Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

9 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

There's loads of examples of a light saber not cutting through things like they are paper in the original trilogy. It sparks hitting things etc.

Don't really this as a problem to be honest.

Say that to Obi-Wan Kenobi.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, K said:

Is Star Wars really the place for formal experimentation? It's like going into Wagamamas and saying "this is all a bit safe, isn't it?". If you want weird risky stuff, play Death Stranding.

Always taking the high ground ;)

• Upvote 2
41 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

There's loads of examples of a light saber not cutting through things like they are paper in the original trilogy. It sparks hitting things etc.

Don't really this as a problem to be honest.

In one of the prequels, doesn't Ewan McGregor spend ages slowly melting through a door with his light sabre? It takes him ages. 

Agree, no Biggie. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

Bought this at Sainsbury's at lunchtime with my nectar points. 

Glad that everyone's already saying it's shit, before I've even played it! If only I'd waited until the end of the day. 

It isn't, though. There's plenty of people really enjoying it, it just not one of those things where they chuck spectacle into your eyeballs every three seconds. 

There's people complaining about the exploration, for example. I WANT that exploration in my game. I want to find secrets and open up shortcuts. 

I just... can't afford it at the moment. Shit. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Treble said:

It's nice to get into it with Imperials, but killing the fauna over and over is well duff. Not helped by being given a rubbish Force power as your starter.

Really not feeling this at the moment and this quite nicely sums up a lot of how I feel. 

I’m on Zeffo and just getting irritated because literally everything is glowing red and I still can’t force push. Meanwhile, the space rats piss me off like crazy. 

I’ve set up a sell order with CEX so if I get it to them within 10 days they’ll give me £40 for it. It’s not looking good. 

4 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Anyone playing this on its highest difficulty setting? Would like to know how the challenge is.

I'm going to move up to the highest when I next play it. I am currently playing on the level below hardest (Jedi Master I think?) and, aside from the occasional jarringly high difficulty encounter, it is pretty easy going.

• Upvote 1

Enjoying it so far (hope a patch smooths out some of the frame rate but it's not effected anything important like combat or traversal yet)

Regarding lightsaber parts:

Spoiler

Do they all do nothing? I've found a few and so far it's just some cosmetic thing. Seems pretty pointless, intricately designing these modular shaft pieces you barely see during the game. (Equivalent to the uncharted treasures I guess but I find those equally dull to hunt down and they're at least interesting little objects)

Thankfully Zeffo picked up quite nicely when I got towards the end of it, but there's a lot of stuff I'm not keen on. It tries to do a Dark Souls lite, but by virtue of it being lite, you don't get any of the same payoff. The levels feel a bit like going through IKEA - once you've started you're basically stuck traipsing through the whole thing the way they want you to until you reach the end. Each level has a few different bits but they all largely play out like this. Any exploration is just short diversions off the main path.

The map is worthless and the levels aren't as memorable or as cohesive as anything in the Souls games - they just link bits together with stupid ice slides whenever they fancy. So when it comes to getting around during some backtracking, I can see you totally getting lost. It's not obvious where the shortcuts lead to, and you won't remember either. 

Similarly, the combat is enough like Dark Souls to be a pain in the arse but not hard enough to give the same sense of reward.

Anyway, I took down an AT-ST and that was cool, and hopefully Kashyyyk will be more interesting. 

Has anyone been to Dathomir? I've got it as a location but haven't bothered yet. I'm wondering if it's worth the diversion.

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, Ran said:

Enjoying it so far (hope a patch smooths out some of the frame rate but it's not effected anything important like combat or traversal yet)

Regarding lightsaber parts:

Reveal hidden contents

Do they all do nothing? I've found a few and so far it's just some cosmetic thing. Seems pretty pointless, intricately designing these modular shaft pieces you barely see during the game. (Equivalent to the uncharted treasures I guess but I find those equally dull to hunt down and they're at least interesting little objects)

I'm pretty sure the framerate drops are segments of the level loading in. I'm not sure they'll be able to get rid of that entirely, but they might be able to reduce it a little? 

Modular shaft

Keep going... 

• Upvote 3

I've only completed the tutorial section and the opening planet but I'm sold so far.

For all my repetitive moaning about dismemberment the animation/sound team have done a terrific job even without it. The finishers are still immensely satisfying and I can't wait to have some more force powers and abilities in the mix to play with.

The production values are high and the performances in cutscenes are very well done. Cal is admittedly a boring down the middle white dude choice but I'm finding him likeable even so. 

• Upvote 1

Only Xbox analysis. Poor on Xbox. Performance mode on X is about 45fps and apparently quality mode is mostly locked 30fps(!). Certainly doesn’t feel like it. 

Also 1440p on One X, which is pretty disappointing and probably explains why it looks soft to me. I don't know why more games don't use checkerboard 4K. Sony are using it brilliantly on their PS4 Pro games.

It's so similar to the newer Tomb Raider games in terms of what it's doing. Although Lara is a miserable, miserable excuse for a player character, and doesn't have a robot friend. Things are also far more fun when you can make swoosh-swoosh noises.

And now I want to watch the Awesome-O episode of South Park.

4 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Has anyone been to Dathomir? I've got it as a location but haven't bothered yet. I'm wondering if it's worth the diversion.

Yeah on the 3rd difficulty level it’s pretty hard 

I gave up and did Zeffro, came back and still hard, so went to next story planet.

• Upvote 1

I don't normally get too affected or bothered by frame rate issues (so long as they're not horrendously bad). But watching the GiantBomb QL of this the dodgy frame rate at times was making me feel funny :(

Also there's something weird about some of the look of the game to me. There's a slight stylisation to the characters that looks... off. And the animation appears to be a bit odd too - when the player character is running he has a stiff awkward gait, combined with that Uncharted floatiness.

I'm actually intrigued by the game still as I am a sucker for a meaty third person action adventure and sadly we don't see as many of them these days after the open world style took over. May give it a few weeks to fix the technical issues and jump in, as it seems there's a fundamentally good game there.

1 hour ago, sandman said:

Loving this, an interesting mixup of Uncharted, God of war, the Force Unleashed and Banjo Kazooie. 

Not an original idea in sight, but it’s very nice to be playing a good SW game at last

I agree.

Just got to

Kashyyyk

I know the first bit was on rails really, but it was great fun :D