rllmuk
Ivanho

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

I enjoyed the hell out if it, but they really need to tighten the combat. Some cues on the non human enemies would be nice, a little more feedback as to when you've parried/blocked and a little more reactive controls. Some more moves etc.  would also be appreciated. Different light saber forms could work. 

1 hour ago, El Spatula said:

I enjoyed the hell out if it, but they really need to tighten the combat. Some cues on the non human enemies would be nice, a little more feedback as to when you've parried/blocked and a little more reactive controls. Some more moves etc.  would also be appreciated. Different light saber forms could work. 

Completely agree, brilliant when you're fighting ranged and melee enemies....much more weak against creatures.

Just now, merrychan said:

Also really hope this gets an EDGE alternative award for the most slides AND the most wall passages :D

Yeah, there's probably one or two more than needed quite honestly ;)

Bit of help please. I’m exploring the tombs early on...

Spoiler

My current objective has just switched to ‘Locate Tarful on Kashyyyk’ which indicates that, having done a fair bit of exploration, killed a few of the guardian things and gotten the force push skill now that I can leave and head back to the ship. However I can’t seem to find a way out back to the top. Hints keep saying that I have to find more balls. Do I have to complete this ducking annoying ball puzzle by doing all the wind stuff to get out?

Just finished this, and overall I really enjoyed it. But first, the downsides:

- The combat didn't feel tight. Cal responded too sluggishly.

- The small animals were generally more dangerous than the armed soldiers. And annoying.

- The frogs would often trap me in a corner that I couldn't roll or jump out of, and murder me.

- The lack of fast travel, at least back the Mantis. Some levels are so labyrinthine that it's just not fun remembering how to get back.

- The fact that the block button sometimes felt like it was there for decoration.

- "Stim, BD.", "Help me out, BD", "Stim.", "Give. me. a. fucking. stim. you. slow. fuck."

Now the good shit.

- It felt Star Warsy. Those huge, industrial facilities, sprawling jungles and leaps of faith felt just right.

- I'm on an old-ish PC, but seeing the translucency of Cal's hair in bright sunlight was a wow moment

- I did medium/standard difficulty, and it was a nice curve. I really don't have the time or inclination for relentlessly punishing games these days.

- When you've got a good flow going with your parkour and force powers, you get moments of feeling like a wee Jedi.

- There's some inventive use of force powers, and nice storytelling devices.

It's not too long, and feels like a nice side story. Well worth a punt for me. Though I don't think there's sufficient reason to go back for 100% except OCD.

• Upvote 4

Yeah I've just finished it and see zero reason to go back, the final fight was a huge difficulty spike for me on normal so I knocked it down to Story Mode.

Overall I really enjoyed it

The final fight is really odd. The boat has this move that you can’t really dodge using the dodge but jumping to the side does the trick. Basically the only enemy in the game that I used a jump against. 

The final boss fight only took me two goes, somehow.

I had the perk to top up force powers when you get a stim, and basically did most of my damage with lightsaber throws.

1 hour ago, schmojo said:

The final boss fight only took me two goes, somehow.

Reveal hidden contents

I had the perk to top up force powers when you get a stim, and basically did most of my damage with lightsaber throws.

Ah I think I must've only used that ability a handful of times.

I leant heavily on the..

Spoiler

Mega Split Lightsaber attack and the force pull plus stab

:)

On 24/12/2019 at 21:26, Thor said:

It's a very good game, and a fantastic Star Wars game. We haven't had a SW game this good since Jedi Outcast. 

I got a switch lite for chrimbo and have been sessioning the tits off Jedi Outcast over the holidays. Slightly janky controls aside, it's still brilliant. Worth a replay. 

• Upvote 1

I bought it on steam on the cheap, and am gonna download the VR mod. Might try that tomorrow actually. 

So after my whim sales purchase I've spent about 5 hours over a couple nights in the game... absolutely love it! :D

I found I took a little while for me to get into the story and 'click' with it, but last night it definitely did and I ended up playing until 2:30-3am ish just mooching around...

Spoiler

...the Ice Caves and Crashed Venator Star Destroyer on Zeffo...

... just 'because I could'. I'd already completed the main quest objective and was heading back to the ship, found the side path and off I went. I only turned it off after checking the time and realising I had to be up with my toddler at 7am or I probably would have played all night. It's very very moreish.

