The 3DS Resurrection thread

Raven

On 10/09/2021 at 16:33, Jarik said:

Would you say the 3DS remakes of Superstar Saga & Bowers Inside Story measure up to the likes of Dream Team?  As far as I can tell they’re the same games they were on the GBA/DS & as I’ve already played them through on those consoles they don’t really appeal.

I've only completed the 3DS remake of Superstar Saga and it's the same as the GBA original. It loses a bit of it's charm with the graphic update and the map on the bottom screen makes navigation easier but that's it, if you've already completed SS there are no surprises in it. I got bored of Sticker Star and Mario + Luigi & Paper Mario very quickly the latter because it's a lot of tedious 'find the toads' missions which are no fun at all but my tastes are different from yours because while it looks and sounds great I thought Dream Team was too long and poorly paced and gave up on it as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Keyboard Koala I think it's a good shout but I personally wouldn't pin it on a - or that - specific record. It's not the same song to my ears but it's a reasonable throw in the general direction, IMO.

Didn't the 3DS Mii Plaza song suite have about seven completely different variations that unlocked over time? I remember going through collections of audio rips on khinsider to find the one I loved which only stayed accessible for a short time on the console (in order to use it a home screen theme). 

Nintendo's thing for the kitschy easy 60s Latin organ-driven lounge sound all over the Wii / 3DS era is a thing but there are thousands of period pieces with that sound as it was a legitimate pop music craze for a minute there.

I don't think you'll find the 'original' - rather, countless tunes that sound similar.

If anyone needs some joy stamped out of them you know where to find me.

I agree with @Keyboard Koala. The menu music sounds beyond pastiche and more directly ‘inspired by’ that track.

There’s a fair bit of borderline plagiarism in popular Japanese games music; I mean, the soundtrack from Outrun is a mashup of a range of city pop tunes, and then there’s this at the one minute mark…

While we're talking about outside creeping into game music, I've always enjoyed that the riff at 1:41 of this classic bit of city pop appears to have influenced a certain Italian plumber's soundtracks:

[Taeko Onuki's Les Aventures de Tintin, in case the video ever disappears]

(of course, nothing quite compares to my personal favourite example of the greatest form of flattery flattery; the intra-video-games thievery of Star Fox going full "Afterburner? Never heard of her")

2 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

So, I just got my old 3DS back off my sister-in-law and the dpad is sticky and it also takes ages to boot up. Is there anything I can do about the boot speed? Also, are they easy to open?

Really easy to open, and the D pad is accessible once the board is out, probably some gunk under it.

Slow boot, erm, dunno, maybe needs a restore?

• 2 weeks later...

My fire emblem 3d's XL is coming back from CEX unrepaired. It boots but fails to read anything from either the cart port or the micro sd port. Turning it on get nothing but a blank screen (creating impression its a screen fault) but hold down the home or power button long enough and you did get that screen that asks if you want to shut down or go to the home screen.

Nintendo have stopped support so I may as well get myself a New 3DS XL but seems a shame to let that lovely old case on my dead one go to waste....also not sure that I will be able to get any of my downloaded content transferred across to any replacement console of Nintendo no longer support it.

While I knew about stuff like Garou/Robert Miles and Bare Knuckle/Technotronic/The Shamen, I didn't know about the Nintendo/city pop&jazz stuff. Shameless! These game music inspos might be new thread-worthy I reckon?

42 minutes ago, mwaawm said:

My fire emblem 3d's XL is coming back from CEX unrepaired. It boots but fails to read anything from either the cart port or the micro sd port. Turning it on get nothing but a blank screen (creating impression its a screen fault) but hold down the home or power button long enough and you did get that screen that asks if you want to shut down or go to the home screen.

Nintendo have stopped support so I may as well get myself a New 3DS XL but seems a shame to let that lovely old case on my dead one go to waste....also not sure that I will be able to get any of my downloaded content transferred across to any replacement console of Nintendo no longer support it.

Is it a New 3ds or the old style?

2 hours ago, mwaawm said:

Its an old style XL

Well, if you fancy letting me lose on it, I can have a "look" at it... or, I can bung a USA mobo in there ( that works ) and stick CFW on it, you'll be able to play all your games, but DLC is region specific and won't work downloaded directl from Nintendo, but if ou want to "find" the D:C you already bought and install it, that will work.

Fuck CEX and their shit tam of fixers, there will be a way round getting that shell back in use ;)

• 2 weeks later...