Jump to content

The Saturn Appreciation Thread


strider
 Share

Recommended Posts

My memories of the Saturn while it was current are very fleeting. Only one kid I knew had one, and he wasn't a close friend. The only time I remember really seeing Saturn games was in a concession in Debenhams around 1997 and when I used to buy Mega Drive games from Bowlers towards the end of the MD's life and a lot of the sellers had moved onto Saturn games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I swapped my PSX with about five games (only two good ones though, RRR and Tekken 2) for a Saturn with about 12 of the very best it had to offer. That was October 1996. It was only missing Virtua Cop, but my granddad kindly surprised me with that bundle a couple of weeks later.

 

I’d always wanted one over a PSX, but they were just far too expensive. Even the games rental place I worked at refused to host them. :( I spent the entirety of 1994-1996 absolutely desperately wanting Virtua Fighter and Daytona in my house, but then didn’t even get to play one until I’d made that trade. Literally nobody else had one, hence a brother of one of my best pals wanting to get rid of his. I'd never before (or since, come to think of it) binged on so much greatness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:


Lucky for me I don’t live anywhere nearby! I’d have loved to visit the shop in person back in the day. 
 
We just used to pore over the web store instead. Got a load of Super Famicom stuff from him in amazing condition too. 

 

Lee was a sound chap, always good with recommendations and even lent me some shooters he thought I’d like (knowing I’d probably buy them)

 

It wasn't really a shop, just an upstairs "office" space crammed with stuff – he was happy to let me pick things up in person but didn't really want to chat too much or for me to linger about poking through things. A shame because it was absolutely filled with treasures!

I bought a PCE Duo with Gunhed HuCard and, I think, Super Fami Jr. from him, along with probably a lot of the same stuff you did – Radiant Silvergun, Garegga, Souky, Silhouette Mirage. He was a massive shooter fan. I really shouldn't have spent so much but it was hard to resist!

Worse yet there was a small Gamestation (these were the glory years of Gamestation) downstairs to drain what little cash I had left on the kjnd of unloved Saturn PAL releases that today make my eyes water when seeing the prices.

And yet another Gamestation in town, where I got my 2nd hand copy of Panzer Saga for about 30 quid.

Still, the day I moved away from the 'boro I did not look back with much fondness!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
43 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Where's the best place to get replacement lasers for the Saturn? eBay?

 

I noticed the JVC type seem readily available but I also need one for a Sanyo drive. These seem impossible to find...


This happened to me and I found it easier to buy a whole new Saturn console off eBay then I decided to put a fenrir ODE in the broken Saturn and I’ve just used the fenrir one ever since with the other one away in the attic in an original box

 

So get a fenrir in it is my tip


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Where's the best place to get replacement lasers for the Saturn? eBay?

 

I noticed the JVC type seem readily available but I also need one for a Sanyo drive. These seem impossible to find...

I actually got a bunch of lenses off eBay the other year and they did work fine. I had to find the specific model as they weren't listed as Saturn lenses specifically. Can't remember what the model is though, sorry.

 

(Or a Satiator)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ianinthefuture said:

I actually got a bunch of lenses off eBay the other year and they did work fine. I had to find the specific model as they weren't listed as Saturn lenses specifically. Can't remember what the model is though, sorry.

 

(Or a Satiator)

 

I'm reading they need a little bit of soldering work to get going to remove some kind of anti static solder - is that right? Might be an issue as i haven't got one.

 

I looked into Fenrir but it's out of stock and Satiator is very expensive. I do have a couple of spare console so not desperate but I know how to change the laser over so if I can bring it back to life for the sake of a tenner it'd be well worth it :) 

 

I'll probably chuck the Sanyo drive one up on ebay for parts as it seems totally fine except the laser which I did manage to find, but costs about £45. Might be handy for someone who wants to keep one stock and ODE mod this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Down by Law said:

 

I'm reading they need a little bit of soldering work to get going to remove some kind of anti static solder - is that right? Might be an issue as i haven't got one.

 

I looked into Fenrir but it's out of stock and Satiator is very expensive. I do have a couple of spare console so not desperate but I know how to change the laser over so if I can bring it back to life for the sake of a tenner it'd be well worth it :) 

 

I'll probably chuck the Sanyo drive one up on ebay for parts as it seems totally fine except the laser which I did manage to find, but costs about £45. Might be handy for someone who wants to keep one stock and ODE mod this one.

Yeah you do need to unsolder one blob before you fit it - easy to do, but obviously a lot harder if you don't have an iron. Maybe not impossible, but also holding a lens over the hob might not be good for the laser. Or the hob. Or your hands. Or your gas bill.

