IGNORED

The 3DS Resurrection thread

Raven

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

Finally got round to buying A Link Between Worlds today, and been enjoying Ridge Racer. Would like a New XL though the standard size is a little too small. 

I got a new xl last year. I love it. 

I just bought a New 3DS XL from the OG CeX - time to dive in I suppose! They had Bravely Default available in store, so that seems as good a place as any to start, but Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Super Mario 3D Land are on my list - I’ve looked at a couple of websites discussing must-have eShop exclusives, but they don’t really float my boat, so advice welcome. 

Is Mario Kart 7 different enough from 8 to warrant a purchase? 

Can't comment on mario kart, is it mostly first party stuff you are interested in @Popo?  I'm a big fan of the fire emblem games so would recommend them every day of the week, there are also some fantastic DS games that are available to you :)

Shin megami tensei IV is meant to be really good (in my backlog though)

Monster hunter stories

Xenoblade chronicles 3d

Radiant Historia

Those would probably be my top picks for exclusives in addition to bravely default.

Thanks guys - @Luseth, I'm mainly interested in the first party and/or exclusive stuff, and yes Fire Emblem Awakening caught my eye, as the reviews seem glowing.

Disappointed to see Ridge Racer isn't available on the eShop, so I'll keep my eye out for that. 

I enjoyed Paper Mario on the Switch a lot, Sticker Star is on my list.

Samus Returns is definitely on the list too - I see it's £40 on the eShop.

My most played 3DS game is Picross Round 2. It's so satisfying chipping away at the blocks and seeing what it produces. I find it a fair bit easier than regular Picross and music is so good. It's really cheap to pick up too.

2 minutes ago, Popo said:

What!  A Link Between Worlds is only £15.99 on the eShop, that's a bit of a bargain I would have thought?

It's under £13 on amazon , free shipping ( cart only though, but does mean you can sell it after you've played it ).

Oh, and go to the eShop, click top left ( Menu ), scroll down to "settings / other " inside that, scroll down to " Redownloadable Software" , then see if you have a hidden free game 😛

A lot of the 2DS family had a pack in game, this was tied to the console and even after a full reset, you can download it if there is a title tied to the system :)

6 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

It's under £13 on amazon , free shipping ( cart only though, but does mean you can sell it after you've played it ).

Oh, and go to the eShop, click top left ( Menu ), scroll down to "settings / other " inside that, scroll down to " Redownloadable Software" , then see if you have a hidden free game 😛

A lot of the 2DS family had a pack in game, this was tied to the console and even after a full reset, you can download it if there is a title tied to the system :)

Great, I have Tomodachi Life available to download, nice find, I think? Thanks for the tip!

Heres a dumb question - where’s the SD card slot?

4 minutes ago, Popo said:

Great, I have Tomodachi Life available to download, nice find, I think? Thanks for the tip!

Heres a dumb question - where’s the SD card slot?

2 screws on the back, pop the cover off and sd card is inside :)

23 hours ago, Popo said:

What!  A Link Between Worlds is only £15.99 on the eShop, that's a bit of a bargain I would have thought?

I think that’s the standard price? Don’t feel rushed to get it.

I’ve been picking up carts on eBay instead. I have this on eShop but I’ve went and bought it again cart-only recently for £11. I know the store won’t be “dead” dead but I’d feel safer having it in a box of carts that I can also share with my kids.

If you like Paper Mario, there are a few Mario & Luigi games that you’d probably like. I got Paper Jam and Dream Team for a fiver each, but Superstar Saga was over £15. Prices are all over the place more depending how rare they are being sold than how good they are.

Good luck finding Zelda Majora’s Mask for anything less than £30 (but 3DS is the best version along with OoT, which you should be able to get much cheaper)

You’ll easily get Mario Land 3D cheap, as well as Luigi’s Mansion 2. But Luigi’s Mansion 1 is pretty expensive due to a limited release. 

I have to recommend Dragon’s Quest 8. It’s the reason I got myself a fancier new 3DS XL

I’m shocked no one has mentioned Kid Icarus yet. When I asked this everyone kept saying Kid Icarus.

With Soul Hackers 2 having been announced by Atlus yesterday now would be a good time to remind people that you get can Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers on 3DS e-shop for under a tenner and that it is an absolute steal at that price.

This is going to sound somewhat backwards, but the compact size and weight of this thing makes it kinda better for playing on the go compared to the Switch - which also needs to be cosseted in a case to protect it. The 3DS is a royal marine commando by comparison - just close the shell, chuck it in your bag and you’re off to the races. 

