rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
carleton

Blockheads - my free C64 platformer

On 15/02/2019 at 09:32, partious said:

Thanks a lot for the reply, it`s interesting to hear that people just hadn`t really thought of it as a mechanic. It seems so obvious in hindsight ;)

Even as a player it`s getting to a stage where games are so bloated/time consuming/flashy that there`s a desire to go back to basics.

Being able to make new games for real retro hardware is the ideal but the skills involved are just completely out of reach for an adult with no real programming experience.

Stuff like pico-8 and other "fantasy consoles" seem to offer a far gentler alternative. Playing some pico-8 games recently I realised that the constraints of the format seem to encourage the devs to focus more on making the core gameplay fun. Often not having the freedom to keep adding more and more ideas/mechanics/stages to a game seems to result in a game that while simpler, is more fun to play.

That said, the fantasy console stuff can`t compare to the feeling of actually playing on the real retro hardware.

Looking forward to seeing more of your game.

Have you heard of the book "retro game development, c64 edition" I bought it but only read bits of it, seems a gentle intro to coding on real hardware. https://www.retrogamedev.com

Rise from the grave!

I eventually went back to this as it felt too nice to waste. It's ended up as an entrant in the 4k Craptastic Competition (2 bytes under the limit at 4094 bytes).

There's already been a bit of beef between the people who've played it over getting a good time on level 2. 

The current record for normal mode on this level is 8.72 by a guy testing it for me in the US

I always miss getting underneath the ridge on the second set of trampolines.

My video also shows a bit of the casual mode (no spikes) and the two player split screen mode.

• Upvote 2

Excellent news, I loved the early version of this.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Camel said:

Excellent news, I loved the early version of this.

Do you want to test this version for me @Camel?

2 hours ago, Camel said:

Would love to, yes please.

Thanks, I've PMed you the link.

• Upvote 1

This looks like a great game, love the style and is it really that small???? Can’t wait to try it on my C64!

(the main character looks similar to one of my favourite games on the Spectrum, Crazy Caverns, which is no bad thing!)

1 hour ago, gone fishin' said:

This looks like a great game, love the style and is it really that small???? Can’t wait to try it on my C64!

(the main character looks similar to one of my favourite games on the Spectrum, Crazy Caverns, which is no bad thing!)

Yeah it's that small. It's pared back to fit in there though. 5 single player levels and 5 two player levels only. Basic sound as well. Most of the memory is in the player control code and the levels themselves even though they're simple.

I can send you a build if you want to try it out. I would appreciate a little feedback and for it to not go any further though.

Crazy Caverns looks fun. Blockheads is an ideal candidate for a Spectrum game actually, quite tempted to code it.

Has the record for level 2 moved on since you posted, @carleton? Got round to playing this tonight and I've managed 8.50.

Your DM said the record was 7.72 so I'm glad I checked this thread as I was all wtaf:D

IMG_6232.thumb.JPG.545c06f0d8ec237ce24b5e3183545c64.JPG

Have to say, I love this game so much. Would definitely pay for a physical release with a load more of the normal levels.

The controls are absolutely spot on for a time attack game :wub:

11 hours ago, Camel said:

Has the record for level 2 moved on since you posted, @carleton? Got round to playing this tonight and I've managed 8.50.

Your DM said the record was 7.72 so I'm glad I checked this thread as I was all wtaf:D

IMG_6232.thumb.JPG.545c06f0d8ec237ce24b5e3183545c64.JPG

Have to say, I love this game so much. Would definitely pay for a physical release with a load more of the normal levels.

The controls are absolutely spot on for a time attack game :wub:

7 seconds was a typo. 8.50 is really quick, definitely the best I've heard of! Do you have a video? Thanks for the kind words, I think it's a fun game too.

No video I'm afraid. I'm playing on a CRT and it's hard even getting a screenshot.

2 hours ago, Camel said:

No video I'm afraid. I'm playing on a CRT and it's hard even getting a screenshot.

Quite interested to see where you're making up that extra time. You must have a little trick others aren't doing.

In the video above, the guy slides down the leftmost wall. I stick next to the spikes and bounce off the wall at the bottom to the right instead. Sliding down a wall slows you down. Could be that I guess? I'll try to get a video.

Yeah, I've always thought jumping from the right wall would be quicker. That's how I got my quickest time. He only briefly slides on the wall so would only lose the same speed you do on the right.

Also he waits for the character to fall down onto the single trampoline in the middle of the level at 0:16. I just walljump up that wall ignoring those trampolines.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, merman said:

It's ace :hat:

Thanks.

There's a quite similar game called Dots which looks more basic but has used the memory save there to include a few more gameplay features. Most of which I wanted to add to a more full featured (i.e. not in 4k) version of Blockheads. 

• Upvote 1

Did anyone beat my time?

It's such a good game. Hope you a do a bigger version.

I'm wandering whether it's your jump over the top right spike as you get to max velocity immediately down the drop. I "run" over the spike so hit the edge of the next platform losing vertical speed.