rllmuk
Ivanho

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Have we talked about how the Wookies look like your Dad bought a Star Wars Halloween outfit from amazon for £19.99? 

• Upvote 3

Yeah, that's been covered. Visually they're the worst aspect of the game. It's due to the lighting on the characters not being all that great, it makes the wookies in particular look really cartoony.

But imagine Ray Tracing on all that wookie hair. People would no longer ask 'can it run Crysis', instead it would be 'can it render a wookie?' ;)

They really overuse the sliding in this. I don't mind it so much when you're sliding down the side of a spaceship in the intro level, or where you slide down a river bank or something, but there's a bit on the second Kashyyk section where there's what amounts to several hundred metres of elevated sliding track that takes you a couple of minutes to go down, like you're at some extremely unsafe Italian theme park. I can just about buy the conveniently placed wallrunning planks and the organic pinball bumpers that auto-propel you to the nearest platform, but the Kashyyk 500 Speedway strains credibility.

For all that, this is still splendid. It does a really good job of being a more mainstream Soulsborne game - I did the Ninth Sister boss fight last night, and hugely enjoyed it, even though it only took me three or four goes. On Jedi Master difficulty, it's not oppressively hard and you make more or less constant progress, but you have to keep on your toes, and you really feel like you're getting more skilful and confident, in exactly the same way that the protagonist is. And once you've got plenty of force powers to mess around with, combat becomes extremely good fun, especially tormenting unlucky stormtroopers.

• Upvote 4

The sliding is definitely one of the worst things in the game and I can't help it's just a crap way of making levels flow in one direction only and mask the fact that the shortcuts and level design is nowhere near as intricate or clever as the Souls games.

• Upvote 2

I did think that the Soulsborne stuff works in terms of combat, but not in terms of structure. I don't think the game would be any worse for not having regenerating enemies, for example, and just having checkpoints that you restart at like any other game.

Some of the faces look very odd, whatsherface on the Mantis being one.

Also, is that actually

Spoiler

Forrest Whittaker

I've just got to

Ilum

How much further have I got to go? Really enjoying it but it feels like it should be coming to the end. 

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

Also, is that actually

Hide contents

Forrest Whittaker

According to imdb it is indeed him. It would have seemed peculiar to use his likeness but not have him actually voice the character.

49 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

It would have seemed peculiar to use his likeness but not have him actually voice the character.

I don't think it would, hjave you played Battlefront/Battlefront 2?

None of the heroes - which have the likeness - use the actual voice cast.

• Upvote 1

It's definitely 100% the actual actor. The studio that did the VO/mo-cap tweeted, post release, about how excited they were to have him there.

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

None of the heroes - which have the likeness - use the actual voice cast.

EDIT: Actually I was completely wrong here as he is a character that has appeared elsewhere. My bad.

That's slightly different as they are recognised characters who have been played by those actors. In this the character is new to this game. Additionally in this game ever other character is modelled on the voice actor playing them, because again they are new characters, with no precedent of being played by anyone else in other media. So it would be even more weird if they just decided to do the likeness of *redacted* without him being the voice actor.

We're on the razor edge of major spoilers here, can people be a bit more circumspect please?

Oh, is it the guy you meet on your first visit to Kashyyk? Sorry. Assumed everyone was talking about some unannounced mega-cameo from one of the main characters of the OT, or equivalent.

I got spoiled by Youtube.  Made the mistake of googling a question about the game, and then my Youtube feed became full of vids and spotted something I wish I hadn't :(

Fucking hell I am struggling with this. Never played a souls game, but the respawning mechanic is not my bag so far. Just got a bit relatively early on where a stormtrooper has a missile launcher. And every time the fucker gets me and I have a couple of minutes of dutifully trudging back through the same enemies, then dutifully being almost one shotted to death again as I’m surrounded by people with sticks. 

Argh, I really want to like this. It’s actual Star Wars lightsabering!! Can’t believe I’m this shit at it though. :(

• Upvote 1

They can be very annoying, but if you have force push you can push the missiles back at them. There’s also friendly fire so if you can get the troopers between you and him, he’ll take them out for you. 

This was incredibly useful towards the end of the game when I was fighting two purge troopers. 

Video of it (last level spoilers):

Spoiler

:lol:

• Upvote 1

@spanx if that’s the bit I think it is (rocket guy A little way away on a raised platform with normal stormtroopers and scouts closer to you) I did it by angling the camera so I could see the rocket guy’s red light as he was about to fire. That way I could concentrate on the closer guys until the red light showed, dodge away, and then carry on fighting. Then it’s just a case of dodging a rocket and sprinting to him to put your light sabre through his chest.

Things like that do get easier (and more fun!) later on once you’ve got more force powers. 

This is a rather flawed game. I don’t think it helps playing the X version, which is riddled with bugs and glitches for me. Nothing game breaking (though I’ve died a couple of times because of the camera jumping around at pivotal moments) but it sure does break the experience a little.

Also, the writing is a bit off. One of the characters, who’ve I’ve spoken to for a sum total of 10 minutes (probably less) claims that I’ve given him something to live for. I haven’t, I hate him.

• Upvote 1

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen such visual disparity in a game.

Some of it looks incredible but I’m playing it on an X which, by rights, should run like a dream but there’s texture pop in, stuttering frames and some of it looks last gen. Kashyyyk in particular.

Look at this.

7120FF71-5199-4732-96DC-91258E81E9DD.jpeg

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Strafe said:

Also, the writing is a bit off. One of the characters, who’ve I’ve spoken to for a sum total of 10 minutes (probably less) claims that I’ve given him something to live for. I haven’t, I hate him.

That bit confused me as well. It felt like there was at least one cutscene missing between the end of the second visit to Zeffo, and the end of the bit you do immediately afterwards. I had to look at the plot summary in the databank to really get what had happened.

And yeah, the second section of Kashyyk looks really rough. It reminded me of Too Human in places.

Is there a way of detecting enemies hiding behind walls? I’ll lock onto, say, a stormtrooper in the next room and when I walk through the door another one will jump out and batter me.

Despite all the technical issues (and that I even managed to force push a rat thing through a wall, somehow), clipping doesn’t seem to be an issue so I can’t tell they’re there.

That's a standard Dark Souls "fuck you" mechanic. You're not supposed to detect them (dead annoying, I assume every corner has a lurker!)

It’s cheap. And especially maddening considering how often Cal spouts off about feeling the force connecting everything around him. Amazed he survived the purge, to he honest.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Strafe said:

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen such visual disparity in a game.

Some of it looks incredible but I’m playing it on an X which, by rights, should run like a dream but there’s texture pop in, stuttering frames and some of it looks last gen. Kashyyyk in particular.

Look at this.

7120FF71-5199-4732-96DC-91258E81E9DD.jpeg

:lol:

Glad I played on PC. The only bad thing about Kashyyyk on PC really is the NPCs, specifically the wookies.