rllmuk
Pixelbark

Pokemon Sword & Shield - Nintendo Switch

Pick a team!  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

?? As far as I know A Link Between Worlds isn’t 20 years old

You seem to think that the definite way forward for Zelda  is to turn it in to "Mario 64". But thats never been Zelda.  WHat you are asking for isn't what people would consider as a mainline Zelda game. What you are after appears to be something completely new.

You have to remember this game is still an entry into the main Zelda series. Its not a new branch of the franchise.

dys?

38 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Pokemon can only ever be this one thing it was on handheld consoles 20+ years ago. Ok.

I have never seen such a frothing for a game to be a shiter in my life. Is everything alright?

Reviews are out later today, if it's a stinker that's a shame but all of this sub JimQuisition "GAMERS DESERVE BETTER" madness because some Redditers posted out of context backgrounds is way over the top. Yeah, the animations on the previous page don't bode brilliantly but the hate for the game before we've even heard a sniff about how it plays seems way over the top. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

So all games journalists can pack up and go home.

No incentive needed for game devs to try and push the medium forward. If a 7 year old would buy it, the industry is golden.

Mate.

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

So all games journalists can pack up and go home.

No incentive needed for game devs to try and push the medium forward. If a 7 year old would buy it, the industry is golden.

No one is saying you cannot critique a game or anything like that. But not every single game has to be super forward thinking. Especially a game that is designed to push as many toys and plushes as possible. 

The vitriol around it at the moment is pathetic though. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

dys?

The transtion for Zelda from a 2d top down view to what we have today is a graphical progression, but the core elements are still there.

WHat are the core elements of Pokemon?

-Strategic Turn Based battles

-Elemental weaknesses and strengths.

-Taking on X  (8) amount of  trainers

-Exploration of a world map that unlock as you go

-Catching Pokemon

-Evolving Pokemon

And graphcially things have moved from here:

11308-bluescreen.gif

To  here

pokemon-sword-shield-screenshot-7.jpg

That looks like exactly the sort of progression we have seen with Zelda et all to me.

• Upvote 2

I guess we'll find out how the games actually are in a couple of hours. 

My sneaking suspicion is that because of Dexit the hardcore internet following are already predisposed to hating it, and are going through the fine with a fine tooth comb to find stuff to fuel the echoing cycle of OUTRAGE on the internet. The other day Reddit seemed desperate to find Japanese fans that were also angry, as it the fact that *even* some Japanese people were miffed meant *something*. 

I'm not expecting that corner of the internet to be unbiased in their judgements. There's a helluva lot of toxic stuff there, and the reviews will offer a better perspective as, let's face it, anything that goes on Reddit that might be in any way positive is just going to get shot down. 

The other thing is, the fanbase was extremely toxic over Let's Go, which I thought were pretty good, solid remakes with some of PoGo's accessibility brought over. But they got unabashed bile on Reddit and the like. 

Likewise, bar the slightly tedious handholding, I quite liked Sun and Moon. They had technical issues too, but I thought they were an improvement over X/Y.  I didn't actually mind X/Y either, and the OUTRAGED fans by and largely hate Gen 5 (which also had the lowest sales), yet that was probably my favourite one since the golden age of Gold and Silver. 

Let's face it, parts of Pokémon games have always been flawed, and Gamefreak have never been the best developers. That's not passing things off as completely fine, more that a lot of the OUTRAGE suddenly springing up seems a bit late. Or fuelled by the Dexit stuff. 

Let's face it, the games always look a notch worse than a lot of stuff on the system. They have had performance issues in the past (Sun and Moon stuttered like hell) and they have had bugs and glitches since day one (go and see what slipped through Gen 1). 

They've always chopped and changed stuff between games and removed and added stuff. The day/night cycle went from Ruby/Sapphire (which were visually underwhelming AND all the old monsters weren't available). Seasons appeared in Black and White and then disappeared again. X and Y had no real endgame. The past few games, since Black and White 2, have been pretty easy. The story has barely bloody evolved since the first games. The battle animations have always been a bit like animals waving a stick at each other (I half-suspect that it's to keep the battles as kid-friendly and as non-violent/non-contact as possible, so we are never going to get Houndoom picking up Togepi, breaking his non-existant neck with his vice-like jaws and then smashing his stupid egg shell body over a rock to get at the sweet gooey juices inside*). People have always complained about the new designs, ever since Gen 3 really. I saw the same "they look like Digimon" stuff or "too many are bipedal" complaint that gets trotted out each new generation now. There are duff designs and great designs littered through every game. Yes, even your beloved Red and Blue. 

