rllmuk
Ivanho

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

31 minutes ago, jonamok said:

It’s a game about long-ago space wizards. Lean into it.

Yeah, but it's not a Star Wars thing. Like I said, I could buy it if it was Doctor Who. 

2 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Yeah, but it's not a Star Wars thing. Like I said, I could buy it if it was Doctor Who. 

There is a bit of this kind of space/portal weirdness in the Rebels series as it happens (again with Jedi Temples). Also this is totally deliberate level design and explained in the game later on.

If you walk through from the other side you just move through the gap normally, whereas going in the ‘right way’ takes you through to the different place.

If it annoys then that’s fair enough, but it does fit in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

If there's an explanation later in the game, then fair enough. It just seemed a bit out of place when I got there. 

4 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

If there's an explanation later in the game, then fair enough. It just seemed a bit out of place when I got there. 

I hear you, I was a bit ‘eh?’ at the time too. :) Trust me though, all the levels are laid out as they should be, even with some later bits having quite a lot of ‘separation’ between sections where they could easily cheat, however they still are all mapped out and link together as they should.

Inspired to go back to the post-game clean up after watching the making of docu, I realised I had ‘completed’ my missions on Zeffo with only 71% discovered. Crazy some of the amazing architecture and scenery I had completely bypassed. This game :wub:

• Upvote 2

Just finished watching the documentaries myself. Currently running around Zeffo trying the “Jedi Grand Master” difficulty setting to see if it’s worth considering a full run through.

So (obviously with all the moves/powers) I managed to do a full loop around clearing out...

Spoiler

Zeffo village, cliffs, pulverisers, ice caves and back to the Mantis again.

...without saving or dying. In fact biggest health loss was from the stupid sliding section handling/controls!

Feels like it would be more soulsy and definitely more punishing but doable, probably some massive spikes along the way (read: controller throwing moments). Hmmm... tempted.

Anyone else doing/done a Grand Master level play through? How have you found it? Worth the effort?

The only thing I’m thinking of is I still have Sekiro to try and from what I’ve read that will probably give me all the taxing combat challenges I need on its own.

30 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

The only thing I’m thinking of is I still have Sekiro to try and from what I’ve read that will probably give me all the taxing combat challenges I need on its own.

It will. That game was too frustratingly hard for its own good. I traded it in after coming across a boss that was just utterly fucking infuriating. 

All the best. :coffee:

• Empathy 1

My fashion Jedi is similar to yours:

Spoiler

Obligatory Windu-Purple Double-ender, with a similarly patterned poncho, but mine is pinky-purple too.

I wish I’d found the 

Spoiler

orange rebel fighter pilot poncho earlier, as I’d been rocking the western style sandy poncho for most of the game. I shouldn’t have raced through the story as I’m learning techniques in my roaming about playthrough that I should have been using - like hacking the probe droids and then force pulling them over to enemies and watching the kick off ensue.

I've been playing this on Grandmaster difficulty, feels like a Souls game so I figured I'd set the difficulty to match, only had trouble with 

Spoiler

The 9th Sister

But fine so far apart from a few rage moments with that fight :)
Just having a bit of a relaxing jaunt around mopping up the bits I've missed on the other planets and topping up the skill points (just a couple of points left to get) before heading off to continue the story on 

Spoiler

Dathromir (I did go there early on so have cleared a little already when I got the saber upgrade)

Overall I wasn't fussed to start with but it's absolutely grown on me and now I'm massively enjoying it  being a bit more powered up, combat in this is just great fun combining abilities and experimenting, I'll be sad when I 1000G this and there is no more to do

Spoiler

Or is there a NG+?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, mechamonkey said:

Reveal hidden contents

Or is there a NG+?

Nope :(

I did the 1000G on the normal difficulty and decided to go back in on Grand Master to extend the experience. I've done the first couple of areas but have decided to park it for now and have a break as I found myself just trying to rush through it. I'll go back and do any DLC if/when it comes out and then finish the GM run then rather than it being so fresh in the mind still.

Been playing this with a friend (we're taking turns to play) and really not enjoying it. In fairness I don't like Star Wars, metroidvanias or Dark Souls so it's not got a lot going for me (I didn't know it wasn't linear). It's so long, too, we've just broken out of the prison but are still less than halfway? Should probably stop really.

Finished this last night and overall, it's a good, fun game but not one without some annoying flaws.

Pros:

It's aesthetically fantastic and absolutely nails the looks, sounds and feels of the Star Wars universe. 

I'm a big fan of both The Clone Wars and Rebels TV series and the nods to both are awesome. Dathomir in particular was a great inclusion - the Nightsisters were very familiar to me. Well worth seeking out that particular story arc in Clone Wars if you haven't already.

