IGNORED

Darkest Dungeon 2

grounded_dreams

On 01/11/2021 at 04:35, moosegrinder said:

With the £10 voucher for opting in to Epic's emails you get a £10 voucher which makes it £11 and change. It's very tempting.

True. Very tempted. (edit --- aaaaand purchased. That's a good discount.)

For those who're interested in the developers of Darkest Dungeon:

Edited by routeburn
purchase

• 4 weeks later...

Got it with the voucher, been playing a good chunk of DD2.  I'm back and forth on it.  I never really spent any time with 1, I was quite happy going into 2 knowing it was a roguelike.  No spending hours grinding a party up, you just pick up and go.

It looks and sound fabulous.  Nice ominous music, the 3D upgrade means you get some real nice animations (never get tired of Man-At-Arms dragging his mace back along the floor) and of course a certain voiceover returns.  Seems a bit light on lines, but it is early access.

The combat is just as dangerous as DD1.  Some big changes here, most percentages have been replaced by tokens.  So you get a dodge token that gives you 50% chance to evade an attack that gets eaten on a dodge rather than a percentage chance that changes with buffs.  Game does some clever things with the system, debuffs on enemies (even outside the usual damage over time stuff) are very good.  Do not sleep on blinding or weakening a powerful enemy.  

I've got a few issues.  Some of which can be fixed with balance changes, some are more baked in and are more problematic.  I think runs take too long.  I don't mind the fights being slow and methodical.  There seems to be constant chatter between your party, which slows the game down.  You have that damn carriage, which is a good idea in theory but again slows everything down.  If it wasn't for the amount of work they seem to have put into it I'd scrap it.  If you are going to have a Slay the Spire map, just click on a location and throw a pop-up if you get a road battle.  Runs can take 3-6 hours, and getting screwed by some random RNG near the end of a six hour investment is a bit much.

Balance stuff - at the moment stress seems the obvious one.  When game first came out, you could stress heal to 0.  So everyone spent first mastery point on Plague Doctor's Ounce of Prevention, which upgraded gives +1 stress healing to the entire party.  So you pick it, spam it, have minimal stress issues.  Stress is so important as anything at or above 4/10 stress causes negative barks and reaction, which leads to more stress which leads to more barks etc.  You gain stress just by driving, so you can end up with people reaching 10 stress and having a meltdown - which reduces them to barely any HP and ruins relationships.  Bad relationships lead to..you guessed it, more stress.  Good relationships do a load of fun stuff like random heals, buffs and more importantly a lot of passive stress healing.  Game snowballs one way or another.

Dev's solution to this is to put thresholds on stress (it was already on healing).  So now you cannot party heal until stress is 5/10 or above - crucially above the 4/10 mark for negative stuff happening.  So now you pick Jester, upgrade his stress heal skill so it heals for 3 stress and off you go.  There are a few other options - Leper used as a pure tank is excellent as he can self heal, self stress heal and is a big chonky boi.  Taunt people, take the stress onto yourself, then heal it off.  It's the number one most important thing in the game, but right now it feels like it forces you to take certain people and abiltiies.

Abilities is another thing.  Some of the starting abilities and unlocks need a looking at.  I don't mind unlocking new stuff, and some of the shrine events are pretty fun (Grave Robber part 2 notwithstanding).  Some characters are utter trash to begin with.  Hellion almost requires you to do all her shrines to have any fun with her(I think she has to unlock the ability to remove her own debuff, rather than it being a natural part of her kit - it is terrible).  Leper and Jester are usable and fun immediately.  I have no found any use for the new character, Runaway.  Fire is cool but there is an entire area of fire resistant enemies, plus that is all she is good for.  Meanwhile Plague Doctor plagues everything, blinds, heals and that is before you get the real fun stuff later in her pile of unlocks.  It definitely needs a pass.

Trinkets could also do with being looked at.  As you play you unlock new stuff for later runs.  Some of them are utterly useless.  There is a mechanic where you can only use a trinket with a macguffin (which goes in the other trinket slot).  So these will be amazing, game changing trink...oh it's +50% to blight resist.  There are some good ones, but I've yet to see a situation where it is worth going for that over two separate good trinkets.  As an example the only run where I've beat the boss had my leper with +75% chance for lvl 2 armour on miss, and a bonkers +12% heal every turn.  Latter carried my arse, easily best item I've found in the entire game.

Despite all my moans, I cannot stop playing it.  It is still fun.  It can still turn and kill your run immediately, so you have to be careful in all combats.  I'm at the point where I'm looking for fights for more trinkets and stuff.  It's all about the right team comps, or in my case trying to rinse the shrines for new abilities.  Unless you get the voucher or an offer it is hard to recommend as is - I don't doubt game will be massively different whenever the full launch is.