rllmuk
meatbin

New Star Manager

Ah, if @sireadis on here, might I point out a minor bug/nuisance?

Very occasionally I get a social media update (bottom-right corner) during an interview, and it obscures any answer in the box on the right. Doesn't seem to be a way to get rid of the social media update, and it's against the clock, so it's a bit of a pain. This is when playing on my Android phone.

Great game by the way. Well done with it.

The in pitch touch controls don’t work for me. I’m only in the tutorial but when I tried to do what it asks nothing happens. Using the buttons is fine. 

All the tapping in menus works fine.  

5 hours ago, Chooch said:

The in pitch touch controls don’t work for me. I’m only in the tutorial but when I tried to do what it asks nothing happens. Using the buttons is fine. 

All the tapping in menus works fine.  

I use the controllers and buttons for everything apart from setting off-the-ball runs, where I use the touchscreen. As far as I can work out it's the only way you can play the game properly. Docked play is virtually impossible.

9 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

I use the controllers and buttons for everything apart from setting off-the-ball runs, where I use the touchscreen. As far as I can work out it's the only way you can play the game properly. Docked play is virtually impossible.

Shooting seems much harder using the controller though, the bouncing ball animation rather than on the pitch. 

10 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Docked play is virtually impossible.

I played a whole season docked on the pro controller and it was fine, especially the in game bits.

• Upvote 1

Yeah absolutely fine docked, just takes a few more clicks navigating menus. While in a game you can use the right stick to create runs for another player.

Is everyone playing this on the switch?

Ive downloaded this on my phone a few days ago and getting to a point where im out of energy every game which is annoying.

Getting injuries every game make it worse,the game it self tho is brilliant and if i win i feel likes its all down to me,same if i lose.

Shame they dont release a iap free game on andrioid as a one off payment as the game is brilliant.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I auto-neg any post that doesn't bother with punctuation/sentences.

EDIT: He's edited his post, if anyone was wondering, despite calling me a fucking idiot. It was borderline incomprehensible before.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7
  • Empathy 1

Here's a question... 

Does the running & dribbling on-pitch effect the player's energy levels? 

Of course if would on Fifa or PES, but this I'm not so sure... 

10 hours ago, MalevolentPanda said:

I auto-neg any post that doesn't bother with punctuation/sentences.

EDIT: He's edited his post, if anyone was wondering, despite calling me a fucking idiot. It was borderline incomprehensible before.

Yeah cos u made me feel real small man,you deserved it.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, meatbin said:

Here's a question... 

Does the running & dribbling on-pitch effect the player's energy levels? 

Of course if would on Fifa or PES, but this I'm not so sure... 

Doesn't appear that it does. I have a chap called Watchler up front who is a speed demon. I run defenders ragged with him, and his stamina doesn't seem to deplete any quicker than normal.

12 hours ago, unleashedmaniac said:

Doesn't appear that it does. I have a chap called Watchler up front who is a speed demon. I run defenders ragged with him, and his stamina doesn't seem to deplete any quicker than normal.

I suspected as much.   I suppose that seems fair considering you don't see the same on-pitch CPU attacking.

Right, will take a look at some speed demons in the next transfer window then! 

What are your favourite/most effective formations?

I was playing with a standard 4-4-2 for a while as it fitted the personnel I had. I then started using 4-2-2-2 as it allowed me to play a highly rated FRC in the attacking midfielder role.

It also meant that when I brought a low rated FL through the youth academy I could put him on the left to give my sole ML a rest in games we were winning comfortably.

I would usually use it with an Attacking approach, but it didn’t seem very good when Defending and seemed to get over run by teams with strong/packed midfields.

But a mid game injury crisis necessitated a quick re-jig and I opted for a 4-3-3 and Counter. Bloody hell, the difference is amazing.

Most of the time I get the ball just inside my own half with three forwards ahead of the ball ready to break against a defence with a high defensive line. I pass the ball forward as quickly as possible and run straight at the goalie before knocking it across to one of the other strikers for a tap in.

Even though the FL is crap with little potential he’s banging them in at an absurd rate.

8 game winning streak now.

I finally got around to buying this on PC today after putting it off due to it being £15. Turns out it's currently 50% off so just £7.74! Only a couple hours left on that discount though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, spork said:

I finally got around to buying this on PC today after putting it off due to it being £15. Turns out it's currently 50% off so just £7.74! Only a couple hours left on that discount though.

