rllmuk
ThePixelbarks

Pokemon Sword & Shield - Nintendo Switch

Pick a team!  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The expansion is such a mix of pure magic and infuriating minimum effort story-mode for me. The lack of scaling for the battles just feels so unbelievably lazy. My level 100 shiny Whimsicott just one shots everything, making all the NPCs reactions to what's going on ludicrous. I turned up at the Dojo and within an hour of being there I had broken all records and graduated. Sure I could have gone in with lower level stuff but.. then what am I doing? Trying to balance the game for myself? I have to then decide how hard to make it for myself? Without knowing NPCs levels before hand? To what actual end? Just seemed pointless so I carried one OHKOing everything. Surely the nature of DLC necessitated *some* sort of acknowledgement that some people are going to have max level stuff and some aren't?

But then I'm cycling around the wild and an Emolga flies right past my camera and it the whole thing feels like absolute magic. It's like I'm flashing back and forth several times a minute between barely being able to stomach it and thinking it's the best thing in the world.

I know story-mode has always been like this. But it still really gets to me. I'd love to play a pokemon story-mode that I could actually get into a little bit. Still, all the post game stuff will be very interesting. The new moves are super exciting! And pumped for the meta shakeup. Plus the character that resets all your EVs is such a great addition.

• Upvote 1

I'm not going over there until I get my Shiny Sableye.

I was 950 battles in then decided to go with the Masuda method and I reckon Ive filled at least 6 or more boxes with hatched Sableye and not a sniff, I'm starting to think my Shiny charm is busted.

Yeah my first impressions are a bit meh. Once I put more time in it, and chase the living dex again, I'm sure I'll get my money's worth out of my £20, with the superior half coming later in the year, but it's just pretty uninspiring. 

Which is initially odd, as I have fond memories of the base game and really enjoyed it despite its obvious flaws. This flaws seem much more evident now, or maybe a little less forgiveable given they had a little bit more time. 

Firstly, the wild area seems to look worse. Now, I don't think it actually does, as the base game's wasn't a looker. But the wider, more open spaces of (what I have seen of) the island just seem blander than what we got before. Plus you had the towns and routes to mix things up visually. 

The "new" selection of Pokémon don't hold much attraction. Firstly as my team is set up already, secondly because there's nothing new to surprise me and thirdly because I caught most of these monsters in Pokémon Sun (and X before then, and Black before then etc...). I could just transfer them all over if I wanted. Feels a bit arbitrary catching them again. 

And finally it just seems criminally undercooked or half-arsed. I stuck up for the base game a little so maybe I'm a hypocrite, but some stuff seems inexcusable. The bare bones story was there in the original title for example, but here it rankles. Most of it, it's the lack of bloody scaling. Most people complain about a DLC that arbitrarily makes you grind or has the level cap higher than you would be when trying to enter the game. 

This is baffling as they must know a lot of players finished the game and their EXP share reduced the grind so everything levelled up quickly. So why does scaling stop at level 60 and make it a cake walk? Surely it wouldn't be that hard to program to match your team? They already added some scaling but tied it to gym badges, so you just wonder whether they are too blindsided to think any further ahead in terms of the player's leve, are scared of a "kids', game" being too challenging (Blue was pretty hard when I was 10) or they just couldn't be bothered implementing it. 

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today. Or got plenty of games on my plate so it wasn't the best time to splash out on this. 

I've not tried it yet as I said, but I assumed you get the little bear as a new "Starter" and would then use him like you would with any new starter and almost start again?

5 minutes ago, Ballzzie said:

I've not tried it yet as I said, but I assumed you get the little bear as a new "Starter" and would then use him like you would with any new starter and almost start again?

Which might be nice. But once you've completed every gym you end up with the basic wild mons on the island being level 60 and trainers being similar or slightly above. So that's not gonna work at all unless you head back to starting areas on the main island. Which seems somewhat silly.

So in the party whilst fighting high level mons to bring them up to speed it is. But even then as @Parksey says my team (just from completing the main game and farming the dex) is generally level 70-90 so trounces everything.

