IGNORED

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Ivanho

Does the next-gen release include any graphical settings like a Performance Mode?

Yes, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order’s next generation release does include the return of two graphical settings on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5, which can be turned On/Off at the player’s preference:

Performance Mode (ON) - 1440p Resolution at 60 FPS
Performance Mode (OFF) - 4K Resolution at 30 FPS
Note: There is no graphical setting on Xbox Series S, as performance is locked at 1080p/60FPS.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm not very far in yet but this is quite lovely on PS5 so far. As usual, I toyed briefly with the quality graphics mode and then reached the same conclusion as I have every other time: I have been completely spoiled by 60fps and 30fps is forever more a juddery mess, and I just don't care about the marginally improved shadows or whatever in comparison.

It was a relief to get past the brief introduction which is an utterly awful piece of videogamey nonsense - sure, as part of their daily maintenance duties, they tightrope walk along girders thousands of feet in the air above some tentacled space monster just to fix a jammed valve. It even undermines the subsequent action sequence quite a bit, because your daring escape from the inquisitors is actually less death-defying than the day job was. I didn't so much mind the shorthand they were using to get to the interesting bit, with the instinctive use of powers quickly revealing the main character's secret, but it was a terribly clumsy implementation.

The atmosphere is top notch in any case, which goes a very long way to smooth over some of those misjudgements. I've always been a complete sucker for the action oriented Star Wars titles, going all the way back to Dark Forces II, and I don't get the impression that this will buck that trend.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/11/2021 at 21:29, hmm said:

I'm not very far in yet but this is quite lovely on PS5 so far.

Well, two weeks later or so and that's the platinum so I guess I liked it!

I was enjoying it even from the start but I thought that it pretty much continuously improved all the way through as you gained more powers. I would have to say that they judged the rate at which these are offered quite badly though. Many of the minor frustrations with the environment navigation and the combat were alleviated as you acquired abilities: double jump and force pull for navigation and things like the double lightsaber overhead strike and force push for the combat. It's fine to hold things back, of course, but I think more of the abilities should have come earlier, with it being more in the way of upgrades later. I definitely did feel very powerful by the end, and I guess that may have been magnified by the slow progression, but I would have preferred to have played more of the game as a more fully fledged Jedi.

But all that said, I had a great time overall. The game evokes the films brilliantly. There are lots of easy shortcuts to achieve that - just play the floating probe droid's audio to me and I'm immediately transported to that universe - but I think they get almost everything right on this front. Even all the bits they've invented fit in very well and BD-1 is a great companion, following in the grand tradition of Star Wars droids. And it's such a welcome change to have an AI buddy that stays entirely out of the way, only hopping down to offer you a collectible hint here and there, and just bleeps pleasantly at you occasionally rather than continually waffling on with plot exposition and supposedly hilarious banter.

It sounds like there'll be a sequel - maybe this time next year? - and I'd definitely welcome more in a similar vein. There are some aspects that should change and they need to sack whoever put all the sliding sections in but if they can pull off anything like the improvement between Titanfall 1 and 2 then it could be something truly special.

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

If they tidy up some of the niggles and possibly add some little towns and what not this could be GOAT! 

This, the first game I loved but everything felt a bit barren and obviously a lot of locations had been abandoned and the like but I really enjoyed it, the combat, the story could be fleshed out into something great for this game. I'm surprised it has been kept quiet until now if it is real.

I am entirely up for this. Replaying Tales from the Galaxy's Edge on Oculus has reminded me how much I love spending time in the universe. And this game nailed it.

Not looking forward to finding out how I lose all my mad jedi skills after the first sequence though.

Just finished this the other day. Took a while to hook me but once I understood what it was going for in terms of level design and combat I had a good time.

Only complaint / stuff I'd like to see improved for a sequel are

- maybe better loot beyond just skins (and I have to wonder if that might have been the original intent)

- bit more/deeper rpg-lite skill unlocks/upgrades

- tangible pros/cons to sabre parts

- I spent the whole game wishing there was a combat training mode on the ship or something for convenient practice....so imagine my surprise when that unlocked at the END!

• 1 month later...

Really got into this now. Spent the last few hours going from planet to planet mopping up all chests and secrets and map percentages. Clock says 27 hours so far. Not bad since I’m sure I got it for under a tenner using ms points. Anyhoo, finally got the mystery doodad so let’s go open a crypt :)

And done. Got all databank, maps, échos etc aside from two in the bloody last level which it apparently won’t let me reenter. Bah!!! 

Still, very enjoyable and I’ll probably look to mop up the last few achievements before starting on the next game on my list.