IGNORED

The 3DS Resurrection thread

Raven

3 hours ago, ryodi said:

It's being removed on the 30th September. It's currently £4.37 in the sale along with discounts for a few other NIS titles if anyone wants to grab it before it disappears.

1 hour ago, Klatrymadon said:

Soul Hackers for under a fiver is a big steal. Get it! 

I'm interested in both but I don't know why.  Sell me on them.

Edit: please :)

I waffled about Soul Hackers a bit here:

Hope it's enough to give you an idea of how it plays! 

Ed: yeah, the cost of the physical copies shot up really quickly, almost overnight. I got it for the same price as the digital version (about £8) two years ago, but checking a month or so later I couldn't see any below £45-50, and they've only climbed from there...

• 3 months later...

I went straight to the 'New' 3DS XL on launch but having got my hands on a non-XL version yesterday I do think it might be better. A sharper image, SNES colour buttons and myriad faceplate options are sorely missed on the XL. 

The new 3ds has its power button right where your little finger goes when you're holding it, especially in a game that uses the triggers. Thought it was a fault when it kept jumping to the "do you want to power off or use sleep mode" message mid game until I realised. I lost track of how many times I've turned mine off mid game and now I hold it with my little finger folded unnaturally and it's really awkward.

19 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

Oh, I get it's only wooden esque, @LaveDisco. But is it textured woodgrain, or?

@LaveDisco isn't wrong. It's deffo plastic (you can easily tell that just by looking at the underside) but the outer surface of it is so crazily wood like that when mine turned up I sniffed, tapped, gently scratched and basically super examined it big time!! Great looking face plate IMO to the point that I don't even remember which or where the ones are that came with my 3DS:

IMG_0520.thumb.jpg.2330d0f0d869f91d6bcf9cc1e93db09d.jpg

IMG_0525.thumb.jpg.2125485294f51244c20227931fde896d.jpg

:).

There’s quite a few nice covers that I picked up. There’s one with a soft felt like later that is great, the matching Zelda Majoras mask designs that Nintendo sent both out for because they screwed up their dispatch, the boo ghosts that glow in the dark and are hugely expensive. I really liked them and I’m glad Nintendo released loads before realising people probably didn’t care that much.

16 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Anyone else really worried what they'll do when their current/only 3DS breaks? :unsure: I'm on my second New XL, and I'm rather depressed about the thought that my 3DS games library will be useless once my New XL eventually stops working (or just has the hinge crack open, like the previous one).

Nope... I've got two on the desk in front of me, currently in "Surgery" ;)

I bet there's as many of these unopened in cupboards as there are ones that have been used. I'm currently on 3 owned, 1 used, 2 sat brand new waiting and, if the thread from over on bordersdown is anything to go by, I'm definitely not alone.

On 07/12/2020 at 15:56, phillv85 said:

I bet there's as many of these unopened in cupboards as there are ones that have been used. I'm currently on 3 owned, 1 used, 2 sat brand new waiting and, if the thread from over on bordersdown is anything to go by, I'm definitely not alone.

I see your collection and I raise you: 1 used 3DS, 2 unopened 3DS, 1 used n3DS and 3 unopened n3DS (one of them a white ambassador one). The used 3DS and n3DS are both showing their age after years of use, with loose thumbsticks and a slightly moved upper screen on the latter.

Keeping a functioning handheld collection includes shelling out for a number of spares I'm afraid. I also have 2DS lites and 2 DSi's,' and 4 GBA SPs (two of which still in sealed boxes). And one of the world's rarest GBCs.

On 06/12/2020 at 16:58, womble9 said:

@LaveDisco isn't wrong. It's deffo plastic (you can easily tell that just by looking at the underside) but the outer surface of it is so crazily wood like that when mine turned up I sniffed, tapped, gently scratched and basically super examined it big time!! Great looking face plate IMO to the point that I don't even remember which or where the ones are that came with my 3DS:

IMG_0520.thumb.jpg.2330d0f0d869f91d6bcf9cc1e93db09d.jpg

IMG_0525.thumb.jpg.2125485294f51244c20227931fde896d.jpg

Really hard to find, even upon release. It took me ages to get one.

My absolute favourite is the hanafuda one though.

11 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Really hard to find, even upon release. It took me ages to get one.

My absolute favourite is the hanafuda one though.

I've got a little ccidental cover plate collection going on now, bought the Wood effect and majoras Mask ones when they were released, aquired the Xenoblade ones a while back, Yoshi and Toad ones, but the latest is this, No 53, and had to buy a fulty 3DS just to get them :)

cover-plates-no-53-new-3ds-.jpg

I’ve got two n3DS XL (Majora’s Mask and Fire Emblem), one n3DS with a load of faceplates I’ve never used and a green 2DS XL that I’m currently using, I love Nintendo handhelds. The 2DS XL is nice and light but the inbuilt speaker is awful compared to the 3D models.

As for reliability I’m sure they’ll all be fine, my DSi’s all still work. My biggest worry if something does break is doing the system transfer, no matter how many times I do it I always find the process never wracking watching the data move between systems hoping my internet doesn’t die during the process.

52 minutes ago, Vimster said:

I'm after a New 3DS as opposed to a "new" one ie in the box, makes it a lot harder to find, surprisingly. By all accounts though even second hand they're going for over £100, even the DS at this stage was sub-£50. 

I picked one up for 40 quid last year, which was just a case of being patient and checking Facebook marketplace regularly. 

13 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

I see your collection and I raise you: 1 used 3DS, 2 unopened 3DS, 1 used n3DS and 3 unopened n3DS (one of them a white ambassador one). The used 3DS and n3DS are both showing their age after years of use, with loose thumbsticks and a slightly moved upper screen on the latter.

Keeping a functioning handheld collection includes shelling out for a number of spares I'm afraid. I also have 2DS lites and 2 DSi's,' and 4 GBA SPs (two of which still in sealed boxes). And one of the world's rarest GBCs.

I've said this before here, but: one of the best things about the Switch as a handheld is that all of the controller parts are innately detachable, so you don't get the worn out problems that other all-in-one machines get in that area. The number of 3ds sticks I've seen worn to a (second) nub isn't ideal and in my experience they're the most frequently worn parts and the first to go.

It's also really lucky because the joycon drifty sticks are rubbish for longevity. I wonder how Switch Lites are faring. 

21 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

One of the reasons I didn't get a Switch lite.

Nah, it's fine, pulling it apart to get to the sticks is a little bit of hassle, but on an equal level, if not easier, than changing them in a Joycon. I bought a faulty / stick drift one of eBay a while back, had the sticks replaced in half an hour, the fact most things on the Switch, even inside, are modular, is great for repairing.