And I'm not going in to the Dexit stuff in-depth as most people fall one way or another, but they have always fiddled and messed about with the roster, making monsters unavailable, hard to get or require extra purchases or events. It's always been compromised. 

And that sums up the games themselves. They have always had little niggly flaws. I'm waiting to see if the niggly flaws in Sword and Shield are really as abject as the OUTRAGED fans say, or whether than maybe, just maybe, these aren't going to be the most objective voices. If the reviews are mediocre, then I'll sit up and listen. But I still suspect that I'll get enjoyment out of it, as all the Pokémon games tick a lot of basic boxes for me and I find them compelling, despite their flaws. It's annoying that these still don't get fixed, but this is hardly something unique to Sword and Shield. 

The first games on a console tend to be weaker than their successors anyway, so I'm hoping that some of the more basic niggles will get ironed out. Not sure they'll go back on a lot of what the outraged fans want though. These seem to have an intimate knowledge of Gamefreak's structure and hierarchy and what Masuda has said, done and eaten for breakfast. Again, I'm going to wait and see what some other voices say later this afternoon. 

*Shit I've got an erection now 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

The transtion for Zelda from a 2d top down view to what we have today...

That looks like exactly the sort of progression we have seen with Zelda et all to me.

Just on this point (can’t respond to everything, we’d be here all day) - Zelda’s transition to 3D is more complete than Pokemon. Zelda actually expanded Link’s movement options for verticality, and crafted a 3D environments with those in mind. Pokemon retained the same restricted 2D movement and largely flat environments, swapping out 3D assets / buildings and changing the viewpoint. The transition is mostly aesthetic.

12 minutes ago, Parksey said:

Let's face it, the games always look a notch worse than a lot of stuff on the system. They have had performance issues in the past (Sun and Moon stuttered like hell) and they have had bugs and glitches since day one (go and see what slipped through Gen 1). 

There is certainly an argument to say that the games are so bloody successful that they could easily have a AAA budget thrown at them to make them legitimately amazing. We have been hankering for a proper home console release of a new Pokemon game since the Gamecube days. That it's taken this long is borderline criminal. However, I missed the Pokemon boat way back when, so my interest in the franchise is confined to what makes my little boy happy. And he is much less of a hard taskmaster than Reddit! But if that proper home console RPG had been developed back in 2003-2004, it's more than possible that I would be a big Pokemon fan now.... so Game Freak have probably missed out on many hundreds of pounds from yours truly over the past 15 years. I never understood why they didn't want to print money.

• Upvote 1

Is an AAA budget going to make them legitimately amazing? I am not sure if any of the series' issues, past and present, have been down to monetary constraints. 

And what would make them legitimately amazing? Doing what the fans want? I'm always wary of "fan projects" and stuff that caters to a very vocal quarter of the fan base. I think that's no guarantee of quality either. 

I would argue that the series has already been legitimately amazing, and that that was on a console that had about as much power as a Duracell shoved inside a potato. 

As a complete aside, when you mentioned home console Pokémon, I remembered a Reddit thread where people were fawning over their memories of Pokémon Colosseum's and XD on the GameCube. I'm not sure how they've gotten so angry they've warped human history, but those games were hugely lazy. They got criticised for cutting a lot of content from the N64 Stadium games, for not featuring all the monsters (in fact you needed to own both to get the entire Pokedex on the GBA Ruby and Sapphire games) and XD was basically just one big asset reuse of its predecessor. I think that's when I ultimately realised some of the frothing fanbase on that site had gotten so biased they had lost grip on reality. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

There is certainly an argument to say that the games are so bloody successful that they could easily have a AAA budget thrown at them to make them legitimately amazing. We have been hankering for a proper home console release of a new Pokemon game since the Gamecube days. That it's taken this long is borderline criminal. However, I missed the Pokemon boat way back when, so my interest in the franchise is confined to what makes my little boy happy. And he is much less of a hard taskmaster than Reddit! But if that proper home console RPG had been developed back in 2003-2004, it's more than possible that I would be a big Pokemon fan now.... so Game Freak have probably missed out on many hundreds of pounds from yours truly over the past 15 years. I never understood why they didn't want to print money.