I'm having fun to an extent and will enjoy filling the dex (having never completed a Pokemon game until Lets Go). But the 'story' content seems a bit off at the moment. Maybe it'll improve in the towers but I don't really expect so.

The bottom line is, if you could get your money back, would you? I would.

I’ll try and draw some value out of it and hope Game Freak is more thoughtful with The Crown Tundra, but this is uninspiring content made worse for being played out in casual mode unless you make your own difficulty, which is to let GF off the hook.

I like my new £20 bike, s’pose...

Having just seen "The end" on my screen, I really can't argue about the story seeming lazy. I mean, I didn't buy it for the story, but even so a little bit more would surely not have killed Game Freak.

But, I also agree with how enjoyable it all is outside of that! SeeingTangrowth in the wild cracked me up, and that first Sharpedo made me jump. I'm already planning on making another character to play with this at lower levels, mainly so I can get the other form of Urshifu. There could be plenty of joy in going through the main game with a team made up from IoA Mons only, and levelling Kubfu up slowly, with some actual risk in most Gyms. (I know that sounds like artificially adding longevity to the game, basically because it is.)

And, it needs to be restated that this is only half of the full thing, possibly less than that. So, while I would have loved more, I reckon this will prove to be well worth £10 by the time I'm done with it.

My son is playing both Sword & Shield - he started with Shield but his brother got Sword so he started again on that after. He’s interested in the expansion pass now, is it right he’d need one for each title? #classicnintendo

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kryptonian said:

My son is playing both Sword & Shield - he started with Shield but his brother got Sword so he started again on that after. He’s interested in the expansion pass now, is it right he’d need one for each title? #classicnintendo

Yes

• Upvote 1

I’ve managed to shrug off the buyer’s remorse. Searching the Isle of Armor for Digletts while catching new old Pokemon has provided some welcome summer chill gaming. I prefer being here than on my Animal Crossing island right now.

It’s gone from ‘this is rubbish’ to ‘I want more of this’.

Yeah once you get past the disappiontment of the shabby frills and lack of improvements, it's still quite compelling just filling up your pokedex. I've refrained from just copying all my old ones over (got to pay for a Bank pass and a Home pass to get a them from Pokemon Sun, properly grasping stuff from Nintendo just to have the "privilege" of keeping your monsters in storage) so I'm going for a living Dex again.

Haven't even started the "story". I'll likely easily stick another dozen or so hours in so it'll be worth the tenner. 

It's good for TV gaming, given the footy is back too. 

There are signs from the new Wild Area that they might eventually be able to fulfill on some of its promise. Sun and Moon were comfortably better than the disappointing X/Y so I'm sort of resigned to this gen being quite flawed (though I did enjoy the base game a lot, with 125 hours in it), but the next one should/needs to be a step up. Let's face it, the core Pokémon gameplay and addictive collecting gets it a lot of leeway, so it's about time they improved the trimmings.  

Pokemon help please, gang. I don’t play it, but my son is obsessed. 

He wants to connect Pokemon Home to his other games (he has Sword on the Switch, and has just picked up Ultra Sun for his DS). 

On Pokemon Home, it said to enter his Nintendo Account details. He doesn’t have one (he’s 12), but I’m guessing this is the same account I used to set up my Switch, and use the Eshop etc?

Anyway, a scary warning comes up to say that if you connect the wrong Nintendo account, you’ll never be able to do lots of things, all of which my son will want to do.

Do I have to set him up with his own Nintendo account? He’s 12. 

Apparently I have 3 days to sort this out as there’s some time-limited opportunity to catch a shiny version of something or other so I need to sort this now. 

If anyone can share any light I’d be very grateful!

9 hours ago, Twinbee said:

Pokemon help please, gang. I don’t play it, but my son is obsessed. 

He wants to connect Pokemon Home to his other games (he has Sword on the Switch, and has just picked up Ultra Sun for his DS). 

