Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Just now, shirubagan said:

Cheers. I might press on but it feels like a bad Tomb Raider right now. 

It's a very good Star Wars game, and a pretty decent Tomb Raider. 

Oh, another thing that was clearly supposed to be something but just is...erm...nothing is the whole issue of the lightsabre customisation. There's bloody loads of stuff you can faff about with on this, with literally no use to it whatsoever. It must have been a gameplay design originally and then scrapped, surely?

I had to delete it, it looked lovely but I didn't realize I'd be restarting jumping from rope to sliding ice to jumping gaps and other nonsense that the camera made impossible at times. Thought it would be a rpg. 

Star Wars games have a terrible batting average. 

10 hours ago, JoeK said:

Oh, another thing that was clearly supposed to be something but just is...erm...nothing is the whole issue of the lightsabre customisation. There's bloody loads of stuff you can faff about with on this, with literally no use to it whatsoever. It must have been a gameplay design originally and then scrapped, surely?

I figured it was just fan service. It's not like cosmetics aren't a big part of modern gaming.

11 hours ago, shirubagan said:

I downloaded this on Game Pass and I’m trying to like it, but it’s really boring. Does it get better after the first grassy area where you’re heading toward the tower?

I quit the game for a couple of months at that bit. When I came back and got past it I enjoyed it a lot more. It's the worst area in the game. 

I completed it last night, and agree with @JoeKthat nothing in the game lives up to the intro. Overall though it was pretty solid 7/10.

12 hours ago, shirubagan said:

It’s more of a decent Tomb Raider mixed with a decent Souls-like, slathered with a Star Wars gooey topping.

I loved it, more than the sum of its parts, the combat in particular. 

I finished this recently. Wouldn’t be the type of game I usually go for but I thought it had a very good story. Played it on Jedi Knight which was challenging enough for me. Never really loved the combat but I did enjoy my play through.

The opening is amazing. First planet is a bit dud but the later levels are really good.

5 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:

Better than that last shambles of a Tomb Raider game. 

The lowest of bars. :lol:

I'm tempted to buy this on either Epic or Steam stores, it's £17.49 on both. Previously I'd just subbed to Origin for it.

edit: Annual sub to EA Play is currently £19.99 on Steam. Subbed! Game is downloading now. :)

On 13/02/2021 at 04:55, SaintM said:

I didn't dig the combat in this, but sticking it into 'story mode' and playing through was entertaining enough. 

Does that negate the tedious puzzle aspects? I was actually enjoying the story. The wheels kinda came off the first time I had to lookup a video for how to get past these massive moving pistons that slammed into the mountain side. Couple of planets in. The ice jumping quasi QTEs around there eventually made me quit and delete. 

On 12/02/2021 at 23:08, shirubagan said:

The level design is pretty awful. Lots of backtracking and confusion. Be warned. 

I got this a while back but it sat in the unplayed pile like everything else. My son (7 years old) is now playing through and I'm helping him here and there. Lots of fun and great to look at. I'm not sure it feels very much like Star Wars but we are enjoying it all the same.

I’m in two minds about this. I’ve just arrived at the third planet, although it was suggested by the lady on the spaceship (can’t remember her name) that I go and explore a planet that I’ve already visited. At the very beginning I was enjoying it, but it’s starting to feel like work rather than play. I’ll stick with it for the moment,  but I’m not really enjoying it anymore. It’s odd, wielding a lightsabre doesn’t feel special.

On 12/02/2021 at 22:10, Thor said:

It's a very good Star Wars game, and a pretty decent Tomb Raider. 

I thought this as well.  Would love to see them have a go at the Tomb Raider licence.

5 hours ago, skondo said:

I’m in two minds about this. I’m just arrived at the third planet, although it was suggested by the lady on the spaceship (can’t remember her name) that I go and explore a planet that I’ve already visited. At the very beginning I was enjoying it, but it’s starting to feel like work rather than play. I’ll stick with it for the moment,  but I’m not really enjoying it anymore. It’s odd, wielding a lightsabre doesn’t feel special.

Yes, it's repetitive and my sense of direction is awful so we do tend to get lost a lot!

As I posted previously my boy loves it. Slashing away at baddies and doing parkour all over the place! 

This looks and plays fantastically on Series X after the latest patch. It basically runs 60fps in performance mode while looking better than Quality mode before the update. I am glad I let this one cook. It is a weird game... but Respawn did a good job. A mix of Dark Souls, Tomb Raider and Titanfall with a bit of Metroid Prime thrown in. Hope they will still release a sequel before they lose the license (or will they keep it as Disney seems to follow the Disney Plus strategy of having 30 Star Wars spin-off series coming out, so why not do the same with games and recover some of that lost revenue from the theme parks). 

On 14/02/2021 at 23:48, womblingfree said:

However, every hour or two it decides to be Dark Souls and at that point the fun grinds to a halt.

I agree. I rather have them mirror Uncharted/Tomb Raider games more closely and focus on the exploration with some Metroid Prime influences thrown in for good measure (it is a sci-fi setting after all). Uncharted in Space would be perfect, I believe this is what Amy Hennig was after before they killed the project. 

• 1 month later...

Just finished the story. It's only taken me a year! 

IS it me or does it just...end...?! Even the climatic final battle doesn't feel that climatic or final and the final cut scene felt like it was going to 

Spoiler

Be a dream or hallucination due to Cal drowning.

Enjoyable but the definition of a solid 7 / 10.