Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

I finished it earlier today. What an ending! Managed the boss fight in 4 or 5 goes. I'd say it's tough but once you know the patterns it's very doable. Some of the attacks are much better dodged by jumping than rolling, too.

Spoiler

I really like the way they wrapped it up, and the plot "not going anywhere" makes perfect sense in the context of what we know happens in the films and the sequence in which we see Cal and the kids being chased by the Empire.

It does just seem to add to the ever mounting evidence that the Jedi in general were a terrible mistake, though.

Some of my favourite screenshots:

Spoiler

IMG-0046.jpg

IMG-0051.jpg

IMG-0049.jpg

IMG-0050.jpg

IMG-0052.jpg

Started this last night and really enjoying. Finding the combat more like Nioh than Souls/Sekiro. How long has it taken folk to finish the game?

I've just

Spoiler

Rescued The Wookies :D

And now have a choice of where to go next. Map is a bit shit as others have said and I'm pretty sure I've missed a ton of shortcuts but still loving it

This has been excellent. There's a fair chunk of repetition, but the platforming and combat are pitched perfectly. One of the few games I've played this gen which I've had that, "get up early for a go before work" feeling about. No idea how far along I am but I've been playing for many hours now and the drip, drip of Jedi skills is helping to keep it continually fresh. The frame rate has been stable enough, but you can definitely tell some corners have been cut. A lot of the water you fall in isn't animated at all, there's a lot of clipping issues, where you can casually stroll through clumps of rocks etc. I've had one odd bug where new environments stopped streaming in, but other than that, it's been a blast.

51 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

Started this last night and really enjoying. Finding the combat more like Nioh than Souls/Sekiro. How long has it taken folk to finish the game?

I've just

Reveal hidden contents

Rescued The Wookies :D

And now have a choice of where to go next. Map is a bit shit as others have said and I'm pretty sure I've missed a ton of shortcuts but still loving it

You've a long way to go, that's fairly early on and it's a lengthy game.

I didn't count hours, but between 15-20?

It's a great game, though on PC the technical issues did rub some of the sheen off it. Having the framerate spike during fights is unfortunate, and it definitely had streaming issues at many points. Worse, since it's seen as a bit of a technical disasterpiece, I'm not sure if it's just my PC getting on a bit or if it'd be much the same on a higher spec machine.

13 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

You've a long way to go, that's fairly early on and it's a length game.

I didn't count hours, but between 15-20?

It's a great game, though on PC the technical issues did rub some of the sheen off it. Having the framerate spike during fights is unfortunate, and it definite had streaming issues at many points. Worse, since it's seen as a bit of a technical disasterpiece, I'm not sure if it's just my PC getting on a bit or if it'd be much the same on a higher spec machine.

Yeah getting some stuttering esp when arriving in new areas and some framerate drops when it's busy on screen with enemies. My PC is getting on a bit (i7 & RX 480) but still seems to be fine on the whole running on Epic settings. Glad to hear I've as long way to go though :)

Bizarrely, despite pretty much every Xbox game having stats in the game hub, this one doesn't. Not even play time. Really odd. I suspect it's about 15-20 hours as Kayin Amoh says.

CEX are still giving £40 cash for this. I think I'll probably sell it to them. I've got over 80% completion on every planet now and none of what I'm running into now is very compelling. I've also killed all the optional minibosses.

After about ten hours I’ve lost the will to play any more. This is a meticulously safe game that swerves risk and depth at every opportunity. It’s a melange of Arkham, Metroid, Uncharted and Souls but doesn’t understand or innovate on any of them. It’s Respawn’s worst game by a mile, though perfectly playable if loose and unpolished, and compromised by timescale and Disney guidelines no doubt. I understand why after Titanfall 1 and 2 they went for something exceedingly safe, but I’d like to see them try their hand at a third person action adventure without the shackles, or a first person Star Wars game riffing on Titanfall and Apex. This is overwhelmingly bland and unrefined, which is surprising for a studio known for pick up and play games with intricate deep mechanics lurking a couple of hours into the experience. 

On 21/11/2019 at 10:17, K said:

The combat in this needs better feedback for parrying, and for showing how close you or your opponent are to having their guard broken. It’s possibly just me, but I find it hard to tell when I’ve successfully parried someone, and the mechanics around whether you’ve knocked someone off-balance are a bit opaque. It’s not so bad with the cannon fodder enemies, but the one on one duels with Purge Troopers can feel a bit random on Jedi Master difficulty.

It’s odd that the combat in this clearly owes so much to Sekiro, given that Sekiro came out in March this year, and this has been in development since 2016. What was the combat like before March?

