Pokemon Sword & Shield - Nintendo Switch

Pick a team!  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So does anyone know how you’re supposed to respond to any of the requests in the chat feed? Constantly people asking for trading partners or teams for wild area den raids, but there’s no way to actually respond.

Found a great way before the big industrial town at the start to get a Magicarp (or any Pokémon really) up to a decent level early on using the free Meowth, a TM I found and those high level Ghastlys.

Anyone interested?

Getting 400+ exp each go

7 hours ago, tnman said:

Despite there still being hundreds I can’t help but feel that Dexit would annihilate any such opinions were it not a thing.

Would it? There'd still be the regional Galar Dex of 400 or so, similar to the Sinnoh Dex, Kalos Dex, Unova Dex etc. 

I feel like Dexit would only have affected the post game, when suddenly you could transfer your piles of monsters from older games. 

I don't think it would make any difference to new players or ones who didn't have that backlog of monsters going back years. 

Even with Sun/Moon, X/Y etc where you could transfer any monster you wished forward, they still weren't catchable in-game and the amount of monsters you could catch always seemed to hoover around the 400-500 mark. 

Getting all 400 is still going to take a while, and apparently some of the new evolution methods are particularly thorny. 

If you wanted to actually catch all 900+ with Dexit and those that don't appear in-game, you'd likely just be relying on going and picking up one of the older games. 

From a gameplay standpoint, I don't see how Dexit would have "annihilated" any core problems or awkward mechanics. It would have been an end-game thing largely about porting over stacks of old monsters and been a thing purely for those who've played almost every game in the series to date. 

On 15/11/2019 at 08:12, bum said:

My expected delivery date for Shield, preordered on November 1st, is:

December 1st - January 11th.

:lol:

Sod off, Amazon Japan.  Bet this would never happen in Canada.

After all that, it arrived yesterday.  It looks fine so far, although there are better looking Switch games.  I went for the water-based Pokemon

9 hours ago, deKay said:

So does anyone know how you’re supposed to respond to any of the requests in the chat feed? Constantly people asking for trading partners or teams for wild area den raids, but there’s no way to actually respond.

Having not successfully done any of those things with others yet I can’t be sure but I think the ’requests’ serve as notifications, to make one aware that someone out there is waiting for someone else to join them. You’d then go into the Y-menu, choose the relevant activity and presumably it then matchmakes you up. 

It looks similar to the feed in X/Y which would have a list of players scrolling along the bottom screen if you were online. It is annoying that there is no way to disable the feed on the left of the screen with your activity or what other people are doing if you're online. As someone who always disables chat it's an annoying waste of screen space. 

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Having not successfully done any of those things with others yet I can’t be sure but I think the ’requests’ serve as notifications, to make one aware that someone out there is waiting for someone else to join them. You’d then go into the Y-menu, choose the relevant activity and presumably it then matchmakes you up. 

It doesn't though. None of the people I match up with are people on the "feed", unless I choose to play local and then the only person is my daughter.

The Britishness of the Galar region is what’s carrying this, along with some catchy tunes. For the most part I’m spamming the same move with the same Pokemon. There’s so much I don’t understand about the finer points of the franchise and none of it feel I need to here.

Daughter and I are each over ten hours in and so far all the comments about the shit bits of the game have been completely unfounded.

And for the guy who completed it in 8 hours? I’ve done ONE gym.

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, deKay said:

Daughter and I are each over ten hours in and so far all the comments about the shit bits of the game have been completely unfounded.

And for the guy who completed it in 8 hours? I’ve done ONE gym.

Yeah, it’s all rubbish (apart from the little amount of effort they’ve put into the animations* and the horrendous stuttering in the Wild area). Took me around five or six hours to do the first gym.

I think this is a nice step back from the bloated, but brilliant, Ultra Sun/Moon. I even enjoy cooking and playing with the Pokémon in the camp. 

Edit: *having said that, the Dynamax and VFX animations are very fun and brilliant, in that order 

7 hours ago, shirubagan said:

243 chain, no shiny. I give up. 

On lets Go, took me about 350 chain to get a shiny Nidoran. Must have taken like 5 hours or so. I was literally falling asleep when I saw a little sparkle in the grass haha. 

• Empathy 1
17 hours ago, Parksey said:

From a gameplay standpoint, I don't see how Dexit would have "annihilated" any core problems or awkward mechanics. It would have been an end-game thing largely about porting over stacks of old monsters and been a thing purely for those who've played almost every game in the series to date. 

Your post makes great points but loses it here. I was only referring to the idea that the Galar Dex could be seen off with little investment, and that including the National would get rid of that.

Was it Black and White that unlocked National ‘mon after becoming Champion? From my time with the Wild Area I wonder if that would have been the best approach here (along with more dev time, obviously, as this story goes on and on).

9 hours ago, Elseb said:

On lets Go, took me about 350 chain to get a shiny Nidoran. Must have taken like 5 hours or so. I was literally falling asleep when I saw a little sparkle in the grass haha. 

351 now and nothing. Pause/Sleep mode must reset the chain and/or this game hates me as much as Pokémon Go. 

So I was able trade ‘mons online with a friend today by using the ‘link code’ - you both enter the same code and it’ll match you up after a short bit of dithering. 

I don’t recommend using 1234 as your code, you’ll match with everyone!

1 hour ago, tnman said:

Was it Black and White that unlocked National ‘mon after becoming Champion? From my time with the Wild Area I wonder if that would have been the best approach here (along with more dev time, obviously, as this story goes on and on).

It was which is why it was one of the best games in the series. I'm really missing the GTS which I assume has been rolled into the paid service that's replicating Bank for the Switch games. 

I've done the first two gym badges now and another QoL improvement is that there is no unique tune attached to riding the bike which is great because that is usually the tune you hear the most if you are breeding Pokemon and is always the worst tune in the game.

How do I change my pokermun's names? Got one called クンテ and it made me realise there's nothing to stop me getting filthy names via trade (spelt slightly differently, of course). Also, not being able to sort them means naming them is a must. Or I could use symbols but it's just easier.

• Empathy 1

The name changer is on the left in every pokemon centre nowadays. However, you've never been able to change he names of traded pokemon. Sword and Shield are a little different in that they will let you give a nickname to a traded pokemon (once), but only if it has not already been given a nickname.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, deKay said:

How do I change my pokermun's names? Got one called クンテ and it made me realise there's nothing to stop me getting filthy names via trade (spelt slightly differently, of course). Also, not being able to sort them means naming them is a must. Or I could use symbols but it's just easier.

Just surprise trade em straight on ^_^ Not worth dealing with that nonsense

Does anyone happen to know of a newbie friendly guide to breeding? At the moment I'm just cranking out Sobbles and Ponytas (if anyone wants one i'm more than happy to send on) but i'd kinda like to get my feet wet with regard to breeding a solid Sobble (or any pokemon really).

In more general terms, absolutely love the game! Haven't played one since Gold so this has been an interesting experience to say the least. The performance/connectivity issues in the wild area are frustrating, but that's only because I want to do the raids! :D