rllmuk
Pixelbark

Pokemon Sword & Shield - Nintendo Switch

Pick a team!  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Would you rate it over Sun and Moon?

I certainly would. The story is more or less the same in every generation, so there's not much to say there. But the QoL improvements seal the deal.

And the Wild Area is so good! It's almost an MMO-lite, and it's always fun when you see an unexpected old favourite, or new "What?" Pokémon out there. The fact that all I want them to add is a button to join the random players who are literally at the same den looking for Max-raid players says it all, really.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

Being able to turn off the message about giving your Pokemon nicknames when you catch them.

I didn't know you could do this! :omg:

Yup, it's great! Just go into Options and scroll down a bit and there's a toggle for it being on or off :)

One thing I think they are doing with this game is trying to encourage more people to try the competitive/online battling side of things. It's been made notably easier/more relaxed to get good moves or remember old ones you might have overwritten now, and ditto for good items for Pokemon to hold. The Battle Tower is pretty much an ideal training ground for competitive stuff too. It's also much easier to get 'competitive spec' Pokemon too what with the max raids and the aura Pokemon spawning in the wild.

What with online being pushed so it's a matter of seconds and a couple of button presses to get into I'll definitely be more than willing to try it out (and get utterly destroyed, probably!).

• Upvote 1

What did @grindmouse end up making of this after he shat the absolute bed a couple of hours before the game received favourable reviews? That was fucking hilarious. Like when Nintendo unveiled the Switch and he hated it and said it would tank, and then the Switch went on to absolutely smash it and be amazing.

2 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

What did @grindmouse end up making of this after he shat the absolute bed a couple of hours before the game received favourable reviews? That was fucking hilarious. Like when Nintendo unveiled the Switch and he hated it and said it would tank, and then the Switch went on to absolutely smash it and be amazing.

I'll pick it up after Luigi's Mansion. Which is a delight by the way.

I still think Pokemon Company are phoning it in, and given the revenue it generates can afford to pump more into development.

Wait you can't tag someone goading them into the thread like that and then blame them for writing a reasonable, two line response. Can we not stink up the thread with this shit please.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

5 minutes ago, John0 said:

Wait you can't tag someone goading them into the thread like that and then blame them for writing a reasonable, two line response. Can we not stink up the thread with this shit please.

:rolleyes: For fucksake.

6 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I'll pick it up after Luigi's Mansion. Which is a delight by the way.

I still think Pokemon Company are phoning it in, and given the revenue it generates can afford to pump more into development.

Compared to what though? Pokemon is the laziest, greediest, most creatively bankrupt franchise in the industry. Fucking FIFA changes more version to version than Pokemon does, and they’ve been ripping off their fans since day one. There’s never been a time when the franchise wasn’t putting the least possible effort in and doing whatever it can to grift it’s fans.

• Downvote 1

They’re not being grifted if they’re getting what they want, and the sales figures clearly show they’re getting what they want.

• Upvote 1

Can you use move tutors multiple times? This dude wants to teach me Steel Beam but I won’t do it if I will be getting another Pokémon in the future it might suit better. Unless I can just keep dropping by

12 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

Can you use move tutors multiple times? This dude wants to teach me Steel Beam but I won’t do it if I will be getting another Pokémon in the future it might suit better. Unless I can just keep dropping by

You can teach the moves to any eligible Pokémon, as often as you like.

I tried some online matches last night. First off, a Casual battle. I never even stood a chance against their Zacian.

So, I went into ranked instead. Played 1, won 1, and was happy. So, now that it's played 4, won 1, I'm wondering if "Beginner" is the right name for the first rank. :huh:

• Upvote 2

I've only tried a couple of battles online. Did you rent a team? I rented one of pokeaimmd's (I think) teams and I won 2/2. Felt a bit cheap so gonna grow some teams myself before diving back in.

I used my own, which are woefully unable to withstand the players I'm matched with. Seeing a lot of Rotom ovens, Dragapults, Togekiss, Mimikyu, and Moxie Gyarados. 

I didn't even know Mimikyu was in the game! So, my new project is to get me a team that actually stands a chance online. Feels like max-IVs and EVs are going to be essential.

10 hours ago, Delargey said:

I've put an Eevee with an Sylveon but got nothing. :(

How far did you walk/bike afterwards?

EDIT: and they're not two boys are they? ;)

Catching a normal one and doing a link trade with the code 4448 usually works quite quickly. Just check the Ditto that you are receiving has a code like "FRE" next to it's name to suggest it's a foreign language one. If not cancel out and try again. Shouldn't take too long.

As for Eevee - I didn't realise the chances of getting a female one was so low. Hatched a full box of them the other day to send over as surprise trades and they were all male.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Catching a normal one and doing a link trade with the code 4448 usually works quite quickly. Just check the Ditto that you are receiving has a code like "FRE" next to it's name to suggest it's a foreign language one. If not cancel out and try again. Shouldn't take too long.

As for Eevee - I didn't realise the chances of getting a female one was so low. Hatched a full box of them the other day to send over as surprise trades and they were all male.

Thanks, I’ll give that a go :) 

1 hour ago, thecyclingninja said:

Any recommendations for something similar to this style of game. My daughter has just finished the game and is looking for something of a similar style to play on the switch.

Has she played Let’s Go Eevee/Pikachu?

Go to route 6, and speak to the fossil lady. Save the game. Give her Fossilised Fish + Fossilised Drake. If the resulting Dracovish isn't Strong Jaw, reload and do it again. Start battling to level it up. Invest in Speed and Attack. Get it to level 64. Finally, use Fishious Rend to cheese the hell out of Battle Tower! 

Seriously, it's so powerful that it's utterly broken. Most opponents are down in just 3 turns, and those that aren't are normally easy pickings afterwards. 

47 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

Go to route 6, and speak to the fossil lady. Save the game. Give her Fossilised Fish + Fossilised Drake. If the resulting Dracovish isn't Strong Jaw, reload and do it again. Start battling to level it up. Invest in Speed and Attack. Get it to level 64. Finally, use Fishious Rend to cheese the hell out of Battle Tower! 

Seriously, it's so powerful that it's utterly broken. Most opponents are down in just 3 turns, and those that aren't are normally easy pickings afterwards. 

Where do you get the fossils?

edit - never mind, looked it up!