IGNORED

Pokemon Sword & Shield - Nintendo Switch

ThePixelbarks

Pick a team!  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Does anyone actually believe the whole Dex fiasco to be true? As in seriously?  When it was first announced I kinda got it, they were cutting out some of the chaff so they could bring it back later in later generations as some sort of homecoming. But after seeing the list of who made it through, I don't buy it for a second any more.

No Bulbasaur?

No Squirtle?

That alone is completely unthinkable from a prospect of marketing. But let's not stop there, how about the synopsis for the new TV series to accompany the games:

Some new episode titles for the upcoming anime series have been released. These episodes are due to air on December 1st, December 8th and 15th respectively. The first episode features Ash & Go investigate a sudden influx of Ivysaur near Vermilion City and decide to follow them to see where they go. The second episode features Ash & Go head to Galar to investigate the Dynamax phenomenon (From Serebii)

Ivysaur, right there, in the first episodes. In fact, someone cross referenced the "Dex" with a popularity poll of pokemon. Out of the top 100, around 20% made "the cut".

This all screams post game DLC season pass to me. I just can't buy the culling of the dex in the slightest.

I want to be able to put an all star team from all of my previous games together for the post-game Battle Tower. I also liked seeing all of the little tweaks and balance changes and seeing how they would affect my previous squads.  I could do that in the previous games, I'm disappointed I can't do it in this one. 

The National Dex was in all of the previous games and it never made anyone obligated to try and get all of them, so the "game with thousands of these things to collect" thing shows a misunderstanding of the issue. It doesn't means that every Pokemon ever is in the game and you have to find them all,  it just gives you the option to transfer whatever you want from your previous games, which was always a really cool feature to me. . The regional pokedex is a separate thing that the previous games have all had, but those other games had the national dex as well. This new game only has one of those things. Fair enough if it's due to technical limiations or because they're holding it back for DLC or whatever, but it is insane to me that people are saying it's an improvement or that nobody should be disappointed.

I'm not a player, but my girl is and I plan to buy either Sword or Shield for her, for her Birthday. How to choose? Is there a hierarchy here? Will I be banished to the sofa if I choose the Pokemon equivalent of a Honda Jazz? I'd be grateful for guidance. 

1 hour ago, Danno said:

I'm not a player, but my girl is and I plan to buy either Sword or Shield for her, for her Birthday. How to choose? Is there a hierarchy here? Will I be banished to the sofa if I choose the Pokemon equivalent of a Honda Jazz? I'd be grateful for guidance. 

It tells you in the very first post of this thread.

I bought the 2 games voucher thing last night (yes your honour I had been drinking but I wasn’t drunk) and immediately used them on Smash Bros and Pokemon Sword, so I’m now all preloaded and ready for launch day. 

8 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

It's almost out. It's a UK-based (and directed) Pokemon, go in knowing nothing, it might be your only chance to do so!

I’m like this with football, ignore the scores all day, completely skirt social media then get giddy and check 10 minutes before Match Of The Day,

Deal, I’m going in blind, bring on Friday!

I'm just thinking that once you've played this one it's likely you'll be more tapped into the news for the sequel. I've somehow dodged seeing almost everything too, hopefully we won't meet in a buyer's remorse thread soon. 

Yeah this is the most spoiler-free I’ve been since going into Black and White blind. I know the starters and I’ve seen a handful of the early reveals but since I heard there was a full leak out there I’ve been in a self imposed black out. Thanks for using spoiler tags everyone. Hope simply games manage to deliver before Friday. :D 

Finally ordered both games. Was going to get the double pack with the figure, but nowhere has it in stock. Shopto emailed last night to say they were doing the steelbook versions for £42.85 each, so I bit. (Actually, they emailed about the version with the figure but it was out of stock even though I clicked the link seconds after the email came through.)

