IGNORED

Pokemon Sword & Shield - Nintendo Switch

ThePixelbarks

Pick a team!  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Every Pokemon game is designed to be someones first Pokemon game so they are never going to stray that far from winning formula. This does look like a nice evolution of the Sun / Moon games but still lacks the character of the Black / White games which are still the pinnacle of the series for me.

4 hours ago, Rayn said:

This. Complaining that massive franchises doesn't change is almost like complaining about coffee don't taste more like tea. 

Change or evolve though? Because this looks like it has the exact same battle and catching mechanics and the exact same way of interacting with the world as the now over 20 years old first game. It should surely have fights that look as cool as Pokémon stadium (an N64 game) at the very least? 

Sounds like you'll love the game as it is, but there's undeniably a lot of unfulfilled potential with the franchise. I honestly don't care and won't post in here again as it clearly winds people up to be a bit negative, but my first thoughts are "at least that's £40 saved".

This whole BotW-thing always sounded like a case a wishfull thinking to be honest. Yes, I know, rumours stated that BotW would be the big inspiration but trusting those tends to be 50-50 when it comes go Nintendo.

As it is, i’m liking what I’m seeing so far. It’s an evolution of Sun/Moon, yes. Those titles had issues but showed tremendous potential for taking the formula further. The first trailer shown looks to be addressing at least some of those issues.

9 hours ago, Jackson said:

Because this looks like it has the exact same battle and catching mechanics and the exact same way of interacting with the world as the now over 20 years old first game.

No it doesn't. Mainly because they didn't show anything to suggest (or debunk) this.

Everyone is guessing and second guessing.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Everyone is guessing and second guessing.

We’re not really though, are we? We’re basing it on Sun and Moon, which we’re increasingly linear and limited using that exact same visual language.

Actually suggesting a sequel would use the same visual language to demonstrate the opposite concept is actually far more of a stretch considering I don’t think that’s ever happened in the entire history of the industry.

I think it'll be like a Pokemon game. If you've liked others, you'll probably like this one. If you've not liked the others, you probably won't like this one.

The group of people that liked the others is pretty big, so I think they'll be chasing after keeping them happy rather than trying to change the minds of the other group (which includes me).

Expecting them to fundamentally change Pokemon is nuts. They did it with Zelda as they needed to, the audience was shrinking and it needed a shake. That's not the case for Pokemon, it's in good shape and doesn't need revolution.

The traditional main difference between the two versions is that there will be Pokémon exclusive to each version. The mascot legendary Pokémon you fight as a boss and have the opportunity to capture is usually dependent on the version as well. Other than that the differences have varied by generation. There will be aesthetic differences, sometimes differences between the campaign stories, locations that are exclusive to each version or will be significantly remixed depending on the version. There are sometimes differences based on the overall theme too. Sun and Moon are set twelve hours are apart for instance, so if you play Sun during the day it'll be day time but if you play Moon it'll be night time, and you encounter different Pokémon based on that. We'll have to wait and see exactly what the differences are this time. Maybe this time Sword is a Pokémon game and Shield is Red Dead Redemption 3. ;) 

6 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I've never played a Pokemon game.  Why are there 2 versions and what's the difference between them?

Pokemon is set in a dystopia where Pokemon are kept captive, battled for sport, used in industry and bartered. 

The games each only have a certain number of all the Pokemon and you have to trade them with people that have the other one. It’s a clever way of bringing that part of the Pokemon economy into the real world. 

23 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

bringing back the bike for example.

I did like the guy in Let's Go! who says "Look at all my bikes! I've got all the bikes! So many bikes. NO YOU CAN'T HAVE A BIKE THEY'RE NOT FOR RIDING!"

37 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Good shape in terms of sales, but not technically, relative to the advancements made in similarly popular franchises.

I don’t think people were expecting the fundamentals to change. It’s not like Pokemon has the clever dungeon design of Zelda, it’s progression is specifically gated around the gym system, so an open world would only go so far.

I think people were, not unreasonably, expecting more open and complex environments, bringing back the bike for example... instead there are still invisible corridors. Presentation-wise, seeing the pokemon in the overworld was established in Let’s Go, but appears absent here, the environments are low-poly with low-res textures - and the battle system is still pretty basic.

It doesn’t mean Sword/Shield won’t possess some innovations or charm, but we’re hardly asking for the moon on a stick.

How about you wait until we know a little more - I'm pretty confident they've not shown us everything in the initial reveal, so let's not get too stuck to the 'there is nothing new at all in this, it's a lazy update' line until we're sure it has any foundation in what's actually being developed.

As I've said, I'm no Pokemon fan and won't likely be buying this, but I've seen enough Nintendo reveals to know that it's not wise to start assuming they've shown everything and it's going to offer absolutely nothing new at all.

3 hours ago, JLM said:

The traditional main difference between the two versions is that there will be Pokémon exclusive to each version. The mascot legendary Pokémon you fight as a boss and have the opportunity to capture is usually dependent on the version as well. Other than that the differences have varied by generation. There will be aesthetic differences, sometimes differences between the campaign stories, locations that are exclusive to each version or will be significantly remixed depending on the version. There are sometimes differences based on the overall theme too. Sun and Moon are set twelve hours are apart for instance, so if you play Sun during the day it'll be day time but if you play Moon it'll be night time, and you encounter different Pokémon based on that. We'll have to wait and see exactly what the differences are this time. Maybe this time Sword is a Pokémon game and Shield is Red Dead Redemption 3. ;) 

As it's based on the UK one version will be Remain in the EU and the other Leave. No trading allowed if you get Leave edition.

No Dark type either in that one. 

I don't think I'll be doing two versions again, after Let's Go. We had a lot more 'attachment' to Pikachu and Eevee to warrant a splurge, but it's a chunk of change for a minor difference. Especially if it links to Go and allows you to mitigate the missing Pokemon for each version, again.

Hope we're able to use the pokeball controllers, the kids really enjoyed those.

Hey guys, you know that popular series of stat based JRPG's that happens to be the third highest selling gaming franchise of all time, well I think we should chuck all that out and ape a action adventure series of games instead.

Now where do I claim my money?