IGNORED

Darkest Dungeon 2

grounded_dreams

I forgot I had this. Bought it cheap towards the end of last year and only played about 5 hours. I just stopped going back after that - I think I just found it too repetitive and never felt like playing it again. There's also something rather uninteresting about the random element - less about coming up with ways to deal with random configurations of stuff and more about blind luck. 

Apparently it's a new "metagame" according to them which is good news, as like you guys I bounced off the final dungeons. It was just too much of a grind to train up two or three squads at once to account for deaths, insanity etc. And then go through the process again and again when they got mullered. The first half of the game though I really enjoyed.

They say the combat will be much the same with some new mechanics. I still think its one of the best "line up" RPG combat systems in the genre.

I could never manage to get enough guys levelled up enough to hit the final dungeon, however I put an unholy amount of hours into the first game. Loved the atmosphere. Was great for playing on Vita.

There's an easy setting now, isn't there? I might start a new game on that.

Also, anyone who enjoys the vibe of HP Lovecraft but can't bring themselves to actually read his stuff, watch the first games intro, its basically a Cliff's Notes on 90% of his stuff. One of the best game intros I've ever seen.

• 2 years later...

Eurogamer have a stream this afternoon. I've not put nearly enough time into the first to justify getting this but I do love almost everything about it. I'm a bit sad to see the graphics transition to 3d models in the second one, though.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Eurogamer have a stream this afternoon. I've not put nearly enough time into the first to justify getting this but I do love almost everything about it. I'm a bit sad to see the graphics transition to 3d models in the second one, though.

Yeah it does somehow lose something with the transition to 3D, will have to play the game to be sure tho. There was something about the first game in how they got such amazing mileage out of minimal animations, I loved that about it. 

I dunno, I have a stream up now and the 3d really seems to add a lot to the animations.

Also, I like how your old associates from the hamlet now turn up in the oddest of places.

Spoiler

Of course, evidently while you were out fighting and dying to save humanity, the caretaker was taking the opportunity to thieve anything of value in preparation to flee at the first opportunity, the untrustworthy prick. :D

On 25/10/2021 at 17:10, Doctor Shark said:

A game I wish there was an art book for. Would buy it in a heartbeat to add to my collection ^_^ 

https://www.fangamer.com/products/darkest-dungeon-art-bookhttps://www.fangamer.com/products/darkest-dungeon-art-bookhttps://www.fangamer.com/products/darkest-dungeon-art-book

I think it was originally part of the kickstarter.

Edit. Suddenly remembered I had that £10 voucher. Seemed rude not to use it for this. Darkest Dungeon is one of my absolute fave games.

So, a quick blast on it just now reveals a game that feels very much in it's early stages of refinement (which is obviously why it's in early access!). Don't think the 3d adds anything to the game at all, but - aside from the travelling stagecoach parts (which seem fairly ropey at the moment) - the battles work nicely with it I think. 

Not sure at the moment. It's not the nicest of starts, which is a little surprising as I think the original had one of the best 'set you off gently and see how you go' intros you could find.

Still, very glad I've got it now so I can forget about it for a while and see how it progresses!

The voice-over chap has still got the best tones ever, so that's good. 

I think the 3D characters and animations are great. Same with the stagecoach ride structure. Just a question of whether it all slows things down too much in the long run.

It's designed to be played through in a single run of about 4 hours - like a long game of Slay the Spire - although obviously you're unlikely to get very far on the first few attempts (I got my first completion on my 5th go). And currently this is only 'act 1' of a planned 5, presumably with later acts acting as harder difficulty levels with different bosses and so on.

Ah, that's great news about the structure. I still never finished the original although I got to the last dungeons, once you lost your team multiple times it was just way too grindy to get back to a point to challenge them again. So this new act structure sounds like a welcome change.

Really like Darkest Dungeon and have games "on the go" on both XBox (Game Pass) and PC (Steam, which I bought a long time ago). A sequel is a very tempting, but even though I like it I'll wait for it to mature and get a price drop.

On 27/10/2021 at 16:40, routeburn said:

Really like Darkest Dungeon and have games "on the go" on both XBox (Game Pass) and PC (Steam, which I bought a long time ago). A sequel is a very tempting, but even though I like it I'll wait for it to mature and get a price drop.

With the £10 voucher for opting in to Epic's emails it makes it £11 and change. It's very tempting.