I didnt know this was on pc:lol:ive been playing this on my phone and really enjoying that so the pc version should be wayyyy better right??

Is there energy problems on the pc or switch versions cos that's whats really bugging me on the mobile version?

Got promoted in my first season, I'm getting absolutely fucking reamed near every match in the second. Won two in 16, one of which was the first game of the season. One match had an injury and a red card inside the first ten minutes. Lost one game 2-3 when the other team spent a good portion of the game with 10, then 9 men. Downward spiral as well, doing less well negatively impacts everything, meaning you need to expend more energy that you can't replace, can't train, can't re-sign players as a result of the malaise... not having much fun! Mobile version, this. 

1 minute ago, stefcha said:

Got promoted in my first season, I'm getting absolutely fucking reamed near every match in the second. Won two in 16, one of which was the first game of the season. One match had an injury and a red card inside the first ten minutes. Lost one game 2-3 when the other team spent a good portion of the game with 10, then 9 men. Downward spiral as well, doing less well negatively impacts everything, meaning you need to expend more energy that you can't replace, can't train, can't re-sign players as a result of the malaise... not having much fun! Mobile version, this. 

Would you say you're scoring most chances you get? 

Just now, meatbin said:

Would you say you're scoring most chances you get? 

No, it's a lot harder compared to the season prior. Saying that, I've still scored 21 goals (in 14 games, not 16 now I've checked) it's more the problem that I've let in 39 which is a bit disspiriting given there's not a whole lot I can do about that. 

4 hours ago, Theholyhogg said:

I didnt know this was on pc:lol:ive been playing this on my phone and really enjoying that so the pc version should be wayyyy better right??

Is there energy problems on the pc or switch versions cos that's whats really bugging me on the mobile version?

I wouldn't say NRG is a problem as such, but you definitely need to manage it well. Lots of rotation and NRG cards are getting me through the first season so far!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Theholyhogg said:

Playing on Switch, I think you get just enough NRG. Now I've upgraded my Fitness centre my team seem to recover much more quickly. I also make sure I've got two players for every position.

Using the "Assistant" to initially choose the team helps as well. As it's sometimes hard to remember everybody you have in the team. Like suddenly realising that 32 Star rated striker you have languishing in the reserves... Whoops!

I stormed the first season with stupid amount of wins (playing 4-4-2 almost completely) also won the FA Trophy. League 2 isn't much harder. At the end of the season i was pretty ruthless with the deadwood, got rid of ten players and brought in three much more highly rated ones. Including a 38 star, 33 year old central defender (he's a fucking boss). I'm lucky that I have two great and easy to manage goalies which I can switch between regularly and a mixture of old heads and young talent.

I'm six points clear at the top after about 18 games. And now talking about it makes me want to go and have a go.... curses of working from home... must... resist...

• Upvote 1

i do like supplementing the gaps in my squad with an ageing but decent star rating player - I know its not a long term fix but they are dirt cheap and just give you that spare option for when the teams energy is low and you need a stop gap.

The team talks are difficult! 

I've tried Gotters method of remembering the first word, but sometimes the first word is repeated in two phrases.    I've also tried remembering the keyword such as 'flanks', 'passion', 'width'  but that seems take too long to commit to memory.

I'm tempted to take a photo on my phone :hmm:

You don't need to remember them all, but the more you remember the more energy you get back. It's better to stop if you manage 3 or 4 rather than make a guess on the next and fail (no energy back at all then, and your card is gone).

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, stefcha said:

You don't need to remember them all, but the more you remember the more energy you get back. It's better to stop if you manage 3 or 4 rather than make a guess on the next and fail (no energy back at all then, and your card is gone).

Whaaa?!  This is a complete revelation, I've always been trying to get all 5.  And I didn't know you retain your card if you pass.

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, meatbin said:

Whaaa?!  This is a complete revelation, I've always been trying to get all 5.  And I didn't know you retain your card if you pass.

You don't retain the card, but at least you've made some use of it I meant. If you hit a red you get no energy and lose the card, which is harsh given how easy it is to choose a wrong option with it often using the same distinctive words across a couple of different phrases. 

I read the keywords out loud then repeat them back. I can usually get them all, although I don't risk it if getting a successful meeting is one of the chairmans bonus requirements.

After the high praise I have grabbed this on Switch, loved FM but full game takes to long to play these days and don't think it's well suited to touch so hoping this covers my football manager itch.