Difficulty wise I'm playing on normal and I'm pretty happy with the level of challenge. I've had a few frustrating moments but they are mostly down to me not thinking Dark Soulsy enough about the combat and rushing in being a bit button mashy and expecting to win. There is also a big boy I met somewhere early on which I'm going to come back to later as I'm pretty sure he isn't meant for me yet as he instakills me at the moment :blink2:

Actual mechanics wise... as has been mentioned it could do with being a bit tighter. The comparisons with things like Uncharted/Tomb Raider for traversal, and Dark Souls/Bloodborne for the combat are well founded, and each of those games do their thing just that little bit better in my opinion... however it is still a good experience and let's face it... none of them have lightsabers! 

My biggest gripe is I wish the mob/crowd control combat was a bit more fluid. I'm finding it hard to successfully move between targets to keep several enemies at bay at once and instead now usually resort to running around avoiding people to take out the weakest enemies and whittling it down to go one vs one with the main target. That may get easier as I'm starting to unlock more of the force powers,  but it would be nice to be able to feel like you can genuinely just saber fight 3-4 guys at once successfully.

As has been said though it feels properly 'Star Wars' which I'm really enjoying, and I'm looking forward to jumping back in again later to continue my journey.

The little musical stings that play as you're exploring in this are perfect. Pure Star Wars.

13 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Re: my previous comment about crowd control...

Reveal hidden contents

Just found the double-bladed saber so think that might help! :omg:

It's very very good when under fire from multiple targets, that's the only time I used it

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, merrychan said:

It's very very good when under fire from multiple targets, that's the only time I used it

Yeah, seems good defensively. I've also found it useful for groups of supporting normal stormtroopers. For example...

Spoiler

...on the rooftop finale of the first run through Kashyyyk when fighting the flame troopers, security droid, AT-ST and trooper squad reinforcements (and guys on the wall around the side firing in on you) at the same time. I used the double until just the droid and AT-ST were left and then switch back to single to finish them off.

Nearly finished this now (I assume) and don't really want it to end.

I'm just at the

Spoiler

Temple on Dathomir for the second time, got my new [purple] split lightsaber from Ilum, and have said goodbye to my old Master [sniff]. Assume just a boss fight or two to go.

So, yeah, love the traversal (once you unlock everything), the worlds are lovely (despite some shoddy technical issues on X1X), the story is really well told and performed, and I like the combat, especially fighting the Imps.

The 

Spoiler

Nightbrothers with their glowing green batons

can fucking do one though - a right PITA to fight when there's more than one.

Overall, up there with Death Stranding for my GOTY.

@jonamok 

Spoiler

When faced with two or more night brothers, force pull one to you then either dispatch with a lightsaber or throw off the nearest cliff (there's always one nearby on dathomir!) 

And finished. My GOTY by a mile. What a fantastic game. And genuinely the best Star Wars entertainment in god knows how long.

Bravo Respawn. I don’t really understand how this didn’t rate higher, any minor gripes fade next to the quality of the story, writing, performances, world-building, music and sound design, and (once you skill up) traversal and combat.

Fucking loved it.

ENDING SPOILER!!

Spoiler

Genuinely took a deep breath when you know who arrived at the end. That was fucking amazing and terrifying.

Just so, so good. Highly, highly recommended.

• Upvote 4

I know the game has been out for a couple of months but the latest ads for it are terribly spoilerific. 

Spoiler

Showing Cal igniting a double bladed lightsaber, fighting the ninth sister and Vader is a bit much for a trailer for a story based game.

• Upvote 1

Agreed. That’s stupid, but I guess its sales have peaked so that might sell a few more copies.

Yeah, the advert annoyed me.  I was spoiled by Youtube videos (fucking spoilery video thumbnails) and I'd specifically told my Son (who is playing it now) to avoid doing any searches on Youtube so that the videos don't show on his feed; but now this advert has started showing anyway which he's likely to see :(

Really hoping for some DLC soon, and a sequel down the road.  I really loved this game, and I'm finding gameplay sessions with other games quite empty.  I might go back and try for some of the achievements and to play through the levels again.  I've collected all the chests, secrets and databank entries so there isn't much content for me to consume any more, but some of the achievements look like fun.  It's rare for me to be such a completionist, I don't think I've done it with any games before.