Combat feels brilliant once you've unlocked enough moves/abilities. 

BD is adorable and I want one.

The story is excellent - much better than expected, well paced, the characters introduced are very strong with the 2nd Sister being my highlight.

Cons:

I really grew tired of generic and unsatisfying platforming sections. The sliding parts are a pain in the arse, the map wasn't great and something just felt a bit off with general exploration. 

Lego games aside, I've never really been a fan of sections that you can't access until you've levelled up. The way the game requires you to return after unlocking x/y/z frustrated me somewhat. I didn't think the level design was enticing enough to return unless it was necessary to progress.

The lack of fast travel back to the Mantis was infuriating when you're right at the other end of a map! 

I'd like to think that any prospective sequel will iron out some of these issues. I felt that if you took away the Star Wars element, there wouldn't be enough to recommend this as there are no gaming aspects that make it stand out from other games of its genre.

BUT - I'm a massive Star Wars nerd, so the fact it looks, sounds and feels so good means that I enjoyed my journey and whilst I probably won't go back until some DLC arrives, it filled a much needed Star Wars shaped gap in my games collection.

It's not quite the SW game I've been praying for since KOTOR but it's still decent enough. 

7 on 10, Sonja. 

• Upvote 4

Finished this tonight, really enjoyed it (played through on Grand Master).
Sadly a couple of achievements were bugged and wouldn't unlock which annoyed me greatly. Got all the others though.

Spoiler

Legendary Beasts (Killed them all and got their entries for the other achievements) and The Holocron Awaits (unmissable story achievement)

I don't think I've seen it mentioned but later on when tootling round looking for collectables and levelling up (I had 16 unused skill points at the end after unocking everything....) I got a very Metroid Prime vibe wandering around using my newfound traversal etc to explore environments.
I am keen for more to be honest.

Also bloody fantastic last section <3

Jolly Good / 10 

• Upvote 3

What difficulty is recommended please? I’ve played lots of Souls games, which I understand is similar combat to this. Thanks.

13 minutes ago, DC said:

What difficulty is recommended please? I’ve played lots of Souls games, which I understand is similar combat to this. Thanks.

I've been playing it on the third one up (one above 'normal') and it's been about perfect for me. I certainly wouldn't start on the default if you're into 'Souls.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, DC said:

I played on normal and died a few times when careless but it's not too bad. I felt it made the story pacing work well and I'm not sure if getting totally stuck on something with this one would just detract from the narrative experience a bit.

If you really want a Souls style difficulty challenge though I'd go right up to Grand Master and see how you get on. I'll caveat that though that I don't think the combat system gives you quite enough feedback and can feel a bit fuzzy at times compared to a From game so it may hinder the enjoyment a little bit. However I've replayed the first third on the top difficulty and it is beatable if you like that type of gameplay.

You can also change the difficulty mid game anyway if it doesn't suit you can back it off a bit.

Enjoy.

• Upvote 1

I played on Master and it was just right for me. It'll give you a challenge at points but shouldn't be too frustrating. It seems to be the most balanced option too based on the settings it shows you.

• Upvote 2

Loving this game, but those yellow/orange Nightbrother enemies on Dathomir are really fucking annoying. The hard to kill melee ones crowd around you while the archers pepper you with laser fire, which when you try to deflect it back at them turns out to be a rocket instead.

Just now, Trumpets said:

Loving this game, but those yellow/orange Nightbrother enemies on Dathomir are really fucking annoying. The hard to kill melee ones crowd around you while the archers pepper you with laser fire, which when you try to deflect it back at them turns out to be a rocket instead.

They're actually easy if you have upgraded force pull.

And done! An excellent game from start to finish; good combat; good characters and several big (sometimes massive) environments that were fun to explore.

At the risk of damning it with faint praise, it's probably the best Star Wars related product since Disney got their hands on it.

• Upvote 5

Looks like Respawn are recruiting for what sounds like a sequel (this was back in December but I've only just seen it).

https://www.pcgamesn.com/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order/sequel

Also the recent EA shareholder report mentioned that it has exceeded it's 8m target already (it was set as 6-8m by end of the financial year) and they are looking how best to engage that unexpectedly large player base (e.g. DLC or sequel) or do more single-player experiences in the Star Wars universe.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-01-31-star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-beat-ea-expectations-by-selling-8m-copies

Give me X-Wing Alliance 2 please! :sealclap:

• Upvote 2

I assumed there were DLC plans already in motion, due to the big, missing planet sized hole on the navigation screen. Is that not the case?

Eurogamer reporting it has exceeded EAs expectations so that gives some good hope for a sequel and maybe (whisper it) some other single player Star Wars content?

As reported above. Ignore the dimwit who can't read!

Edited by Ran