rllmuk
Ivanho

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Loving this. Been dipping in and out all weekend, and can’t wait to spend more time with it. 

Those Wookie graphics though. Playing on a PS4 Pro and they look like they’re made of twigs. :lol:

Yeah, the wookies look terrible. They really stand out because everything else looks pretty much top notch. 

Wookies must be a nightmare to render to current standards, what with all the hair. At least in the Jedi Knight era you could get away with having them look like pepperamis. 

• Upvote 7

That would be fair comment had they not done a proper PhysX job on Cal's hair. It's like they were contractually obliged to have it always be the best-looking thing in the frame.

Playing this on Jedi Master and I might drop it down a level as I am dying an awful lot. Having no real trouble with the Inperials but those blasted rat creatures on Zeffo are a pain in the arse.

Spoiler

Did anyone bother tackling the Guardians? Too tough for me so I just ignored fighting them in the end, maybe come back and take them on later?

4 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Playing this on Jedi Master and I might drop it down a level as I am dying an awful lot. Having no real trouble with the Inperials but those blasted rat creatures on Zeffo are a pain in the arse.

Hide contents

Did anyone bother tackling the Guardians? Too tough for me so I just ignored fighting them in the end, maybe come back and take them on later?

Spoiler

Guardians are not too bad.

They are very slow and all moves are well telegraphed so you can just run in, hit them a few times with a light attack or jump in with a heavy attack or two, then roll out of the way. Keep repeating. All of their big attacks can be easily avoided by dodging/running, especially with a little distance, but after they have been deployed is a good time to run in and get a few hits on them. The important thing is to just hit them a couple of times before backing out. 

I can't remember what force powers you have when encountering the first Guardian but, later, the powers make them a very easy fight. 

The Second Sister is probably my favourite character in the game. Looks cool, is deliciously evil. Her voice actor’s got it spot on. 

What on Earth were they thinking with the 9th sister’s voice?

22 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

The Second Sister is probably my favourite character in the game. Looks cool, is deliciously evil. Her voice actor’s got it spot on. 

What on Earth were they thinking with the 9th sister’s voice?

It certainly brought out the dark side in me when I shoved her off a tree!

In other news, I've just arrived on

Dathomir

Oooh, it's a pretty environment!

The worst apsect for me is the style of the backtracking. I'd wish theyd lock off larger sections of the map (although there's a sizeable one on Zeffo), rather than the little chunks, that you have to run through areas again and again to get it all.

Also the chest contents are all realy poor pallette swaps. Wish they were things that you you could add to and customise your ship in some way.

It feels like Fallen Order has the same problem as Sekiro, in that it’s based on the Dark Souls template of having an intricate world full of hidden items to find, but the actual game isn’t an RPG with loads of gear and alternate weapons, so you open a treasure chest and try to get excited about a consumable you’ll never use (in Sekiro) or a lightsaber handle that looks identical to all the others (in this). 

• Empathy 1

All the lightsabre customisation was really weird. There's no stat benefits and you can only see the changes (Apart from colour) occasionally in cut scenes. What's the point? I wouldn't be surprised if stats were planned at some point but were cut.

Was it possible to actually find colours out in the wild? I know plot spoiler happens which does colour stuff but before that I never found any crystals.

It’s not that weird, I'd say. Previous SW games have let you customise your lightsabre (IIRC, the Force Unleashed games and Jedi Academy), so I don’t think it’s a remnant of some now-removed RPG elements as the game would be horrendously difficult to balance otherwise. I think it just seems off because that the game structure is slightly out of kilter with the Soulsborne genre, in the same way that Sekiro’s was – see also the way that enemies regenerate when you meditate, for no other reason than that’s what Dark / Demon’s Souls did. It’s interesting that the Souls games had actual rationales behind all the game mechanics like co-op and leaving messages, but all the games that came after didn’t really bother – it’s just become a genre convention of videogames, like having a set number of lives or being able to heal yourself by eating a chicken you found in a bin.