 

ACTUALLY - have you tried tweaking the potentiometer? When I was fixing up Saturns the other year I had a bunch that went from broken to working with one or two twists of a screwdriver, no soldering required. This guy has a video that's pretty much exactly what I did, numerous times. Apologies if you already said you tried that, I have the memory of a forgetful idiot.

 

I've said before, likely in this thread: Satiator is expensive, definitely. As such it can never be for everyone. But it is hands down the best ODE I've ever used, it's infinitely elegant, and the creator is categorically Not A Knobhead. I'm actually happy to have given him the money for it. Literally plug-and-play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ianinthefuture said:

Yeah you do need to unsolder one blob before you fit it - easy to do, but obviously a lot harder if you don't have an iron. Maybe not impossible, but also holding a lens over the hob might not be good for the laser. Or the hob. Or your hands. Or your gas bill.

 

ACTUALLY - have you tried tweaking the potentiometer? When I was fixing up Saturns the other year I had a bunch that went from broken to working with one or two twists of a screwdriver, no soldering required. This guy has a video that's pretty much exactly what I did, numerous times. Apologies if you already said you tried that, I have the memory of a forgetful idiot.

 

I've said before, likely in this thread: Satiator is expensive, definitely. As such it can never be for everyone. But it is hands down the best ODE I've ever used, it's infinitely elegant, and the creator is categorically Not A Knobhead. I'm actually happy to have given him the money for it. Literally plug-and-play.

 

 

Yeah, first thing I did was tweak the pot, fixed a couple this way in the past but this one is 100% dead, doesn't even see the disc so doesn't attempt to spin up at all. Moving the pot on the actual board that controls the spin speeds just crashed it completely.

 

Could I use like a hot nail to desolder that blob? Or is that just plain stupid. I'm always willing to give stupid a go 😅

 

I honestly have pretty much all the Saturn games I want on disc, i also have a Pseudo cart so I can be a naughty boy and just CDR something if i feel like it, so I dont think I would get my monies worth out of an ODE, though the benefits are obvious.

 

Still waiting for someone to put a Mister in trading, that's what i'm keeping that money for :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

 

 

Yeah, first thing I did was tweak the pot, fixed a couple this way in the past but this one is 100% dead, doesn't even see the disc so doesn't attempt to spin up at all. Moving the pot on the actual board that controls the spin speeds just crashed it completely.

 

Could I use like a hot nail to desolder that blob? Or is that just plain stupid. I'm always willing to give stupid a go 😅

 

I honestly have pretty much all the Saturn games I want on disc, i also have a Pseudo cart so I can be a naughty boy and just CDR something if i feel like it, so I dont think I would get my monies worth out of an ODE, though the benefits are obvious.

 

Still waiting for someone to put a Mister in trading, that's what i'm keeping that money for :) 

You literally just need to break the connection the solder is making - turning one blob into two. But if it's £45 for the lens, I wouldn't go at it with a hot nail no.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ianinthefuture said:

You literally just need to break the connection the solder is making - turning one blob into two. But if it's £45 for the lens, I wouldn't go at it with a hot nail no.

 

Oh no that's for the tenner JVC jobby. It definetely isn't worth paying £45 for the Sanyo part. 

 

I think I should just invest in a soldering iron :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/11/2022 at 00:30, ianinthefuture said:

I've said before, likely in this thread: Satiator is expensive, definitely. As such it can never be for everyone. But it is hands down the best ODE I've ever used, it's infinitely elegant, and the creator is categorically Not A Knobhead. I'm actually happy to have given him the money for it. Literally plug-and-play.

Quick question on the Satiator as I was looking into it at the weekend - I have a (stock) PAL Saturn. If I run NTSC games via Satiator do they output at 50hz? i.e. do I need to get a 50/60hz switch mod (or buy a JPN model) as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, New York Mikey said:

Quick question on the Satiator as I was looking into it at the weekend - I have a (stock) PAL Saturn. If I run NTSC games via Satiator do they output at 50hz? i.e. do I need to get a 50/60hz switch mod (or buy a JPN model) as well.

 

If I run an import game with the Pseudo cart installed it will run at 50hz. I'd imagine it would be the same booting an image rather than a disc, so I would confidently say you would need a 60hz switch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, New York Mikey said:

Quick question on the Satiator as I was looking into it at the weekend - I have a (stock) PAL Saturn. If I run NTSC games via Satiator do they output at 50hz? i.e. do I need to get a 50/60hz switch mod (or buy a JPN model) as well.