Only... they wouldn't let me have it delivered to work, only home (I'll never get it if they send it home). They say that after three orders with them, I can change my delivery address. I've ordered loads from them, and it's not an option.

And they also say that I can have it delivered to any Paypal registered address if I pay by Paypal. Which I did. Only they don't let you choose an address if you do that - just what's stored in your Shopto account.

So I thought I'd set it to home and try to sort it with support afterwards. Order in, chose "pay later", chose Paypal, and £85.70 sent immediately. Not "later".

And not only that, even though I've paid £85.70, the email confirmation from Shopto shows I've not ordered Pokemon Sword, only Pokemon Shield. It was in my basket. It was on the confirmation screen. I've paid for it. But it's not in my order.

Fuck sake. 

@CheekyLeeLast time I preloaded a game and tried at midnight, it wasn't available until the afternoon of the next day.

That was an indie title that I had preorded to show support for and I was up at that time rather than specifically staying up for it. Perhaps they'll get their shit together for a big release like this.

1 hour ago, CheekyLee said:

I plumped for Sword, and my son is getting Shield. I'm pre-loaded, and ready to not roll at midnight because someone at Nintendo forgot to throw the switch! As Germany are an hour ahead, does anyone know if this will be live at 11pm our time or not?

Set your Switch/account to a different territory and find out. :) 

7 hours ago, deKay said:

Finally ordered both games. Was going to get the double pack with the figure, but nowhere has it in stock. Shopto emailed last night to say they were doing the steelbook versions for £42.85 each, so I bit. (Actually, they emailed about the version with the figure but it was out of stock even though I clicked the link seconds after the email came through.)

Only... they wouldn't let me have it delivered to work, only home (I'll never get it if they send it home). They say that after three orders with them, I can change my delivery address. I've ordered loads from them, and it's not an option.

And they also say that I can have it delivered to any Paypal registered address if I pay by Paypal. Which I did. Only they don't let you choose an address if you do that - just what's stored in your Shopto account.

So I thought I'd set it to home and try to sort it with support afterwards. Order in, chose "pay later", chose Paypal, and £85.70 sent immediately. Not "later".

And not only that, even though I've paid £85.70, the email confirmation from Shopto shows I've not ordered Pokemon Sword, only Pokemon Shield. It was in my basket. It was on the confirmation screen. I've paid for it. But it's not in my order.

Fuck sake. 

I rang them. They refunded me the cost of the missing game, so I could reorder the missing game. Only even though it says it's the steelbook version on the website, the order came through as the non-steelbook version. And, of course, I don't get free next day delivery as the order is now 2x£42 and so not over £50.

They couldn't tell me if the game I'd get would be the steelbook version or not, and I wouldn't know until it arrived.

So fucked it all in the bin. Shambles.

33 minutes ago, Dr Nookie said:

My son - 8 year old is only just getting into Pokemon.  He's got a few cards, and has just done the Let's Go Pikachu demo on the Switch.  

What should I get him for Chrimbo?  That or this?  I literally haven't got a clue about this stuff.

Pokemon lets go would be much more youngster friendly I imagine :)

RE: "Missing" pokemon:

As I said before, it was completely unthinkable that TPC would allow the Charmander line to be put in, but not the other two gen 1 starters. It was just unacceptable from a marketing standpoint and it made "Pokemon home" a pointless product. Turns out, it looks like I was right to think this.

Raids are the perfect way to drip feed the remaining mons into the game, we a live service now.

This seems to be a bit of a shitshow looking online, they won’t even let you change the volume unless you visit an in-game NPC. The soundtrack is MIDI.

And that quote about not having the time or resources to complete all the Pokemon seems to refer to the whole game, if they didn’t have a background finished for a location, battles take place in the placeholder void, and you see the placeholder void a lot.

Somehow animations, polish and unique assets have actually taken a step back from the 3DS, it’s baffling. Just sounds like the dev team chafing under an annual release cycle that no one in the audience asked for.