Probably because for every person like you, who wants a massive, AAA big budget, sprawling open world, complex Pokemon RPG, they'd lose 10 sales from seven year old kids wanting the next Pokemon game. I don't think a mainline Pokemon game will ever be what the older audience wants/expects it to be, and that's kinda okay? Just move on and find something else to enjoy. 

I'd love that game too, but Sword Shield isn't it. It was never marketed as being that, it was never promised to be that. People are literally mad that the game isn't the one they imagined. No amount of shouting into the void is going to change what Sword Shield is.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, The Mighty Ash said:

pop3akns.gif

What time are the reviews so I know if this is acceptable or not?

It's interesting that people are picking on this specifically when Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had similarly noticeable pop-in and reduced the resolution in handheld mode to such a degree that I began to wonder if I'd developed glaucoma. It's a combination of things. Technically speaking, Pokémon has never been one of Nintendo's strongest series, because the focus has always been elsewhere - introducing new monsters/features/balancing etc. So it's in keeping with series tradition that it's a little rough around the edges (which isn't to say that there isn't room for improvement, of course). And, y'know, Switch isn't all that powerful. If this were internally developed, would it look slightly better? Almost certainly. But not to a degree where people wouldn't still find things to pick fault with. 

• Upvote 4

Why does it matter about Xenoblade? This is a flagship franchise for Nintendo. It deserves better.

I appreciate historically there has been a focus on new monsters/features/balancing etc. Is that still the case for this game?

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Why does it matter about Xenoblade? This is a flagship franchise for Nintendo. It deserves better.

I appreciate historically there has been a focus on new monsters/features/balancing etc. Is that still the case for this game?

Xenoblade is another Nintendo-published RPG series that is developed externally, which is why the comparison is relevant. 

As others have mentioned, this is the first mainline entry on new hardware. As with X/Y on 3DS, it has its technical kinks, which are likely to be ironed out in subsequent instalments. It's perfectly fine to be disappointed, but the reaction to this stuff has been wholly disproportionate, and in places needlessly vitriolic. 

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 1

You only have to look at the leap in quality between X/Y and Sun/Moon to see how much better the games will get. I personally don’t think Pokemon translates as well to 3D as Zelda did because the world always felt better to me when your imagination filled in the gaps and they could scale the game more easily like the Black and White games which are the peak of the series to me.

Some of the complaints are justified but the amount of hatred they are getting is ridiculous.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

So is Xenoblade now. It's become THE nintendo traditional JRPG. They are both flagship series.

I dumped my preorder for the double pack and just went for Sword. Sanity prevailed over buying two versions of what is essentially the same game that I have no real interest in in the first place for purely collectors value.

• Upvote 1

Anyone had a dispatch message from Simplygames yet?

I've ordered this for my daughter and also ordered the new Star Wars game for myself. I received the dispatch notification about the SW game but nothing for Pokemon. They haven't even taken the money yet.

It may be because I ordered the one with Steelbook and they ran out of stock. If so I'll cancel the order and order the standard (same price).

I've already emailed SG but would be interested to know if anyone had received dispatch mail so know what to expect.

2 minutes ago, Pug said:

Anyone had a dispatch message from Simplygames yet?

They claim they’re not receiving their copies until tomorrow. It’s in stock at Shopto.

• Upvote 1

From Polygon:

The surprise in Sword and Shield is that I’m still finding things that surprise me, even after putting in so many hours. It’s in how Game Freak has made a linear game feel so much less linear. Make no mistake, Sword and Shield is not an open-world game. There are limitations. But the game’s designed for me not to notice them, and mostly, I don’t. 

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2019/11/13/20961309/pokemon-sword-and-pokemon-shield-review-nintendo-switch-nov-15-release-date

• Upvote 1