The 3DS Resurrection thread

Raven

On 10/02/2021 at 15:36, Strafe said:

Dead or Alive (for about 3 quid and reviewed really well) 

This plays pretty well! Rock solid 30fps, popping 3D and responsive. Well worth the £3.

And yes, they do move.

• 2 months later...

Basically back in late January I decided to get a new 3DS XL off eBay so I could play Mario 3D land again.

Its fair to say it snowballed somewhat, involving buying a brand new, new 3ds XL SNES edition, an official Japan charging dock and even eventually managing to get a copy of Monster Hunter Stories this morning.

There’s probably a few more left to get but I’ve got the main ones I wanted.

If anyone’s looking at building/expanding your collection then CEC is pretty good (though despite all the games being boxed some of them will be label re-prints. If you’re ordering online then I don’t think there’s a way of telling but you can always return them.)

Amazon can be useful - the Luigis Mansion remake is the French version (which runs in English if that’s what your machine is set to) and was £12 cheaper than the UK version. There’s often some occasional flash deals so keep an eye out.

Then there’s eBay obviously. And Argos!

This is a timely bump.

I picked Shin Megami Tensei IV back up again on a whim after taking a break on it and I must have spent 8 hours on Saturday playing it.

It really is a solidly designed RPG. The different species of demons, quest set ups and slowly expanding map of Tokyo make it so the gameplay loop never tires.

I’m at the 32 hour mark and have not long reached Shibuya but I’m positive the game still has at least another 30 hours in it, and not in a bad way either.

Shame it was a download only game in Europe. E-shop is a goldmine for SMT with Strange Journey, Soul Hackers, IV Apocalypse and Devil Survivor 2 bolstering the selection.

If I beat it in time I’ll might buy Nocturne HD on day 1. Or start Strange Journey.

• 3 months later...

I fancy an XL. Is it worth getting the New one with the little joystick nub? It's only a few games that use it, right?

Are there any other benefits like better picture? Or should I just get a cheaper XL vanilla?

I’m a little worried about my 3DS.  I have a New 3DS XL that I got when it launched but I’ve noticed that the battery hardly lasts any time at all when it’s in Sleep + Streetpass mode. Even on a full charge I can barely get more than a few days when I used to get at least a week.  Ordinary play (without Streetpass) on a charge seems shorter too though I couldn’t swear to it.

Is this a sign that the battery might be on the way out? Nintendo don’t do replacements anymore & Amazon appears flooded with unreliable knockoffs, so I don’t know where to get a reliable replacement.

It’s definitely worth getting the new model. Faster load times, the nub works on some exclusive ‘new 3DS games’ and a few have been patched to enable it as well (majoras mask).

Plus with games like Smash and Monster Hunter Stories you don’t have to reboot the system when exiting the game.

I think the screen goes brighter too but don’t quote me on that.

3 hours ago, Jarik said:

I’m a little worried about my 3DS.  I have a New 3DS XL that I got when it launched but I’ve noticed that the battery hardly lasts any time at all when it’s in Sleep + Streetpass mode. Even on a full charge I can barely get more than a few days when I used to get at least a week.  Ordinary play (without Streetpass) on a charge seems shorter too though I couldn’t swear to it.

Is this a sign that the battery might be on the way out? Nintendo don’t do replacements anymore & Amazon appears flooded with unreliable knockoffs, so I don’t know where to get a reliable replacement.

My battery has been on the road out for a number of years now. I get maybe an hour out of it with the WiFi turned off, brightness on full, and battery saver turned on.

I need a new battery ASAP.

22 hours ago, Couch Corpse said:

What emulators do you guys recommend?

Not an emulator as such but TwilightMenu lets you play DS games off the SD card. It does do GBA too but it's not recommended. 

On 24/08/2021 at 20:15, Fallows said:

My battery has been on the road out for a number of years now. I get maybe an hour out of it with the WiFi turned off, brightness on full, and battery saver turned on.

I need a new battery ASAP.

After looking through Amazon, this one appears to be the best bet:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07262B3RP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_QVPVENBKYX46X84X47FY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It's the one with the highest frequency of positive reviews, but there are sufficient negative ones sprinkled in amongst them to make me think that a bad experience/defective unit is just a risk that you run.

Edit:  I’ve decided to go for it.  I’ll be sure to report back on how it works out.

I actually have less 3DS games than I thought. Luckily I still have Dragon's Quest 8, which you might find me mention from the very start of this thread... that I did not finish. That's the new 3DS XLs purpose. Only really had Ocarina of Time on a cart, and Link Between Worlds and Luigi's Mansion 2 downloaded.

Is it worth picking up the downloaded ones on cart? I don't trust Nintendo since they killed the Wii eShop 

Oh, and just bought Mario 3D Land, Paper Mario and M&L Superstar Saga, but cart only because I'm not collecting  ... are any of the other Mario RPGs worth getting? The reviews are all over the place. 

Anything else along these lines I'm forgetting about?

18 hours ago, AK Bell said:

I actually have less 3DS games than I thought. Luckily I still have Dragon's Quest 8, which you might find me mention from the very start of this thread... that I did not finish. That's the new 3DS XLs purpose. Only really had Ocarina of Time on a cart, and Link Between Worlds and Luigi's Mansion 2 downloaded.

Is it worth picking up the downloaded ones on cart? I don't trust Nintendo since they killed the Wii eShop 

Oh, and just bought Mario 3D Land, Paper Mario and M&L Superstar Saga, but cart only because I'm not collecting  ... are any of the other Mario RPGs worth getting? The reviews are all over the place. 

Anything else along these lines I'm forgetting about?

KID ICARUS UPRISING

If you like RPGs SMT Devil Survivor, Persona Q, Soul Hackers, Stella Glow, Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 and 2, Etrian Odyssey 4, Culdcept Revolt and RPG Maker FES are all currently under £5 on the eShop which is a bargain. Physical copies got for ridiculous money now. 

13 hours ago, ryodi said:

If you like RPGs SMT Devil Survivor, Persona Q, Soul Hackers, Stella Glow, Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 and 2, Etrian Odyssey 4, Culdcept Revolt and RPG Maker FES are all currently under £5 on the eShop which is a bargain. Physical copies got for ridiculous money now. 

Are any of them classics? I'm tempted.

Great. Those pics from above have now got me wanting to expand my collection. Bought a a couple of Zelda’s across a few formats. eBay’s not bad. See a few silly prices for mint stuff but I’m not fussed about them being mint. Just nice seeing them on my shelf.  Maybe even playing them but I’d probably just use my hacked 3ds to do that for convenience. 

2 hours ago, strawdonkey said:

Are any of them classics? I'm tempted.

They are all 'if you like this type of game you'll like these'. The Etrian Odyssey games are all very similar with the Untold's being like Persona Q is that you can choose to play them with set characters and a storyline. Devil Survivor is a great SRPG, Soul Hackers is a port of a old PSOne / Saturn game so isn't a classic but something a fan of old Shin Megami Tensei games would enjoy. You'd be best looking at YouTube videos for Culdcept Revolt and RPG Maker FES because they are so unique and hard to describe. 

Yeah, I'd actually place Soul Hackers as the really great game in the list, but it's very much an old school dungeon crawler, what with it being a literal 32-bit RPG remastered. I love its atmosphere and presentation, but it demands a lot of the player.