Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Ivanho

Just finished this and it's fine I guess. It does have that Star Wars feel, and returning blaster bolts with my lightsabre is probably the highlight of the combat mechanics. I didn't like the level design, and having to return through the entire level to get back to your ship is a chore rather than enjoying more combat. Didn't get all collectables during my playthrough and I have no urge to go back and get them.

If a sequel came out I definitely wouldn't buy it at launch, would wait until it came down in price. Having more planets and smaller levels could help.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Not experienced motion sickness but the game gets really juddery at times, particularly during some cutscenes - thought it had crashed at one point, I am playing on a PS4 Slim mind. I mean it’s fairly infrequent but it’s quite bad when it happens. Would be interested to hear how it runs on Xbox Series S/X and PS5.

Rock solid 60fps on series x in performance mode. 

I'm with you @pinholestar. I loved it and think it is fantastically 'Star Wars' with bags of the feels I want from that experience. BD-1 is just awesome (hence why I spend time and money on a custom Lego build of him for my desk mascot), and while I thought the Kal was a little wooden, the wider Star Wars world around it was very well imagined and executed, with some absolutely perfect sound design to enhance that. 

There were a few janky bits (the sliding segments are terrible), and the combat could have been a little tighter, but I found it to be a nicely challenging but ultimately fun game that you could dial in the difficulty to suit your skill but still keep momentum and pace with the story. The mash up of Dark Souls lite meets Metroid meet Tomb Raider really worked for me and I thought it was a bit of a triumph to be honest. Also the sequel will be phenomenal once they have refined it a bit more. Day one for me.

Associated gushing a few pages back when I completed it... link 

On 08/01/2020 at 23:46, FiveFootNinja said:

Now someone please go make me an equal quality follow-up to X-Wing Alliance!

Ha, just read that post back. Strictly speaking not 100% accurate, but this aged pretty well given Squadrons wasn't a thing when I wrote it. Good job EA finally using that ridiculously expensive IP you bought properly!

It’s great from what I’ve played so far and it’s good to see Respawn try something new.

I’m playing it on EA Play, but did it sell well? I’d love them to do a sequel with everything they’ve learnt from this one, but with a massive budget. Get it really polished up.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

It’s great from what I’ve played so far and it’s good to see Respawn try something new.

I’m playing it on EA Play, but did it sell well? I’d love them to do a sequel with everything they’ve learnt from this one, but with a massive budget. Get it really polished up.

It had sold over 10 million by March this year, so did very well indeed and exceeded EA's expectations. A sequel is almost certainly in development as we speak and I'd imagine will be given a bigger budget as a result.

18 minutes ago, JPL said:

It was the best-selling game in the US the past year after CoD.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order/sales-numbers?amp

6 hours ago, Iain said:

Just finished this and it's fine I guess. It does have that Star Wars feel, and returning blaster bolts with my lightsabre is probably the highlight of the combat mechanics. I didn't like the level design, and having to return through the entire level to get back to your ship is a chore rather than enjoying more combat. Didn't get all collectables during my playthrough and I have no urge to go back and get them.

If a sequel came out I definitely wouldn't buy it at launch, would wait until it came down in price. Having more planets and smaller levels could help.

I agree with a lot of this. I went back to it a few months back for a 2nd play through but gave up after a few short sessions.

By no means a bad game but I can't shake the feeling that if it wasnt so well polished and 'Star Wars-y', I very much doubt I would have bothered with it.

I just hope that they take some of the good ideas to build from if and when they do a sequel.

I think it just gets better and better the more I play. People have been begging for a proper Tomb Raider for years and well this is the closest to one I’ve seen, only with lightsabers and The Empire, what’s not to love right? 

There are a few things, the sliding jumpy bits feel inexact but then that kind of more analogue approach to the platforming does serve up many benefits as well; your jumps don’t feel as predetermined and everything isn’t on rails as much as Tomb Raider or Uncharted, so whilst it can seem amorphous or irregular it also feels like you are actually in control and could fall off things - the challenge is more rewarding in that sense. 

