Retro Asylum Podcast: Arcade Archive

Swainy

HIcM5UT.png

It’s been a while but we are back!

Mads and Chris talk to Dean Mortlock and Paul Monaghan of Sega Powered and Daniel Crocker of WAVE Game Studios about the latest issue of Sega Powered magazine. They also announce the shortlist for the August/September RPG game club.

https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/retroasylum/Episode_287_-_Sega_Powered.mp3

• Swainy changed the title to Retro Asylum Podcast: That’s What We Call The 90’s
2 hours ago, Swainy said:

Well we did think that it might help lighten the mood 👍

This might be a bit early but have you got any plans for Xmas episodes? I'm still hoping for some 8 bit wars to replace the ones that were removed. 

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

This might be a bit early but have you got any plans for Xmas episodes? I'm still hoping for some 8 bit wars to replace the ones that were removed. 

To be honest I’ve not thought that far ahead yet. It’s a good idea though so it’s something I’ll run by the rest of the team.

• Swainy changed the title to Retro Asylum Podcast: Games Club - Amiga Platformers

I might give this a listen as amiga platformers are often much derided. Personally I quite liked Harlequin at the time. I know Amiga Power loved Titus the Fox and Blues Brothers but they didn't really gel with me.

6 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Can't believe Soccer Kid is in the running. It's a terrible game. 

I know. Unfortunately my views were ignored. Tearaway Thomas is the best of the ones (in my opinion) that were shortlisted.

1 hour ago, Swainy said:

I know. Unfortunately my views were ignored. Tearaway Thomas is the best of the ones (in my opinion) that were shortlisted.

I remember I swapped my copy of the SNES version for Star Wing with another kid at school. I still feel guilty about it.

4 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Even worse I see Soccer Kid won the vote! 😭

Yeah, typical eh? 

Although to be fair I actually spent sometime playing it a day or so ago and once I finally got to grips with the controls I actually kind of enjoyed it.

Saying that, you can see my initial rant about it here: 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjLQxXkImxz/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

And it turns out that you simply press fire to make the ball re-appear which I never knew 😂

5 minutes ago, Swainy said:

Yeah, typical eh? 

Although to be fair I actually spent sometime playing it a day or so ago and once I finally got to grips with the controls I actually kind of enjoyed it.

Saying that, you can see my initial rant about it here: 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjLQxXkImxz/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I believe you can just regenerate a new ball whenever you lose it though? It's still a derivative platformer with almost no redeeming features. I think Robocod might even be better! 

• Swainy changed the title to Retro Asylum Podcast: Planescape: Torment.
  • Swainy changed the title to Retro Asylum Podcast: C64 Games Club Shortlist.
  • Swainy changed the title to Retro Asylum Podcast: That’s What We Call The 90’s PT2
On 19/09/2022 at 16:19, Swainy said:

To be honest I’ve not thought that far ahead yet. It’s a good idea though so it’s something I’ll run by the rest of the team.

Did you manage to get anywhere with a potential Xmas special/8-bit wars? I'll need something to listen to while I'm prepping the Xmas dinner! 

• Swainy changed the title to Retro Asylum Podcast: Soccer Kid
  • Swainy changed the title to Retro Asylum Podcast: Arcade Archive