Looks like 32GB SD cards are the biggest the thing can take, according to this page on Nintendo’s site - I could have swore someone upthread said bigger?

17 minutes ago, Popo said:

This is going to sound somewhat backwards, but the compact size and weight of this thing makes it kinda better for playing on the go compared to the Switch - which also needs to be cosseted in a case to protect it. The 3DS is a royal marine commando by comparison - just close the shell, chuck it in your bag and you’re off to the races. 

Looks like 32GB SD cards are the biggest the thing can take, according to this page on Nintendo’s site - I could have swore someone upthread said bigger?

Calling @deKay to the thread... 😛

38 minutes ago, Popo said:

The new ones can take much bigger, just gotta reformat them 

Thanks all! I just remembered I have a 128GB SD cast off from the Switch - formatted it and now I’ve got stacks of space. Guess I’ll need to fill it with something!

I tell you what, it’s advanced for its age in some ways, but a real throwback in others. The way it obfuscates the battery capacity and available storage in GBs is annoying. 

As lovely as my SNES 3DS is, unfortunately the battery is fucked. It takes hours to charge and then lasts 90 mins. I've found a battery on eBay for a tenner, but it says it's for the standard 3DS XL. Does the New 3DS XL take the same battery, or does it need a different one?

Edit: never mind, I'm pretty sure they're the same,.so I bought one.

On 21/02/2022 at 16:23, MW_Jimmy said:

My most played 3DS game is Picross Round 2. It's so satisfying chipping away at the blocks and seeing what it produces. I find it a fair bit easier than regular Picross and music is so good. It's really cheap to pick up too.

This has been my bedtime gaming for a while now. It's strange how I find 3D Picross easier than 2D. The presentation is just right, very gentle, I like the way they place items you've unlocked from puzzled around the cafe. Not sure whether it's me growing older but I'm finding I like these sort of games more. 

15 hours ago, Popo said:

You have to format them to FAT32 which you can do with a program like GUIFormat/FAT32Format. It'll retain the size of the card you put in. 

46 minutes ago, Vimster said:

You have to format them to FAT32 which you can do with a program like GUIFormat/FAT32Format. It'll retain the size of the card you put in. 

I just whacked it in my Mac and formatted it using the built in Disk Utility app, selecting FAT32. Did I do it wrong? Off the top of my head I’ve got something in the range of 9 million blocks free, which apparently equates to about 1,000 GBs of space, which would be about right. 

Just now, Popo said:

I just whacked it in my Mac and formatted it using the built in Disk Utility app, selecting FAT32. Did I do it wrong? Off the top of my head I’ve got something in the range of 9 million blocks free, which apparently equates to about 1,000 GBs of space, which would be about right. 

Ah you're on a Mac. Windows formatter will only do up to 32gb on FAT32, hence the suggestion for a different program, but if the Mac lets you format anything as FAT32 that's grand. 

8 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Ah you're on a Mac. Windows formatter will only do up to 32gb on FAT32, hence the suggestion for a different program, but if the Mac lets you format anything as FAT32 that's grand. 

Although I've got my 3DS with me today it can't join the wifi so I can't go into the eShop to check free space (is there a way to do this from the system itself?  I couldn't find the info in the system settings) but I do now want to double-check before I start loading it up with games.  I definitely don't have 9 million blocks free as previously asserted, it must be 9 hundred thousand - which equates to about the size of my SD card.  Thanks for the tips!

On 22/02/2022 at 20:47, Popo said:

This! 

Glad someone's said it.  The Switch is a portable handheld in the same way the Atari Lynx was.  You need to pop it in a carry case for safety, unclip the joycons as they could snap off... The Switch is great for connecting to the TV but it's only really portable if you have a rucksack with you, to pop the carry case in.  

My 'New' 3ds XL is modded with a 128gb memory card, my whole collection is on there and it fits in my inside pocket.  It's a perfect little machine (apart from the power button location which leads me to turn it off by mistake because it's exactly where the little finger rests).

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, TomatoConvenienceStore said:

I've picked up a cheap 3DS recently - I had the intention to sell it on, but now wondering if people feel it's worthwhile keeping hold of.

I had one at launch (or near enough) and gave it to a family member a few years ago as I wasn't really playing it. What are your thoughts?

Guess it depends on how much you paid, how much extra you'll make, and if that profit is enough to justify selling or keeping it, only you know how much that extra cash will mean to your finances I'm afraid.