The level design and the tombs are flippin’ excellent, some of the puzzles are real head scratchers too - there’s just this real organic approach to it that I admire, only really Breath of The Wild’s give me that same sense of ‘eureka’ moments as this (recently anyway, reminds me of Sands of Time too).

Also I don’t get the complaints about backtracking to your ship - perhaps this happens more later on (I’m like two Tombs in I think) but so far I’ve always taken detours or something’s happened to interrupt the journey back - quite dramatically so sometimes. I mean it’s a Metroidvania so backtracking and returning with new powers and so on is part and parcel of the genre, but I never feel like the levels get boring they’re always expanding and offering up new routes or new areas. 

I think it’s one of the best Star Wars games I’ve played, the artistic direction is spot on with some really impressive scenery and architecture - you know, all those games influenced by Star Wars and this one actually is the real deal and it is does not disappoint - the tone, the pallet, all the little details, excellent. A great single player Star Wars adventure is something we’ve craved for a long time and well, here it is. 

And dat saber noise :wub:

Completed it last night, my overall impression is still pretty much that I enjoyed it all the way through - some sections were exceptional, one side quest in particular I found as good if not better than anything on the critical path, but I do have a few criticisms. 

The first two tombs are the only ones with any real puzzling and they’re done and dusted really in the first half of the game - I would have liked much more of that kind of exploration and puzzling mixed with platforming, that’s what the game does best. 

The combat I found became less enjoyable towards the end of the game or in any boss fights - I just didn’t find it robust enough or easy enough to read to be able to get the most out of it, towards the end whenever I knew there was a boss fight I’d turn the difficulty down to story mode just to get it over with as I found them a bit of a slog - it was just too hard to read parries or whatever and I found myself button mashing way too often, which you can’t really do in boss fights. Also the difference between Jedi Knight and Story was challenging versus comically easy, perhaps they needed another setting in between. I also would have liked more use of force powers during fights, using scenery, debris etc. The force meter just goes down too quickly too and when your heavy attacks rely on it they become fairly useless as a result, 

The last section had insta kills for falling off scenery and fail states for QTE type bits which wasn’t present during the rest of the game, I just found it interrupted the flow of that section and took away from the peril and excitement, the lengthy loading didn’t help either (thank god for SSD!)

But overall I really enjoyed it, hope they do more with the hacking battle droids thing in a sequel as that was a lot of fun, it could be like the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor. But yeah it was great, just needed one or two more proper tombs to equal the first two and sharper more expanded combat - and I think that’s achievable for a sequel. There’s no reason this couldn’t be more like Dark Souls in which you could choose what type of fight/force user you prefer. 

Must have enjoyed it as I completed it in under a week which these days is unheard of for me. 

I finished it on Sunday and I agree with all of that. As a massive Star Wars nerd it absolutely nailed the feeling of simply being in that galaxy. And the story turned out to be pretty good and very well told, especially with the many flashbacks and then near the end

Spoiler

the vision of the possible future told through static scenes that you walk through was up there with the best "force vision" moments from the films.

I was a bit disappointed that after

Spoiler

recruiting Merrin, she didn't do much in the rest of the story. I kept expecting her to appear, e.g. during the final battle, but she never did!

I think that's more of a set up for the inevitable sequel, which is now my most anticipated game.

My other half is playing this now, or Star Wars: The Legend of Titan Souls Control Raider, as I’ve taken to calling it. 

Despite all that it’s really great fun. The look and feel is spot on - the scale is incredible. Yes it borrows from other titles, but it emulates those influences very well. 

Very impressed. Looking forward to trying it myself, if I’m ever allowed (let’s just say I’ve rediscovered my Switch since he started playing Fallen Order).

• 3 weeks later...

I picked this up in the PSN sale and I really want to like it but it just has too many annoyances so far.

Playing it on a base PS4 probably wasn't the best idea, I've just had a cutscene after landing on a planet that kept stalling as the audio continued unaffected which was a surprise because the game doesn't look like it's pushing the PS4 that hard. The main crew are kind of boring and it's also missing things I'd expect in this type of game like quick travel points which have been mentioned previously in the thread are a big oversite and the main character now automatically grabbing climbable objects which means I've fallen to my death plenty of times because every other game of this type seems to do it. How long it takes to open a chest for what is usually a pointless cosmetic is annoying as well. 

