Jump to content
IGNORED

The Saturn Appreciation Thread


strider
 Share

Recommended Posts

There's probably going to be a common set of games in most people's top 25 Saturn games. Mass Destruction was never on my radar before so I'll have to check it out.

 

Good to see Galactic Attack/Layer Section - One of my favourites!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I was scrolling down I saw PDS at no 2 and thought what the heck beat this?

 

Then I realised I was a twat, remembered the sublime Sega Rally port and scrolled down to see your opinion was indeed correct. 
 

Have a gold star. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good list of Saturn greats, nothing unexpected.

 

my only gripe is you didn’t include the most searched retro game, Pandemonium. 
 

Think of the SEO benefits and all the new Saturn gamers you could’ve created!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No Shinrei Jusatsu Taromarou? For shame!

 

I know you have this @strider I've seen it on your shelf, I've held the box, I cheekily slipped the disc out and ran off with it while you weren't looking. You know it's great.

 

I generally hate these sorts of lists. Great games they may be, but there's never any of the cool weird shit in them, because you need to appeal to the mainstream crowd's sense of nostalgia. I've already owned and completed all of those games. Literally all of them back in the day (well, not Mass Destruction). In this late day and age I need novelty. Things I've never played before.

 

I know why everyone does it like this. For the clicks! But don't the masses ever get tired of reading about stuff they know? Is nostalgia that potent a drug?

 

Any chance of a follow up article on the top 25 overlooked gems for the Saturn? You can put Bulk Slash and Taromaru on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got mine down as:


1.Radiant Silvergun
2.Panzer Dragoon Saga
3.Battle Garegga
4.Marvel vs Streetfighter
5.Streetfighter Zero 2 Dash
6.Policenauts
7.Silhouette Mirage
8.Streetfighter Zero 3
9.Panzer Dragoon Zwei
10.Virtua Cop 2
11.Out Run
12.Sega Rally
13.Bubble Symphony
14.Assault Suit Leynos 2
15.Layer Section
16.Elevator Action Returns
17.Thunder Force V
18.Wolf Fang SS
19.XMen vs Streetfighter
20.Vampire Savior
21.Soukyugurentai
22.Dynamite Deka
23.Night Striker S
24.Darius Gaiden
25.Chase HQ
 

Special mention to Capcom Generation 2 and 5 which are god tier but I've left compilations out (I cheated with Zero 2 Dash from Street fighter Collection) :D

The above list is done more on what I've played the most since the late 90s...I've barely played some of the staples like VF2, Nights etc

Went with "I'd rather have a go on this than all the other ones underneath" kind of ordering :) (apart from memorable favourites like Policenauts and Panzer Dragoon Saga).

Also I know Night Striker and Chase HQ are kind of terrible, but I adore them mostly for the nostalgia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

What's the difference between Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Zero 2 Dash?

I think there's just some small tweaks in all honesty :D the only thing I noticed was the Custom Combos are just HP + HK and not 2P + 1K/1P + 2K and I think it has some hidden characters.

I had Zero 2 way back (I think it's still pretty cheap) but wanted Street Fighter Collection too so Zero 2 Dash is the one I tend to play.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, merrychan said:

Also I know Night Striker and Chase HQ are kind of terrible, but I adore them mostly for the nostalgia.

 

Night Striker is an unusual one.

 

The prosecution could argue that it's a bizarre shallow 1993 clone of a 1985 game that was probably considered obscure and retro even when it was new.

 

The defense could say it's the best port of a timeless classic and the nearest Space Harrier ever got to a worthy spiritual successor. Also, the music slaps what's wrong with you.

 

I'm I huge fan, personally. Pop a credit in every now and then, run through it letting the sounds and sights clean my brain out. It's a great session. 

 

As for Chase HQ - the coin-op was legendary to me but it hasn't aged too well in any department. Nostalgia can't save 'em all, sadly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

 

Night Striker is an unusual one.