As they all said, you would need a switch. They're very easy to install if you have a small amount of solderknoweldge, though. I used DA Retro's kit for a bunch I did, always worked perfectly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, New York Mikey said:

Thanks chaps - will look into the modding option as I expect an NTSC Saturn would require a step down transformer which would be altogether too much hassle. 

You can switch out the Saturn's PSU for one of these - makes it universal (and brings older components up to modern standards).

 

There are cheaper ones available on Aliexpress etc - about £12-20 or so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ianinthefuture said:

You can switch out the Saturn's PSU for one of these - makes it universal (and brings older components up to modern standards).

 

There are cheaper ones available on Aliexpress etc - about £12-20 or so.

That's what I did with my US Saturn, it's a doddle. The other benefit is that they create less heat than the stock PSU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

That's what I did with my US Saturn, it's a doddle. The other benefit is that they create less heat than the stock PSU.

Aye, I've done it with my Saturn, PS1, PS2 Dreamcast, and N64. More efficient, less heat, newer components, and I can use one PSU across all of them.

 

The PS2 replacement was a pisstake, original power board being about 15x20cm and weighing probably 400g. The new one's smaller than a credit card, and about as light.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, ianinthefuture said:

The PS2 replacement was a pisstake, original power board being about 15x20cm and weighing probably 400g. The new one's smaller than a credit card, and about as light.

 

Oh, nice. I have an NTSC-U PS2 which I was trying to track down a UK PSU for! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

 

NTSC TEST debug PS2s came with universal PSUs, and PS1 kits came with external ones ala PS One. Thankfully they included universal ones with retail PS3s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

 

Oh, nice. I have an NTSC-U PS2 which I was trying to track down a UK PSU for! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

 

NTSC TEST debug PS2s came with universal PSUs, and PS1 kits came with external ones ala PS One. Thankfully they included universal ones with retail PS3s.

Only issue is I don't know where to get the RePS2 board from in Europe/UK, even though the guy who makes it is (I think) in Europe. I got mine from the link above all fine, just a bit more expensive with US shipping etc.

 

Anyway, apologies for the derail. Everyone should replace their PSUs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Amazed to find the Anbernic RG353VS handles Saturn really well, so I put a few games on there. Don’t think I’ve ever played a Saturn game before.

 

Bug! was one of those games I remember seeing for sale when I was about 10. Being a Mega Drive owner, platformers were my life, and to see a cute character platformer for a new console in the new CD boxes was super exciting. Crazy I have so much nostalgia for something I’ve never played.

 

Anyway, I’ve had a go now and it’s utter shite :lol:

 

Started Panzer Dragoon Saga earlier and it’s obviously rough by today’s standards, but the opening section certainly intrigued me. Gets you right into some action without loads of dialogue. Does it still hold up, and is it worth sticking with?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Paulando said:

Started Panzer Dragoon Saga earlier and it’s obviously rough by today’s standards, but the opening section certainly intrigued me. Gets you right into some action without loads of dialogue. Does it still hold up, and is it worth sticking with?

I can't objectively answer about the quality, as it's been so long, but it is a ridiculously short game by JRPG standards, so I would say it's worth preserving with, as it's not exactly a big time sink.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Paulando said:

Started Panzer Dragoon Saga earlier and it’s obviously rough by today’s standards, but the opening section certainly intrigued me. Gets you right into some action without loads of dialogue. Does it still hold up, and is it worth sticking with?


I played it through again during lockdown and I think it still holds up really well in terms of gameplay. The battle system is still brilliant and it’s got a good story. As @Protocol Penguin says, it’s very short by JRPG standards, so very palatable in that sense. It should take absolutely no more than 15 hours to finish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's taken me nearly 2 years to find a copy of this in very good condition but I finally got one. For whatever reason all the 1996 releases don't seem to have the laminate on the cases that the earlier games did so they got battered quickly. See also Guardian Heroes, Nights, Sonic 3D etc. Luckily I found the plastic versions of the latter two but trying to find a very good/mint Guardian Heroes is a nightmare.

 

Screenshot_2022-11-21-12-15-02-559_com_miui.gallery.thumb.jpg.3f220d20ee3d6d750f5e1abed828ef06.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Popo said:

@Down by Law is that the original-style case that has the uncovered, paper-based outer layer with the softer clasp? 

 

Yep. I know there's a later clamshell style release of Zwei but I've only seen 1 on ebay in the last 3 years and it was part of a job lot that went for silly money 🙃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Having a big clear out and I found two Saturn switchless region select mods. I got them from this seller a few years ago.

 

Free to a good home. Do note I'm not actually sure if I have the install instructions available, but can have a look. I think it's a generic mod though so instructions should be somewhere.

 

They also work on Mega Drive 2s, apparently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.