On Pokemon Home, it said to enter his Nintendo Account details. He doesn’t have one (he’s 12), but I’m guessing this is the same account I used to set up my Switch, and use the Eshop etc?

Anyway, a scary warning comes up to say that if you connect the wrong Nintendo account, you’ll never be able to do lots of things, all of which my son will want to do.

Do I have to set him up with his own Nintendo account? He’s 12. 

Apparently I have 3 days to sort this out as there’s some time-limited opportunity to catch a shiny version of something or other so I need to sort this now. 

If anyone can share any light I’d be very grateful!

You need to set up a kids Nintendo account as a sub account off your own or he won’t be able to play online. You then add that to his profile

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Nintendo-Account/About-Nintendo-Accounts/What-is-a-child-account-/How-can-I-create-a-child-account-/How-can-I-create-a-child-account--1177534.html

• Upvote 1

Where’s the cheapest place to get this expansion? I’m going to need one of each...

I'm thinking of picking up the Shield one also, even though I've mostly been raiding since I got the the Isle of Armour. Mind you, I may want until the second part of the DLC and the Legendary raids & DMax Adventure modes.

At last!!!!

30+ hours of endless circles at Bridge Field. Over 500 Eggs hatched (with three 6x Best IV I must add) she finally decided to appear!

Goldeneye!!!

Goldeneye.jpg

Now I can move onto the DLC.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Peb Kacharach said:

Any chance they'll bundle the base & expansion together at some point for less than £70? Sigh.

It's not a bundle, but Shopto has the base game for £35, and the link above is the download code for the expansion for £20.

https://www.shopto.net/en/swpo21-pokemon-shield-p62260/

The download code for the base game is £39 too. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Parksey said:

It's not a bundle, but Shopto has the base game for £35, and the link above is the download code for the expansion for £20.

https://www.shopto.net/en/swpo21-pokemon-shield-p62260/

The download code for the base game is £39 too. 

Looks like the base game is £43 now.

I'll keep an eye out, need to finish TLOU2 first anyway.

47 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

Looks like the base game is £43 now.

I'll keep an eye out, need to finish TLOU2 first anyway.

It's still showing up as £35 for me on Shopto? I dunno if that's because I live outside the UK and it's doing some jiggery-pokery, but it's displayed in pounds too. 

If it's anything like the last few Pokémon games, it won't ever get *that* cheap unfortunately. They hold their value. The Let's Go games are the same price on ShopTo and a year older. Ultra Sun/Moon seems to hover around £30 as well. 

So a little into the DLC, biggest surprise so far has been finding out

Spoiler

Avery was a bloke.

Off to get some Mushrooms or something.

Like a complete plum, I've only just realized after all this time that you can go online and invite others into your max raid, or join others. I've been stuck for months on a 5 star gigantimax Snorlax raid when it finally occurred I should go online. That's pretty much all I've been doing since, loads of fun (even if the lobby system is buggy as shite). About 3 5* raids got enough candy to fully evolve the other two starter Pokémon, which I got as a gift from Home. 

Anyway, once you've finished the story line, are raids supposed to reset every 24 hours? Or per they never did and I just didn't notice? I have to finish all of them to get them to reset now. 

They will be a lot quieter now as the Gigantamax events over. Hope you all managed to fight a Zeraora? If you did and you use Home, make sure you have moved a Pokémon into storage and you'll get a Shiny Zeraora later.

The Gigantamax event being over is good news. The Zeraora event being over is better news! One day, they will be able to show me only badges for raids that I can actually get into on my feed, and that will finally be the best news.

• Upvote 1

Guys, anyone got a high IV (pref 4 x Best) foreign language Abra or its Evo's that I could borrow/trade for pls? Want to start my next Shiny Mon hunt.

18 hours ago, Ballzzie said:

They will be a lot quieter now as the Gigantamax events over. Hope you all managed to fight a Zeraora? If you did and you use Home, make sure you have moved a Pokémon into storage and you'll get a Shiny Zeraora later.

It says I couldn't catch it, but I never managed to beat it anyway.