IGNORED

Pokemon Sword & Shield - Nintendo Switch

ThePixelbarks

Pick a team!  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

From Polygon:

The surprise in Sword and Shield is that I’m still finding things that surprise me, even after putting in so many hours. It’s in how Game Freak has made a linear game feel so much less linear. Make no mistake, Sword and Shield is not an open-world game. There are limitations. But the game’s designed for me not to notice them, and mostly, I don’t. 

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2019/11/13/20961309/pokemon-sword-and-pokemon-shield-review-nintendo-switch-nov-15-release-date

None of this conversation is new. Anyone who's familiar with Game Freak know they've kept Pokemon very conservative to the chagrin of many, mostly those who casually observe the series from afar. The GBA games were considered unambitious in their look but it was when the DS had 3D capabilities that their limitations first became really obvious and a source of 'debate'. Pokemon stuck to its presentational roots and Game Freak basically completely ignored the platform's new strengths. Since the mid 2000's almost every review has noted the series' safe, stale looks as a caveat and imagined what could be. 

I imagine this was rushed and is a bit technically inept and anyone surprised by this is a surprise in itself. Added scrutiny has probably come from the universal attention for the Switch, the first proper move into a big screen 3D world and the fact Pokemon Yellow, a tiny game, was both already half made and slight enough to have detail lavished upon it in its remake. Evoking BotW was a bad move too, from such a firmly un-modern company.

TLDR; every generation Game Freak attract astonished commentary for their simple, unambitious, charming and janky series that ignores most of gaming's progress and wins hearts regardless. The background cuts/rush are a step further and a bit of a gift for the guaranteed critics of this generation.

7 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

To offset the end of this EG piece, I counter with this.  En Garde!

I’ve been training pokémon all my life, but I never felt like a true trainer until I walked through a tunnel into a stadium full of screaming fans. - The Verge

5 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Obviously, but the complaints made by those bad reviews echo the early impressions of those some were accusing of orchestrating a hate campaign. As opposed to just expressing their genuine opinion based on evidence.

I think the difference is those reviews all basically say the same things, that technically and performance wise it can feel a little worse than you'd like or maybe expect, but ultimately the core game itself is perfectly fine. Whereas the leaks were just posting very specific, out of context screenshots/gifs and screaming "LOOK AT THIS FUCKING TRASH HOW DARE GAME FREAK DO THIS TO THE GAMERS".

4 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Obviously, but the complaints made by those bad reviews echo the early impressions of those some were accusing of orchestrating a hate campaign. As opposed to just expressing their genuine opinion based on evidence.

But there has been a hate campaign, one predicated on people being unhappy about the National Dex decision and thus deciding to pick out and amplify every single negative about the game while hand-waving away any of its good points. Constructive criticism and expressing disappointment is entirely fair; actively accusing the devs of laziness and lying, and sending abusive tweets and emails not only to the studio but to Pokémon-centric websites like Serebii.net is quite another thing. 

Just now, Bojangle said:

I think the difference is those reviews all basically say the same things, that technically and performance wise it can feel a little worse than you'd like or maybe expect, but ultimately the core game itself is perfectly fine. Whereas the leaks were just posting very specific, out of context screenshots/gifs and screaming "LOOK AT THIS FUCKING TRASH HOW DARE GAME FREAK DO THIS TO THE GAMERS".

GamERs DeSerVE BeTTeR

35 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I think it can be both a game which pleases it’s core audience with a very conservative approach and simultaneously technically disappointing, with cuts corners in areas there is little justification for.

Pretty sure I've heard almost those exact words about every previous handheld pokemon title.