IGNORED

The 3DS Resurrection thread

Raven

• 3 weeks later...

At least it's possible to buy 3DS games direct from the website if you don't want to go through all that; I was distressed to be reminded that, as of November, you can no longer purchase Vita or PSP games from the Playstation webstore, you have to do it directly from the Vita/PSP itself :(

On 08/12/2020 at 23:37, Keyboard Koala said:

I see your collection and I raise you: 1 used 3DS, 2 unopened 3DS, 1 used n3DS and 3 unopened n3DS (one of them a white ambassador one). The used 3DS and n3DS are both showing their age after years of use, with loose thumbsticks and a slightly moved upper screen on the latter.

Keeping a functioning handheld collection includes shelling out for a number of spares I'm afraid. I also have 2DS lites and 2 DSi's,' and 4 GBA SPs (two of which still in sealed boxes). And one of the world's rarest GBCs.

I’ve got about 30-35 3ds’s. Every special edition one with the exception of the choddo Mario one, and a few other “normal” ones besides.

7 hours ago, Professor Puzzles said:

I've just downloaded Etrian Odyssey 4 on a whim, so now I've got another massive 3DS game I'll probably never finish. 

Just FYI, to put funds on the 3DS now you have to either use an eshop gift card or log onto a Nintendo website to merge your funds between the Switch/3DS/Wii U. You can't use debit/credit cards anymore.

I grabbed that this week as well, along with SMT Strange Journey Redux. I spend 80 minutes a day on a quiet train so my 2DS XL is getting used every day, and I'm working through my huge backlog

Mentioned here:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/07/atlus_teases_next_stage_in_etrian_odyssey_series#comments

Etrian Odyssey X is a culmination of the Etrian Odyssey series thus far, as well as the last Etrian Odyssey game for 3DS. But of course, that means the last “for 3DS.” The last title for 3DS is nothing other than an announcement for the beginning of the next stage.

We are now moving quickly toward a completely new world for the Etrian Odyssey series that everyone has supported thus far. We are working hard to realize this passion as quickly and properly as possible, so please continue to give us your support.

For me, the manual mapping system has always been a bit of a double edged sword. It definitely adds to the feeling that the map you’re drawing is your creation. There’s an added sense of ownership to the adventure. On the other hand, it does sometimes feel like an admin exercise. Rather than gaze in wonder at the magnificent tree of life you’re instead looking down at graph paper, painstakingly checking off each box one by one.

Personally, the battle and character/squad creation system have always been the bigger draw. Plus having a dungeon that’s actually a pleasant place to explore. Plus, plus, an RPG where the focus is on the player having an adventure, rather than endless lines of poorly written dialogue clogging everything up.

I think a Switch version could work really well if they focus on developing those aspects. Also, a more interesting on-line component could really work well for the series.

Anyway, to get back to the 3DS for a minute, I never really got on with the console. I picked up the “old” model ages ago and for some reason it just didn’t have the magic that the DS Lite had.

But being locked down again meant that I really need to lose myself in something for hours on end, so what better way to achieve that than the Etrian Odyssey games post 3 that I’ve barely played.

So I’ve started 5 and I’m loving it. So much so that I’ve ordered a second hand Pearl White New 3DS XL from CEX to see if that’ll have the same DS Lite magic to it.

I love the mapping bit of them. Only played Untold up till now but finished both the Persona Q games which is what got me on to the mainline. They are Etrian games skinned basically. I’ll enjoy going at the others in the future on the 3DS

The story in the PQ games is utter guff, but it’s totally fine to just fast forward through it to get to the dungeons. That’s what the games are all about for me, and the dungeon crawling is involving enough to enjoy without the story. It exists purely to explain why the Persona characters are suddenly in this new world with these new mechanics, which is as awful as you can imagine.

2 hours ago, Professor Puzzles said:

Will it affect eshop functionality?

Yes probably, but your previous post said you wanted a "new dual-screen retro handheld compatible with DS/3DS, like that analogue pocket thing" and if that did exist you'd surely be loading it up with ROMs right?

• 1 month later...

Picked up a new 3DS XL on eBay last week and have spent many happy hours revisiting Super Mario 3D Land which is every bit as good as I remembered.

I also got Pilotwings Resort (used to have this too).

Then I got A Link Between Worlds which is pretty brilliant so far!

The games I got with the system are Captain Toad (already have on switch but the 3D looks great), Triforce adventures (had a brief look), Sushi Strikers (not started) and AC Happy Home Designer (also not started).

On order I have Ridge Racer 3D (used to have this), Dead or Alive (for about 3 quid and reviewed really well) and Metroid: Samus Returns.

I’ll probably get Majoras Mask down the line and Luigis Mansion remake (I used to have Dark Moon, no real desire to play it again).

Any other recommendations?

I’m thinking I might get Mario Kart 7 again (used to have that, too) but can’t remember how many of the tracks got recycled for MK8 which I have.

On a related note - is there any real reason to get Smash Bros 3DS considering I have Ultimate on Switch?

Good choices there - I think Pilotwings and Ridge Racer are two of the best pick up and play games.

I'm a big fan of Mario 3D Land and Donkey Kong Returns but they are pretty much once and done.

Rhythm Paradise Megamix is one of my favourites although not a great use of 3D it is by far the most complete release of that series of games.

Altus have an insanely good 3DS library though a lot of it is digital only in Europe.

Regardless, Shin Megami Tensei IV is excellent (but also very challenging) and I’ve seen many people rave about SMT: Strange Journey. They went on sale a while back and unfortunately there’s no way of knowing if they will go on sale again anytime soon.

Fire Emblem Awakening is great if you aren’t heavily into SRPGs and don’t mind games where you can grind to win.

It’s a bad Fire Emblem game but an excellent game on almost every other imaginable metric.

Fire Emblem Echoes also worth a go and is cheaper than Awakenking. It has dungeon crawling and plays more like a traditional RPG.

23 hours ago, Strafe said:

Oh yes I got Steel Divers too, which is entertaining enough for the price I paid for it.

I got that as for fiver as early as 2012 (or 2013?). It was fun. I think the negativity was mostly because it was sold for thirty odd quid at launch on cartridge, when it would’ve been sold as an inexpensive eShop download release a year or so later.

Anyway, does anyone think that Metroid Federation Force is worth the 3 quid that Argos as asking for it on eBay?

9 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I got that as for fiver as early as 2012 (or 2013?). It was fun. I think the negativity was mostly because it was sold for thirty odd quid at launch on cartridge, when it would’ve been sold as an inexpensive eShop download release a year or so later.

Anyway, does anyone think that Metroid Federation Force is worth the 3 quid that Argos as asking for it on eBay?

It looks terrible and isn’t really a Metroid game but apparently it’s supposed to be quite fun. And for £2.99 I don’t think you can argue 

Persona Q2 is £8.74  and Strange Journey, Radiant Historia and Etrian Odyssey Nexus are all £6.74 in the current sale. Radiant Historia is an absolute steal at that price and SMT IV is on offer every few months along with the rest of the Atlus games.