IGNORED

Pokemon Sword & Shield - Nintendo Switch

ThePixelbarks

Pick a team!  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am disappointed about the National Dex (Honchkrow is my favourite Pokémon ever :( )  and move removal, though I suspect that most if not all of that content will be back later. Other than that, it's a new Pokémon game and I am positively frothing with excitement. Disappointed that SimplyGames seemingly won't be getting it to me early this time, cannot wait for Friday. So happy that I've avoided the vast majority of leaks and spoilers too, so there will be new Pokémon that are a total surprise to me. Haven't had much of that since Black and White as I went Spoiler-crazy with the last couple of games.

How is it "a shadow of a former great" when the review basically says it's more of the same? More of the same is what I crave. That and the new monsters and abilities and balance changes and other little quality of life improvements (removing the need for HM slaves being one of my favourite recent ones). I'm slightly disappointed that it's actually slightly-less-of-the-same, but other than that I am at maximum hype. 

It's not Breath of the Wild. Breath of the Wild is Breath of the Wild though, so that's good.

Personally speaking, that EG review has me highly excited. I don't play Pokemon for story, the single-player is literally just a training area for the actual game, which is battles with friends, family members, and assorted random online freaks. I generally dislike the dungeons, and am glad they're gone. Sure, I can see why others want more story and lore, but there's a huge number of players out there who literally just want to tear through to endgame as quickly as possible, and my guess is this game is targeted primarily at this group far more than previous versions have been. 

And it's these players that will buy whatever the 3rd title is, by the way, or get the Battle Tower DLC (or whatever they decide on this time) that follows on in a few months.

Yeah definitely. I try to plough through the story at speed to get the game unlocked and start breeding and crafting teams. If they do release super double battle later it’ll be hard to turn down. I have spent hundreds of hours on double battles creating ridiculous teams with my friend to try and go on streaks or see how far we get with teams riddled  with 4x weaknesses etc. 

Also is that photo above evidence that if you have a download code you can get it now??? What is going on? 

6 hours ago, The Mighty Ash said:

pop3akns.gif

What time are the reviews so I know if this is acceptable or not?

V poor popup on the temp assets like berry trees, but the Pokemon burrowing up shouldn't be included in that: Dragon Quest XI has a very similar enemy proximity spawn and it's one that gameplay-wise seems to work well across the board, from ToSymphonia to Xenoblade (in the latter giant, unique enemies spawn in further away which is a good balance). I guess you know this game has a dynamic weather system too, I'll be disappointed if the fog isn't from that (this area is shown with normal draw distance in other screens). Time will tell, but this gif could easily boil down from 3 bad things to 1. Is the fog always there and the game has an N64 draw distance level in general, do you know? 

4 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I’m not belabouring the point.

I've only just come into the thread as my kids want this and I thought I should see what the deal is and the guy you're quoting is right, the last 5 pages have had you repeatedly saying the same stuff over and over. Maybe I noticed it more as I've just read them all in one go but your posts come across needlessly negative. I initially thought I would be making a terrible mistake picking this up and clicked through on the review you posted a snippet of but thankfully saw that what you had selected and posted was a pretty negative paragraph of a review with lots of positives in it too.

1 hour ago, CheekyLee said:

there's a huge number of players out there who literally just want to tear through to endgame as quickly as possible, and my guess is this game is targeted primarily at this group far more than previous versions have been. 

Yeah, I'm surprised more reviews haven't commented on this (or not the ones I've read, at any rate). A lot of the QOL improvements make it friendlier to newcomers, while experienced players won't face many hurdles if they want to hurry to the post-game. 

3 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I just want a Pokémon game that my 7 year old son can open on Christmas day and have a great big smile on his face while we play it together. This looks like that game. 

In which case, I think it will fulfil your wishes. I did a little tweet thread earlier about playing it with my 13-year-old. 

3 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Obviously, but the complaints made by those bad reviews echo the early impressions of those some were accusing of orchestrating a hate campaign. As opposed to just expressing their genuine opinion based on evidence.fit the narrative that I wish to be true despite me not having played the game myself and therefore unable to state with any real certainty whether I agree. 

Every Pokemon game is designed to be enjoyed by newcomers so I'm sure he'll love it. I hadn't realised the fandom was such a bunch of assholes until now, it must be because this is the first mainline game released on the major console that they are all losing their minds. 

I've been playing the games since Red/Blue and don't have any favourite Pokemon, the games are low stress experience where I have a target number to catch to complete the Pokedex with occasional trips to Game/Smyths for any Legendaries that are distributed through them and then I put it down and wait for the next release. 

grindmouse - "I'm not getting the game."

Us - "Okay cool?"

grindmouse - "guys I'm back to tell you why this game is rubbish and you should not under any circumstances give Game Freak money for this title."

Us - "Oh, great? You realise these sources might be sketchy at best and not from people with the best intentions right, maybe wait for the reviews for more balanced opinions?"

grindmouse - "LOOK GUYS MORE PROOF THEY FUCKEN' LIED TO US"

Us - "Oh look the reviews are out, seems to be a solid 80, as expected. Oh look the reviews also mention some technical issues but the game itself is praised quite highly, I'm sure my kid will love it!"

grindmouse - "Actually guys I'm going to specifically quote the most negative parts of reviews I can find because I quite simply have to drive home that I won't be getting the game, and also fuck those seven year olds who claim to be enjoying it. What a load of bullshit, just corporate apologists!"

