Retro Asylum Podcast: Arcade Archive

Swainy

The other three people with the same name have never appeared on the show. Please don’t mix them up, I would hate for this situation to become even worse with innocent people being accused of someone else’s behaviour & crimes.

1 minute ago, Swainy said:

The other three people with the same name have never appeared on the show. Please don’t mix them up, I would hate for this situation to become even worse with innocent people being accused of someone else’s behaviour & crimes.

They've been charged haven't they?

12 minutes ago, Swainy said:

Issue is I don't know which of these people are the one that was on the show. They all have the same name, they all appear in "retrogaming media", and I don't actually know what all of them look like either.

13 minutes ago, Swainy said:

They’ve pleaded guilty and are being sentenced on Monday the 23rd.

Thought so. If it is public knowledge it seems weird to hide his identity, particularly when you've said you'd hate the other people with the same name as him to be mixed up in it. There's potentially people thinking, 'Oh X who did X is an X'. I don't mean to sound accusatory I just have incredibly low tolerance for this kind of abuse and the anonymity gives him a level of protection that leads a bad taste. On the other hand by naming them it potentially causes even more confusion and unneeded potential pain for those with the same name. I don't envy the position you've all found yourselves in, but you're absolutely right to delete the content in question.

25 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

I suspect the two that are still active on social media. If the accused is being held pending charges I suspect they won't be tweeting. If they still own a device to tweet from.

Neither of them have tweeted today.

9 minutes ago, strider said:

Thought so. If it is public knowledge is seems weird to hide his identity, particularly when you've said you'd hate the other people with the same name as him to be mixed up in it. There's potentially people thinking, 'Oh X who did X is X'. I don't mean to sound accusatory I just have incredibly low tolerance for this kind of abuse.

Well the reason that I didn’t want to identify who it was is because for one, this person has a 16 year old son and a wife who I can only imagine are going through hell at the moment and I certainly didn’t want to add to their pain. Secondly he was arrested in December and I only found out last week so despite it being public knowledge, I certainly didn’t want to put his name out there. It only dawned on me this morning (we put the statement out last night) that there were other people in the retro scene with the same name.

If you know the name, do a search and you will find an article all about what he has done and that includes a picture of him and info about where he is from.

2 minutes ago, Swainy said:

Well the reason that I didn’t want to identify who it was is because for one, this person has a 16 year old son and a wife who I can only imagine are going through hell at the moment and I certainly didn’t want to add to their pain. Secondly he was arrested in December and I only found out last week so despite it being public knowledge, I certainly didn’t want to put his name out there. It only dawned on me this morning (we put the statement out last night) that there were other people in the retro scene with the same name.

If you know the name, so a search and you will find an article all about what he has done and that includes a picture of him.

As I said it's a difficult situation.

Just now, Swainy said:

Well the reason that I didn’t want to identify who it was is because for one, this person has a 16 year old son and a wife who I can only imagine are going through hell at the moment. Secondly he was arrested in December and I only found out last week so despite it being public knowledge, I certainly didn’t want to put his name out there. It only dawned on me this morning (we put the statement out last night) that there were other people in the retro scene with the same name.

If you know the name, so a search and you will find an article all about what he has done and that includes a picture of him.

Just to follow up on this I don't know the law in the UK but if it's similar to Australia then you can actually get in legal trouble naming people

-if the court process isn't complete (in which case post sentencing is fine)

or

-if by identifying the guilty party you risk exposing the identity of any victim / survivors.

It's a difficult enough balance if you're in the legal profession, I don't envy the balance @Swainyhas to maintain here. I think he's done the right thing here.

Just now, strider said:

As I said it's a difficult situation.

Yeah it is and there is no easy solution to it. We’ve tried to handle this as carefully as possible. It’s not every day that you find out that an ex colleague is a sicko. 

Weird that people feel they need to get involved with what the people at Retro Asylum should or shouldn’t do.

It’s an option to acknowledge the shit situation, do your own googling if you’re curious and not start telling people who are in a shit situation that they’re doing something that you think is wrong.

Right, it's a fairly shit situation for @Swainy to be in here, knowing that whatever he and the pod team do will be the wrong thing in some eyes, not to mention finding out that someone you have associated with fairly closely is a fucking sicko. 

Purging the episodes and moving on is prob the best thing, it's fairly trivial to find out who it is anyway if you really want to know. 

3 hours ago, elmo said:

Weird that people feel they need to get involved with what the people at Retro Asylum should or shouldn’t do.

It’s an option to acknowledge the shit situation, do your own googling if you’re curious and not start telling people who are in a shit situation that they’re doing something that you think is wrong.

I don’t feel this is what people are really doing though. They’re just saying it’s confusing because it’s not only a common name it’s also shared by other well known members of the community. And that the understandable vagueness only added to it.

32 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

I don’t feel this is what people are really doing though. They’re just saying it’s confusing because it’s not only a common name it’s also shared by other well known members of the community. And that the understandable vagueness only added to it.

strider said it was “weird to hide his identity”

They’re not hiding it.

8 hours ago, elmo said:

strider said it was “weird to hide his identity”

They’re not hiding it.

Hide isn’t the right word but that’s just one person and their point was simply that the more vague it was the more likely it was that the wrong people would be presumed to be the guilty party.

1 hour ago, Rex Grossman said:

Hide isn’t the right word but that’s just one person and their point was simply that the more vague it was the more likely it was that the wrong people would be presumed to be the guilty party.

ok mate.

1 hour ago, elmo said:

ok mate.

I get that that all this has affected those of you who crossed paths with him more than people who just heard his voice on a podcast but I think you're directing your annoyance at the wrong people. There's only one person to be upset with here and it's no one in this thread.

4 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

I get that that all this has affected those of you who crossed paths with him more than people who just heard his voice on a podcast but I think you're directing your annoyance at the wrong people. There's only one person to be upset with here and it's no one in this thread.

But you yourself had two qualifying factors to your statement. “They used the wrong word” “it was only one person” So I’m not really sure where you’re coming from.

Personally I think accusatory language is a bit out of order here.

15 hours ago, elmo said:

Nonsense. These issues affect many people in many different ways. It's absolutely fine to discuss it calmly and openly. Which is all I see here. It's called adult discussion and it's how the world moves forwards. 

It has been handled well on both sides of the discussion. 

8 minutes ago, nakamura said:

Nonsense. These issues affect many people in many different ways. It's absolutely fine to discuss it calmly and openly. Which is all I see here. It's called adult discussion and it's how the world moves forwards. 

It has been handled well on both sides of the discussion. 

ok I disagree but I’ll leave you to it.

A lot of our American audience seem to absolutely hate Ocean. As a Speccy & Amiga owner back in the day, I liked the majority of their output.

8 hours ago, Swainy said:

A lot of our American audience seem to absolutely hate Ocean. As a Speccy & Amiga owner back in the day, I liked the majority of their output.

I do feel like they were bad on consoles and I’m guessing that’s what Americans experienced.

On 27/05/2022 at 21:45, Rex Grossman said:

I do feel like they were bad on consoles and I’m guessing that’s what Americans experienced.

I agree. I don’t think much of their home computer output reached the states, so gamers would’t have got chase hq, head over heels, wizball and other classics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Swainy changed the title to Retro Asylum Podcast: Arcade Archive