IGNORED

Rian Johnson Star Wars trilogy cancelled.

Unofficial Who

18 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I took away that the way to do that was to stop with the absolutes - good jedi, bad sith - for something less stringent and more 'natural' because all jedi vs sith had done for thousands of years was cause trouble. 

They are bad though, like they've established the Jedi are kinda shitty, but they never establish the Sith as anything other than one-dimensionally evil. So this comes off as unearned, a false "both sides" apologia, plus of course, neither the franchise holder or the fans want the series to definitively end.

Like, presumably we'd want the audience to root for the conclusion, it's hard to do that when they're all genociders who use indoctrinated child soldiers. It doesn't work.

I didn't get any kind of "both sides" stuff from the film. Yoda's lesson to Luke isn't "the sith and the jedi are the same, yeah?", it's that the strength of the Jedi wasn't their books and their rules, it was people like Rey, who strove to do the right thing and to fight against evil. So feel free to ditch the books, but don't cut Rey loose because she represents everything you thought was good and worthwhile.

DJ, later on, gives a kind of 'both sides' speech, but he wasn't saying both sides are as bad as each other, he was saying that no matter how just your cause is, you'll need weapons to fight for it, and that someone somewhere is making a lot of money off your morally justified killing. And anyway, DJ is an amoral turncoat who betrays the protagonists for quick buck, and who is hardly portrayed as being the moral compass of the film.

I didn't say there was, I said Dr Sharks idea for Pt 3 relied on that being there, when it wasn't.

I think the best thing to have done would be for Rey to have joined Kylo at the ending, you immediately shift into a different status quo we haven't seen before, there's a personal and emotional core plot setup, a role for the whole cast (including Rose), and "kill the past" is a great villain motivation, especially in something that's been previously so overly referential. But then she says no and it reverts right back to where everyone was in Force Awakens.

Like lots of people really want to scapegoat JJ and lay all the sins at his feet (especially now he's cancelled), but everyone involved is really a part of the problem. When they're losing more directors than they've made films, it's pretty clear something was fucked at all levels.

1 hour ago, K said:

I didn't take that from the Last Jedi. Luke wants to end the Jedi when he's at his most bitter and withdrawn, but Yoda shows him that there is some value to their teachings - as evidenced by Rey, i.e. "they are what we grow beyond". The message of the film is not to bring down the Jedi or to let the past die, but to keep the good bits and ditch the bad stuff. Which I think may possibly be a metaphor for Star Wars as well. 

Yeah bang-on pretty much (from the art book, apologies for the rough cropping):

A229BF58-8A58-4CAA-A61F-45BE16944478.thumb.jpeg.5955c3530d69f959fe468ddcee478806.jpeg

D11CE6B9-6389-4495-B3A9-ABFB6C765C45.thumb.jpeg.edf2edef43e583b738108004623f8604.jpeg

Calling it part 8 of a 9 part thing is quite a lofty description.

Lucas had already pissed all over it with the prequels and fortunately someone paid billions to take his crayons away. There was no great 7 film thing at all when TLJ was made. At that point there were 3 great films 3 dreck filled tedious films in Star Wars cosplay and an “almost” remake of the first.

8 hours ago, K said:

DJ later on, gives a kind of 'both sides' speech, but he wasn't saying both sides are as bad as each other, he was saying that no matter how just your cause is, you'll need weapons to fight for it, and that someone somewhere is making a lot of money off your morally justified killing. And anyway, DJ is an amoral turncoat who betrays the protagonists for quick buck, and who is hardly portrayed as being the moral compass of the film.

DJ suggests the same people makes weapons for both sides, which was stupid and not how the military industrial complex works.

Yoda knew she had taken the books before he burned it and thus like everything else in the film was completely fucking pointless and too clever by half. You get the whole film's problems in that moment.

Yeah that DJ bit with the hologram never sat right with me. That there was some company making brand new x-wings for the resistance? I thought they were old pieces of shit when the rebels had them and then these new guys were just flying another batch they had found. 

Abrams desire to have the recognisable silhouettes made sense for the First Order, who were Empire wannabes that could order new ships that resembled their favourite tools of oppression, but it didn’t really make sense for the Resistance who should just be grabbing whatever junk they can find lying round. 

40 minutes ago, Darwock said:

I haven’t seen this movie - why is WW attacking those children? Why does she drop them on a road in front of traffic and try to crush them?

Laws of physics. Another thing Patty doesn't have a clue about.

Although to be fair, neither do JJ Abrams or George Lucas.

• 5 months later...

More news. (Although nothing has changed.)

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/rian-johnson-star-wars-trilogy-is-back-burnered/?

The best thing to happen to Star Wars movies since lightsabers doesn’t seem to be happening anymore. Rian Johnson, who directed Star Wars: The Last Jedi, is not actively working on the Star Wars trilogy that Lucasfilm had tapped him to produce after he finished The Last Jedi. Speaking with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, Variety discovered that the Rian Johnson Star Wars trilogy had been put on the backburner, with Johnson’s work on the upcoming Knives Out sequel keeping him too busy.

“Rian has been unbelievably busy with Knives Out and the deal that he made at Netflix for multiple movies,” Kennedy said when queried about the trilogy, which Variety calls “Back-burnered.”

tl:dr version It's still cancelled but more so.

I think Kennedy's comments were fairly ambiguous, and I think it could still definitely happen one way or another. I doubt Lucasfilm would want to roll the dice on a trilogy, but a single film might be more likely. I hope it does - TLJ reinvigorated my love for Star Wars. It's flawed but ultimately served up some of the finest Star Wars there's ever been. 

People don’t half over egg  how subversive the film that ended with the status quo of a tiny rebellion versus an evil Empire was.

Mind you next to JJ Abrams hackwork anything looks amazingly creative and unconventional.

Trying to figure out why they keep needing to re-confirm this. It’s over. He’s not coming back. Even if they go to Rian cap in hand and he will be like “I am remaking Columbo with Natasha Lyonne now, what could you possibly offer me”.

1 hour ago, K said:

most of the current decade

Not very long in the context of Star Wars. Rian Johnson is pretty young as directors go as well. Sure we'll see what happens...

Nah it's done. There's no way he'd want to deal with that again.

And it's a real pity, it's my favourite of the two of the three of the new trilogy I watched. (The final film was hated by both people who loved and hated The Last Jedi so I decided to skip it.)

I think it's a real loss for Star Wars though and I'd love for him to make another. What would I prefer were he not to come back...

https://www.polygon.com/star-wars/23093238/star-wars-taika-waititi-next-movie

The next Star Wars movie will be Taika Waititi’s mysterious upcoming project, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy told Vanity Fair.

I HAVE CHANGED MY MIND. THIS IS A FAIR EXCHANGE.

1 hour ago, Unofficial Who said:

(The final film was hated by both people who loved and hated The Last Jedi so I decided to skip it.)

:huh: why would you not watch it and just make up your own mind...

14 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

:huh: why would you not watch it and just make up your own mind...

Don’t listen to this advice. Everybody would be better off with having never seen episode IX.

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

Don’t listen to this advice. Everybody would be better off with having never seen episode IX.

It really is a load of shite.

Spoiler

But still somehow better than all of the prequels.

17 minutes ago, Paulando said:

It really is a load of shite.

Hide contents

But still somehow better than all of the prequels.

Prequels had characters I actually cared about and was interested in seeing their storylines through despite the crap films. The new ones? Not so much.