On the positive side it completely nails the Star Wars vibe and it's nice not to have a pointless hub area with dull NPCs like Shadow of the Tomb Raider and there's no weekly challenges or other pointless online components to worry about like UbiSoft games have now. I'm going to keep playing but having to find your way to start of the level each time is always going to be annoying. 

2 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I picked this up in the PSN sale and I really want to like it but it just has too many annoyances so far.

Playing it on a base PS4 probably wasn't the best idea, I've just had a cutscene after landing on a planet that kept stalling as the audio continued unaffected which was a surprise because the game doesn't look like it's pushing the PS4 that hard. The main crew are kind of boring and it's also missing things I'd expect in this type of game like quick travel points which have been mentioned previously in the thread are a big oversite and the main character now automatically grabbing climbable objects which means I've fallen to my death plenty of times because every other game of this type seems to do it. How long it takes to open a chest for what is usually a pointless cosmetic is annoying as well. 

On the positive side it completely nails the Star Wars vibe and it's nice not to have a pointless hub area with dull NPCs like Shadow of the Tomb Raider and there's no weekly challenges or other pointless online components to worry about like UbiSoft games have now. I'm going to keep playing but having to find your way to start of the level each time is always going to be annoying. 

If you're enjoying the feel of it but finding it a bit dumb/glitchy I'd keep going. The game honestly gets better and more Star Warsy the further you get through it. The lack of being able to travel back to the ship never stops being annoying, though!

All your points are totally valid, it varies from being beautiful to janky all the time. There is an option in settings (which I don’t remember being there at the start) to have Cal auto-cling to climbable surfaces which might help?

I’ve just finished my second play through. The first time I was playing it as Star Wars Uncharted and I found it really frustrating. This time (after some gaming education) I played it as Star Wars Dark Souls and got on with it better. 

59 minutes ago, Fargo said:

This feels so much better playing on a series x in performance mode. The more solid 60fps makes such a difference. 

I started playing now that my partner got frustrated and gave up. It must be my old man eyes but I literally cannot tell the difference between HD and 4K here. Possibly the freckles on the main character’s face are sharper when viewing the character model in the menu system? That’s the only thing I can spot. 

Performance mode, on the other hand, is night and day. It’s very slick and I agree completely, it’s the better way to play.

Maybe my TV isn’t set up properly - it’s a Philips and it doesn’t display the output resolution, but the Xbox does detect UHD and will be outputting correctly - I can only assume what’s being displayed is 4K!

Anyway, I’m playing on Jedi Master difficulty and it is very much Dark (Side) Souls. Chopping off monster arms or splitting them in two with a Lightsabre is very satisfying and fun. 

I went the opposite way preferring 4k. Probably as I'm playing on a big monitor with my nose to the screen.

The difference was mostly just extra freckles and fabric of clothes. But I think it added a lot. It looking that nice really pushed me through some of the crap bits to get to the next cutscene. 

Same with Yakuza Like A Dragon. There isn't much to the graphics in general, but the costume detail on higher res looks great. Really pops. 

2 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

All your points are totally valid, it varies from being beautiful to janky all the time. There is an option in settings (which I don’t remember being there at the start) to have Cal auto-cling to climbable surfaces which might help?

Thanks I'll have a look for it. I'm playing it on normal and despite being three planets in I'm still getting jumped by animals coming out of the ground, I'm going to keep playing it, I bought it as my Christmas game and I intend to finish it even if I have to drop it down to Story mode to get past any difficult encounters. 

There's a certain knack to that fight isn't there? Something like, you smack both the wings, then hit the head for massive damage, and any attempt to defeat it in any other way either takes a lifetime or gets you quickly killed? Feels like a lifetime ago I played this.

On 21/12/2020 at 14:08, womblingfree said:

I was enjoying romping through this but have been stuck on the giant bat for months.

Drop it down to story mode for the boss fights. Life’s too short and the combat in this isn’t up to it.