Pokemon Sword & Shield - Nintendo Switch

Pick a team!  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 11/01/2020 at 16:09, Retroid said:

Bit of a dick move tying Slowpoke's evolution to the DLC.

They told you this would be the case during the Direct. I don't think it counts as a dick move that you weren't paying attention.

7 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

They told you this would be the case during the Direct. I don't think it counts as a dick move that you weren't paying attention.

Calm down, I still like suprises so I skip through stuff for the details and only found out because of the message given at the Pokecentre.

Before I knew about the evolutions being tied I was like "Wow, this is a nice little gesture to get people to buy the DLC" - now it's more of "Wow, that's a skeevy move to invest people into buying the DLC". And it really is - it's clever but it's a financial move and shouldn't be hailed as a freebie.

Version 2 of my Sirfetch'd Singles team:

IMG_20200112_174709.thumb.jpg.0895d32b41a21db9ee3331a00ae6acea.jpg

Managed to make it to Ultra Ball Tier. Not a massive achievement as you rank up going 50-50 gradually due to win streaks, but still pretty pleased with that :)

Just defeated the seventh gym... Getting a strong sense of S/S suffering from Wind Waker Syndrome; in so many places there feels things have been left out from the game world and story. All being said, I’m finding this game a considerably less satisfying experience than any of the 3DS ‘Mon adventures.

3 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Just defeated the seventh gym... Getting a strong sense of S/S suffering from Wind Waker Syndrome; in so many places there feels things have been left out from the game world and story. All being said, I’m finding this game a considerably less satisfying experience than any of the 3DS ‘Mon adventures.

I found the exact opposite. After the insane mess of mini games and horrible, intrusive story in Ultra Sun,  I’ve found the simple story and fast pacing of this a joy and I’ve even managed to complete my Pokédex. I love the Max Raid  battles and am really enjoying the post-game content.  

I'm somewhat with both of you. The pace definitely felt like it picked up later on, but at least some of that was due to the lack of a long and drawn-out section just prior to the Elite 4. I've generally hated Victory Road, so its removal was very welcome to me. I do agree, though, that this means that the game does feel rushed, especially when it comes to Spikemuth. 

Post-game is a lot better than ever before, and this means that I've managed to reach level 100 with more than one of my mons for the first time! Raids aren't dull yet, and that new G-max forms keep on reaching us keeps things fresh. I'm still on the look-out for Duralodon, Lapras, Gengar, Machamp, and any others that I might not even be aware of. 

Overall, I feel it's the best Pokémon game ever, and it will become even better with the expansions. But I also can see why some may be disappointed along the way, because the focus changes halfway through from standard Pokémon fare to a much more battle-focused experience. Wether this is due to time constraints, or a deliberate direction is unknown, but it definitely has led to some thinking less of the whole game because of it, and the announcement of expansions will certainly exacerbate that feeling in some.

Just finished the story mode... Wish I could say I'd not lost a battle - but that Champ's Charizard had a surprising moveset and was incredibly fast, beating out every powerful move I had.

Ah well time to complete the Dex...

Can someone give me some tips on how to manage my pokemon? I have about 90 now and they are randomly filling my boxes but I can't seem to find a way to sort them. Also, what are battle teams for and how do I use them? I made a team for taking on the 4th gym but I don't know how to use them.

3 hours ago, Sane said:

Can someone give me some tips on how to manage my pokemon? I have about 90 now and they are randomly filling my boxes but I can't seem to find a way to sort them. Also, what are battle teams for and how do I use them? I made a team for taking on the 4th gym but I don't know how to use them.

I tried to keep them organised, but it was futile task so gave up. It just put Pokémon in the last box you accessed, which I found impossible to keep up with.

6 hours ago, Sane said:

Also, what are battle teams for and how do I use them?

They're for Battle Tower and the online arena. You can set specific teams, saving you the trouble of moving your 'mons about in order to enter with your party, but the functionality isn't quite as good as it sounds. And you can't send a Pokémon in a team on a job, so I mostly just amend my party, to be honest. It's a nice option, but I'd want it to be more fully-featured than it currently is.

ah, yeah too bad. This is my first Pokemon game, I just assumed there would be better ways to organise things since managing hundreds of pokemons is kinda the core thing you do. 

I don't think there's any way to sort pokemon in boxes is there? You kind of just have to do it manually. I think it's one of the quirks in the series that has persisted, and is slightly better than last time around but could really do with a complete overhaul. I wish there was a button to go straight to the boxes rather than having to go through your team.. but this is the first in the series where you can actually access your boxes from anywhere I believe? So yeah, annoying, but could be worse :)

The Wild Area makes completing a living Dex in Sword / Shield more irritating than any other generation. Not only do you have to know which area the Pokemon you are looking for appears in, you have to know which way it appears (random encounters, symbol encounters, and wandering) but also what the weather has to be as well. Which unlike the seasons in Black/White are not predictable so you have to check each day and then go and look for the Pokemon while avoiding the irritating Pokemon that chase you as soon as you get near them. 

8 hours ago, ryodi said:

irritating Pokemon that chase you as soon as you get near them. 

Sneasel are loathsome creatures indeed. As soon as you breath in the vicinity of one, a whole swarm starts Naruto-running right at you, determined that you will never reach that shaking-grass for the much more rare Pokémon you're actually there for!

But even they are nothing compared to the Noivern, Braviary, and Bisharp hordes at the Lake of Outrage. Not only are they overly keen, they're bloody fast to boot. Leave me alone, guys, all I'm here for is a Jolly Ditto!

13 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

Sneasel are loathsome creatures indeed. As soon as you breath in the vicinity of one, a whole swarm starts Naruto-running right at you, determined that you will never reach that shaking-grass for the much more rare Pokémon you're actually there for!

But even they are nothing compared to the Noivern, Braviary, and Bisharp hordes at the Lake of Outrage. Not only are they overly keen, they're bloody fast to boot. Leave me alone, guys, all I'm here for is a Jolly Ditto!

First time I went to Outrage I saw a Rotom in the distance, split-second later it was in my face throwing down... We need more Pokemon like that it was ace!

The game crashed on me yesterday just after I had caught a Pokemon I didn't have. Which is annoying and also the first time a Pokemon game has ever crashed on me.

One minor criticism but it also annoys me that fast travel is just a loading screen. I miss the train animation you got in Heart Gold / Soul Silver and the animation you got when using Poke Ride in Sun/Moon. They both added some character to the world and it's a shame these games don't have something similar.

On 26/01/2020 at 18:02, ryodi said:

The game crashed on me yesterday just after I had caught a Pokemon I didn't have.

Quick tip for this. When the game freezes up, try going to settings and turning on airplane mode and then going back to the game. Has worked for me.