Actually, this occurred to me before – is this the first Soulsborne game from one of the really big publishers? Loads of other publishers and developers have cited Dark Souls as an influence, but this feels like the first time really big money has been put into a game that is explicitly based on the Souls template. It’s using the Souls games in the same way that George Lucas used Kurosawa’s films – taking something that’s incredibly refined and rich but is also hard work on occasion, and making it extremely mainstream.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

That would be fair comment had they not done a proper PhysX job on Cal's hair. It's like they were contractually obliged to have it always be the best-looking thing in the frame.

Could you even do hair physics on a Wookie? I thought that was one of the great unsolved problems in physics, like modelling turbulence or the equivalence of inertia and mass. They should just have had Kashyyk afflicted by an outbreak of alopecia, and had them all walking around disconcertingly spindly and naked, like when you see a bird without its feathers.

• Upvote 3

Thing is though it's only running half of the concept of a Souls game. As you say there's little risk/reward of death in this , with no push to kill that enemy to get a better weapon /armour or having to kill an enemy to lost get lost experience or desperately trying to get to a bonfire. Obviously on a mass market licence like this with a broad age range they had to be Souls 'lite' but that effectively boils down to:  'enemies respawn' rather than any of the mains hooks of a Souls game.

If they had the time and the inclination you could have had a more nuanced set of collectibles/unlockable in the chest, with a more varied set of costume parts, key cards to open up secrets, or holofiles to view in the Mantis.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

The Ninth Sister is the worst aspect of the game. That daft as fuck visor is tragic.

Her voice actor is o out of place :lol:

3 minutes ago, macosx said:

Thing is though it's only running half of the concept of a Souls game. As you say there's little risk/reward of death in this , with no push to kill that enemy to get a better weapon /armour or having to kill an enemy to lost get lost experience or desperately trying to get to a bonfire. Obviously on a mass market licence like this with a broad age range they had to be Souls 'lite' but that effectively boils down to:  'enemies respawn' rather than any of the mains hooks of a Souls game.

To be fair, I think they did a pretty good job of taking Sekiro's combat and putting it in a more accessible setting. But yeah, the risk/reward is off. Maybe it would have worked better if you got upgrade points from the chests that are dotted around, rather than getting XP from enemies.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, K said:

Could you even do hair physics on a Wookie? I thought that was one of the great unsolved problems in physics, like modelling turbulence or the equivalence of inertia and mass. They should just have had Kashyyk afflicted by an outbreak of alopecia, and had them all walking around disconcertingly spindly and naked, like when you see a bird without its feathers.

As soon as I saw Kashyyk on the map I KNEW we would get poor hairy Wookies. Still, I really enjoyed Shadows Of The Empire's Wampas14gHK70k-ski_xuZSuGcRpagGVLIopPhtpIHg2XormM.jpg.cb7d94ce80fc3c16347cf1a504574ff5.jpg

Just finished this off and despite a few minor niggles and annoyances I did really enjoy it. The last battle was very special indeed!

I completed the game this morning and in general I enjoyed it a lot. It's a shame that it was obviously pushed out before it was ready as there are some glaring techincal issues at points. By the time I had all the planets on the holo map it was hanging for a few seconds every time I tried to move the cursor to select a planet.

There are a couple of poorly thought out sections as well but the lowlight for me was 

Spoiler

the sky diving on Dathomir, how that ended up in the final release I have no idea, you basically fall for 5 seconds and have to get near the bird without any real feel for how to control your character, if you fail it just puts you back above the bird and you rinse and repeat until you get exactly the right amount of stick movement to catch onto the bird, then you have to do it two more times. It's just needlessly fiddly and completely breaks up what's a quite nice scene.

The chests (beyond the ones that give you stim upgrades) are also totally pointless. Maybe someone cares about a palette swap on your ship but I couldn't give a toss and as suggested who can see what's changed on the saber. Also I never understood the point of the plant seeds. So they go in the little bit on the ship, it just seemed so pointless. I get the impression they were going with that Mass Effect vib of you feeling that you were customising your ship but it just never worked.