The major combat misstep when aping Souls in the Star Wars universe is having a dodge that doesn’t feel great and a jump that you’re actively punished for using in combat. They should get rid of the dodge completely and combine jumping and dodging into a system where you can jump sideways while locked on to avoid vertical attacks (think Zelda) but also jump diagonally or straight upward to avoid horizontal attacks. Then backward and forward to get in and out of melee range depending on the reach of the enemy. It would be way more “Jedi” and avoid the horrid clumsy feeling of trying to avoid so many of the unblockables. The Y/Triangle button functions all feel horrible and should simply be either a vertical or heavy attack with a proper combo system. More God Of War, less Soulslite. It’s a shame they didn’t steal the axe throw and let the player throw their lightsaber given that they borrowed so much from everything else.

2 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

It's a great game, though on PC the technical issues did rub some of the sheen off it. Having the framerate spike during fights is unfortunate, and it definitely had streaming issues at many points. Worse, since it's seen as a bit of a technical disasterpiece, I'm not sure if it's just my PC getting on a bit or if it'd be much the same on a higher spec machine.

It's your aging PC. It's fine on mine bar the odd hitch here and there. 

On my second playthrough I have collected everything. For those wondering, the max number in stims you can have is... 

Spoiler

You start off with 2, so thats 8 to collect. 

I love this game. Could be my Game of the Year, but I'm a Star Wars nutter. I see Moz's comments above, and while I disagree with some of it, there's no arguing that this is a safe game. It's Star Wars, exactly as we know it to be. For some, like me, that's perfection. But I can see why that doesn't work for others. 

I think it's probably the most enjoyable 2019 release I've played for sure. 

I actually picked up Battlefront 2 for around a fiver a few days ago as I was all in the mood to carry on with the Star Wars vibe I was on, and the single player in that is fucking appalling.

I mean, it looks absolutely beautiful - the detail and imagery going on are stunning, but as soon as you actually move or do anything it becomes the biggest pile of wank ever.

That soured the mood a bit, let me tell you.

I then spend a moment watching a little bit of Knights of the Old Republic and got really depressed with the thought that we're probably never going to see another game in that series :(

God damn Star Wars.

I'd say it's certainly safe and after Titanfall 2's incredibly imaginative campaign, I feel like this doesn't really do anything new like that did.

But it's the best Star Wars game since KOTOR, the combat is quite fun once you learn it properly, it generally looks lovely and I really enjoyed the story.

And that ending! What an ending.

Spoiler

Vader's ridiculous power is just awesome. Really puts into perspective what a weakling Cal is - even Cere makes him look like a twerp.

Looking back on the year, Astral Chain, Crackdown 3, Outer Worlds and this have probably been the highlights. None of them have been mind meltingly great but all pretty damn solid and this is possibly my favourite.

Still loving this too. Just had

Spoiler

Second fight with the 2nd sister, with the Cere revelation. 

Found it a very satisfying encounter. I’m enjoying the combat for what it’s worth, feel like I can rip through the popcorn enemies nicely but even they can put up a fight at times and the harder enemies are pretty decent fun. Playing on second hardest diff. 

Enjoying the balance of combat and exploration. 

I love the general art direction in all this n’all. Some of the best “Star Wars” I’ve seen. 

7 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

And that ending! What an ending.

Reveal hidden contents

Vader's ridiculous power is just awesome. Really puts into perspective what a weakling Cal is - even Cere makes him look like a twerp.

They nailed the Vadar cameo - he really did seem like someone who could annihilate you without thinking twice. It's nice that Respawn didn't fall into the trap of making their lead too strong for the universe.

28 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Are Cere Junda’s eyes meant to be like that or is this one of the game’s bugs?

That's what she looks like. Same appearance as in Wolfenstein New Colossus. 

If you're talking about how large and poppy they are!

She does have prominent eyes but they’re nowhere near as weird and lizard like as they are in this in New Colossus. Or real life. 

It’s really odd how once you complete the game it puts you back to before the final bit but you can’t replay it. Basically you have to replay the whole game to do that and there’s no NG+. 

Off it goes to CEX, then. 

Just finished this and it was really enjoyable. Got most stuff first time through so didn’t need to do too much backtracking. Could have done with about 3 more months in the oven to polish the combat and fix the performance and weird glitches though - the enemies dropping in static when you approach and then switching to animated after a sec really took you out of it. 

33 minutes ago, polygon_monkey said:

Just finished this and it was really enjoyable. Got most stuff first time through so didn’t need to do too much backtracking. Could have done with about 3 more months in the oven to polish the combat and fix the performance and weird glitches though - the enemies dropping in static when you approach and then switching to animated after a sec really took you out of it. 

Is that a console issue? I don't recall that happening on PC.