 

The prosecution could argue that it's a bizarre shallow 1993 clone of a 1985 game that was probably considered obscure and retro even when it was new.

 

The defense could say it's the best port of a timeless classic and the nearest Space Harrier ever got to a worthy spiritual successor. Also, the music slaps what's wrong with you.

 

I'm I huge fan, personally. Pop a credit in every now and then, run through it letting the sounds and sights clean my brain out. It's a great session. 

 

As for Chase HQ - the coin-op was legendary to me but it hasn't aged too well in any department. Nostalgia can't save 'em all, sadly.

Completely agree on all counts, I'm still running on the arcade memories of Chase HQ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks to the always wonderful @ianinthefutureI've now got Rings installed and it makes a huge difference having even low-res cover images included. Being able to actually save games directly to the SD card is excellent as well because it's otherwise a right faff. Now I can keep my 4MB Saturn cart in all the time.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, strider said:

Thanks to the always wonderful @ianinthefutureI've now got Rings installed and it makes a huge difference having even low-res cover images included. Being able to actually save games directly to the SD card is excellent as well because it's otherwise a right faff. Now I can keep my 4MB Saturn cart in all the time.

 

That sounds absolutely brilliant, I don't have a save cart so now and then I'm welcomed back to 1994 when the CR2032 dies in either my standard JP Saturn or my JP Saturn that plays the CDRs.

Do any of the ODEs work with multi discs so I could play the patched English version of Policenauts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, merrychan said:

That sounds absolutely brilliant, I don't have a save cart so now and then I'm welcomed back to 1994 when the CR2032 dies in either my standard JP Saturn or my JP Saturn that plays the CDRs.

Do any of the ODEs work with multi discs so I could play the patched English version of Policenauts?

 

As far as I know Satiator hasn't yet implemented multi-disc support, but the majority of multi-disc games let you save at the disc swap screen, so you can just reset and choose the next disc, then reload your save and continue. Ditto for Fenrir. No idea how MODE works in that respect.

 

There are some games that don't let you save at disc swap time, which are apparently:

3x3 Eyes - Kyuusei Koushu S (JP)
DeathMask (JP)
Desire (JP)
Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers (JP)
Doukyuusei 2 (JP)
Eberouge (JP)
Gekka Mugentan Torico (1M) (JP)
Gekka Mugentan Torico (2M) (JP)
Haunted Casino (JP)
Lunacy (US)
Lunar 2 - Eternal Blue (JP)

 

Prof Abrasive has promised multi-disc support at some point, but given the lack of it stops you from playing 11 games properly I guess his attention is elsewhere for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ianinthefuture said:

 

There are some games that don't let you save at disc swap time, which are apparently:
 

Thanks for that, it's great to know...Satiator and the rings looks like a really good option for me so I can boot it all up on my saturn in the games room or front room :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How can I tell if my Saturn battery is dead?

I've lost all my saves, so either the battery has died or Rings has messed them up (I noticed it clears SRAM when saving games).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, strider said:

How can I tell if my Saturn battery is dead?

I've lost all my saves, so either the battery has died or Rings has messed them up (I noticed it clears SRAM when saving games).

Right it's not showing the start-up screen so it can't be the battery. Rings must be messing it up :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay I think I've solved it. It looks like the cartridge saving is hidden while the Rings function is up and running. Turning it off restored the saves, although I've not tested if the Rings save files have disappeared as a result.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/07/2021 at 09:57, Colonel Panic said:

If anyone is wondering what the box art feature is like in Fenrir’s menu…

 

81808F31-C14B-4FC4-A0B8-9AADCDCA906D.thumb.jpeg.73eac213274d306bb41d7e2b00c68dc6.jpeg

 

I just installed my fenrir - I had to bypass the phantom chip to get it working (cable issue I think) but all good now. It's a lovely thing.

 

I toggled on the cover art but I've no idea how to source cover art - is there a method to scrape a folder and auto download the artwork?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.