24 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

But my 7 year old says it looks great, and why does it need a bigger budget anyway, and this is exactly what I want, 9/10.

See, now you're just being a dick.

No one's saying it's beyond criticism, but you're using selective evidence from people with a vested interest in bashing the game as conclusive proof that you're right and everyone else is wrong. You might be unhappy at what's missing, and that's absolutely fine. Others might feel the QOL improvements, the excellent new monsters, the big-event feel of the gym battles and so on compensate for its shortcomings. I'm personally a little surprised at a couple of the higher scores, but I'm not about to spit the dummy because some disagree with me. People are allowed to look forward to it, flaws and all. 

12 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Gamefreak blamed this on creating HD assets - but then were proven to have reused assets.

Okay. How much work were the newly made HD assets for the studio?

Yeah, Pokemon games always have lots of reused assets.

I don't care that people criticise Pokemon releases; loads of people always do on a new release. Obviously when there's untrue criticism amongst it I'll find that specific stuff less justified.

Like 'fogging' when it's in game fog. 

7 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I've used footage from the game itself. ???

Of course they are. I'm not the one who spat my dummy out at people liking it. The people liking it spat their dummy out at those criticising it.

I think we're done here anyway. Enjoy the game!

You've posted 25 times in here since page 10 alone, all but one of your posts either shitting on the game or those daring to look forward to it. If people got a bit annoyed it's because, despite your protestations, you have quite clearly been labouring the point. 

Some of the footage doing the rounds has been taken from an emulated version of the game, I believe, which may explain some inconsistencies with what I've seen while playing. Yes, there are some visual issues, as most people have acknowledged, but for the vast majority of players they won't be ruinous by any means. 

3 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

I think the most important thing here is can someone please tell me what QOL means? I’m hoping my stupidity will get lost amongst the arguing 

Quality of Life. Things like not having to waste time switching into a menu to get on your bike or have a separate pokemon in your party just for Cut/Surf etc would probably fall under that. Things that make the experience less tedious to play.

Theres probably a neater definition. 

1 minute ago, joffocakes said:

Quality of Life. Things like not having to waste time switching into a menu to get on your bike or have a separate pokemon in your party just for Cut/Surf etc would probably fall under that. Things that make the experience less tedious to play.

Theres probably a neater definition. 

Many thanks :)

Just ordered Shield.

Never played a Pokemon game before. I don’t really know what they’re about other than the very basics but I’ve just watched a couple of reviews on YouTube and I think it looks great. 

You’ll have to forgive me if I come asking silly questions over the next few weeks but I’m really looking forward to getting engrossed in nerdy stats and dragging my 46 year old arse to Game now and again to get Legendaries. 

23 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

The fogging is a weather effect but taken in combination with the other draw-in / clipping issues doesn't look great does it? And as you pointed out - the simplicity of the 3D geometry is not the standard you'd maybe expect or hope for. I think that's fair to say. And on top of that the frame rate struggles occasionally. None are game-breaking issues, but there are clearly moments where it looks flat out bad. Posters should be able to comment on that, and express their disappointment with the dev team without being told they have an agenda. But hey, it's the internet!

It is fair to say. It doesn't look fantastic in isolation, but in addition it feels like a rather specific and selected gif, with the fog and some goddamn rectangular bridge pillars - oh no. NPCs and berry trees having too close pop-in isn't great and is a real problem (again, I don't count the Pokemon emerging) - but also isn't a huge crime imo and certainly not a gamebreaker. Just disappointing. It was in Ultra Sun too. Why do people expect Gamefreak to be a studio of different capabilities once again, I wonder? In this enlightened time of AAA to indies being equals we have room for all scales and competencies of games out there - games that wouldn't get made otherwise. If you hold that gif against other gifs it seems by some margin the most barren example of the sparse 'Wild Area' out there and it smacks of willful misrepresentation. And why wouldn't you choose the most egregious example if you were already disappointed? Possibly because the rest of the game doesn't look like that, or that area doesn't even look like that without the drab weather. Some people are genuinely disappointed, some are judging too soon and some are arguing in bad faith for some mad reason. I'm sure you're on the side of internet pile-ons being distasteful and this whole internet-wide fight is absolutely stupid with people far too defensive or offensive either side. People demanding arbitrary standards and braying 'liar' and pretending the game has zero technical problems and all sorts of embarrassing stuff. If you go too extreme either way people will generally bite back. 

There's high standards, then there's nitpicking, then there's just plain misrepresentation of peoples' work. It's the last one that bugs me a bit but fails to illicit any real annoyance because we've all seen this disproportionate immediate hate response complete with its many e-petition offspring before, haven't we? 

1 minute ago, grindmouse said:

Oh so now it looks shit because it's emulated? The excuses are endless.

Did it occur to you that if you stopped accusing, attacking and hand-waving proof the game looks a bit rubs in places, that I would just leave you all to it?

I'm merely speaking to my first-hand experience with the game and how it doesn't entirely tally with what I've seen elsewhere. It's not an 'excuse'. 

As for hand-waving proof it 'looks a bit rubs'...

"rough around the edges"

"As with X/Y on 3DS, it has its technical kinks"

"It's perfectly fine to be disappointed"

"there are some visual issues"

"It's also clear that Game Freak had to cut a few corners to get the game done on time - Pokémon's never been a technical powerhouse, but there are a few issues. Rather than blaming the dev, you might ask if it should have been given more time/resources."

And that's just quoting myself over the past few pages. Your suggestion I've ignored its technical problems is patently absurd.