Astral Chain - Out now and it's great!

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

I think it’s amazing. So polished, so much to see and do. The police station really feels like a proper hub full of individual characters.

Plus, it looks incredible, even on TV mode and I have it on a 65” 4K set. Possibly the best looking switch game yet?

My only complaint so far is that I couldn’t give my sister the haircut I wanted whilst playing as the guy, she just goes out as the default and didn’t even take my eye colour. Oh well.

I'm going to play a bit more. 

I've literally just done the intro, some banging J-Pop and title cards have come up and I've already had goose bumps and wondering WHEN the Netflix series is coming, the premise seems ripe for a monster of the week proceedural, but anyway, enough of that, time to fuck off home from work and play this in bed :)

Just now, HarryBizzle said:

Yeah, where you catch charging enemies. 

From what I can tell it’s automatic. Think it’s a missed opportunity for a QTE button mash or something to increase damage/stun time, though.

I love it. It takes a while to get going, but once you start upgrading your x-baton and legion, the combat really opens up. Love all the police stuff too, the investigations, the side quests. 

Been taking selfies with all my squad this evening ^_^

Oh, and it looks bloody lovely in handheld mode too.

As far as I can tell, even File 2 is firmly in prologue territory. It's only once you finish it that they start teaching you the good stuff. Can't wait to do File 3 and actually put the stuff I've just learnt to use.

It looks fantastic. Wonderfully sharp on my 4K TV and I briefly had a look in handheld and it looked brilliant there as well - no low res blurry nonsense.

Make sure you go into the menu and get the rewards for every Order you complete!

23 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

I really wouldn't say it looks sharp. I was wondering if I was playing it on a Wii with a component cable at the start. 

You might want to check your TV and Switch output settings.

Theres a bit of aliasing but on the whole I’m really impressed by it.

I love the anime cyberpunk feel. At the beginning when you’re on the bridge and the helicopter comes in above you it feels wonderfully like Bladerunner. 

Pretty sure I'm going to send this back. 

Already not enjoying the 'RPG' elements that Japanese developers seem to think means running around a map till you find a waypoint and talking to someone to advance the plot. 

Not take a fan of the art style either. 

Worth a try. 

1 hour ago, Horribleman said:

Already not enjoying the 'RPG' elements that Japanese developers seem to think means running around a map till you find a waypoint and talking to someone to advance the plot. 

Worth a try. 

Man, you are such a contrarian. I swear you buy games you know you won't like just to sigh loudly when the rest of us are giggling like schoolkids.

Or maybe I do you an injustice and you're just the victim of your own unbounded optimism, let down by tawdry reality.

Either way - sorry you didn't get on with it, man; I haven't played it yet, so I'll tell you if when I find out you're wrong. :wink:

51 minutes ago, smac said:

Man, you are such a contrarian. I swear you buy games you know you won't like just to sigh loudly when the rest of us are giggling like schoolkids.

Or maybe I do you an injustice and you're just the victim of your own unbounded optimism, let down by tawdry reality.

Either way - sorry you didn't get on with it, man; I haven't played it yet, so I'll tell you if when I find out you're wrong. :wink:

I can come across like that but I'm just quite fussy. I drive my wife mad with my movie opinions too. 

I'm genuinely hoping things are good though! Just already doing a few things I don't find too much fun. 

3 hours ago, Horribleman said:

Worth a try. 

If it's the LE I'll take it off you if you like.

9 minutes ago, Stanley said:

My reflexes aint what they used to be, and I struggle with very in-depth combo sysyems, but I love the look of this. Is there still fun to be had just romping through it?

There are several difficulty options. Casual Mode is the default and it seems pretty easy, loads of consumables and stuff. I'm only a few hours in but that's also the nature of Platinum games. Romp through and then if you really want to master the combat, there are lots of options to raise the skill ceiling. 

Apart from the investigations being too easy (only bit of the game I can S rank :seanr:), my only real complaint is that it’s 30fps and sometimes things are just too frantic to be able to see what the hell is happening. 

@Stanley The combat seems to be largely timing based rather than button combos. The timing windows are nice and wide though, I think it’s a lot more accessible than Bayonetta/TW101. 

Up to file 2 it was a bit so-so, but file 3 was awesome. It just kept going and even though it was saving I didn't want to stop until it ended, and then it was nearly 2am.

The co-op is fun but pretty frustrating. The legion player controls the camera which feels really weird.

I'm finding this pretty difficult now. There's a mandatory training mission in file 3 which prohibits the use of health items and revives, and I get wiped before I can make it to the end. Is P Standard actually making the combat tougher or is it just scoring your efforts and reducing the amount of revives you get?

31 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

@Stanley The combat seems to be largely timing based rather than button combos. The timing windows are nice and wide though, I think it’s a lot more accessible than Bayonetta/TW101. 

I wouldn't say this at all. I'm finding the timing windows for dodging to be extremely narrow. It's particularly difficult against groups of fast enemies, where dodging one can smack you right into the attack of another enemy i.e. not very forgiving invincibility frames either.