Having said all that I really enjoyed the story, it picks up nicely after a slow start and I though the final section was great 

Spoiler

Darth Vader really comes across as incredibly powerful

However I did also get the sense that maybe quite a bit was cut from the game. 

Spoiler

Merrin is a great character (with a great voice actor) yet after she joins you she is just used as a deus ex machina. It seems a bit of a waste, and I wonder whether there was supposed to be more to it.

I never got on with the combat so turned it down to Story mode to get past the ninth sister and found it much more enjoyable, certainly I got my Jedi Power fantasy on, however it seems to me that it certainly had a lot of depth to it, so I'd imagine people who got into the Souls combat would be pleasantly surprised by it. I however was very glad to be able to alter the difficulty as there is no way I would have seen it through otherwise. Force pulling an enemy towards you and driving you saber through their guts never got old!

The thing is I think the Soulsborne stuff is the worst thing about the game, which I'm starting to really enjoy despite foibles. I don't think the environmental exploration aspect works that well with respawning at the last thing you happened to sit at. If you're just trying to get back to your ship you have to follow a shoddy map across massive, samey areas that are really easy to get lost in. You can spend 20 minutes making your way from one point to what you hope is the right place, only to get killed by an enemy and end up having to repeat the same platforming puzzles loads of times because you forgot to rest at every point you came across. Why do you have to do this? Because it's how Souls works. 

At least with Souls you're only really repeating combat, which in theory you're either getting better at through play or able to upgrade your lad due to XP. Repeating slightly shonky platforming bits and getting lost and having to repeat that just to get back to your ship isn't interesting. 

But the combat's great, and getting better and better as I unlock more stuff. It's a little clunky but since I stopped rolling around like it's Dark Souls and started just using the dash it's really clicked and in places I feel like a proper Jedi. The exploration is also brilliant the first time I'm going round. I didn't know I wanted Jedi Prince of Persia/Tomb Raider but it turns out it's ace. 

• Upvote 2

Lots of people seem to be finishing this. I've just completed Kashyyyk part 2 - how far in is that? I've still only got 4 planets and haven't touched Dathomir. 

The ponchos seem utterly pointless. The only skins I think are worth it are the BD-1 ones.

I like that when you're swimming, BD-1 stays on your shoulder but the crates bounce around, regardless.

Just now, HarryBizzle said:

Lots of people seem to be finishing this. I've just completed Kashyyyk part 2 - how far in is that? I've still only got 4 planets and haven't touched Dathomir. 

The ponchos seem utterly pointless. The only skins I think are worth it are the BD-1 ones.

I like that when you're swimming, BD-1 stays on your shoulder but the crates bounce around, regardless.

I like a poncho! 

I feel the force within it. 

And no-body can see...

4th biggest launch of the year in the UK (after FIFA, Modern Warfare and Pokemon) and doing well on Steam too.

• Upvote 3

I actually didn't find the map too bad! I wish you could move the viewpoint a bit more but I thought it did a pretty good job in general. Certainly I used it a lot to find out where I could go with it's nice green markings for places you could go through but hadn't yet.

• Upvote 2

I'm not finding the map too bad, either. It works better for exploring an area for the first time than it does for navigating an area you've already been through, admittedly. The gold icons are useful for finding new exits and shortcuts - it led me to a stim upgrade that I would otherwise have missed right underneath the Mantis on Bogota or Bodega or whatever it's called.

The Star Wars-ey names are a bit rubbish in this. The Zeffo is a truly crap name for an extinct alien species.

I am enjoying it enough to hope for a slightly more refined sequel. Regarding the mostly pointless chests they should definitely have made the outfit changes more distinct than a palette swap, even just altering the look of the poncho/base outfit or adding a little character to some of them would have helped justify hunting them down.

The lightsaber parts are very disappointing as cosmetic only, it's not even like every single part needs a modifier. It's hard to imagine unlocking a little perk for completing a set would totally break the game (5-10% damage boost, block increase etc). That said it absolutely looks like that may have been the plan (each named set has a version 1 and 2) so I guess benefit of the doubt they were maybe going to implement something like that and decided against it.

• Upvote 1