but it was a huge step in difficulty for me compared to everything before it.

Yeah, it's insane. I think I've S ranked every other encounter in the level. He's got a number of really cheap attacks and it's kind of putting me off wanting to replay it. I'm waiting until I'm in the mood to restart the whole bloody chapter.