rllmuk
Ivanho

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

3 hours ago, Broker said:

I mean, if what you’re aiming for is a rip off of Uncharted, maybe Naughty Dog. Or if you can’t get them maybe hire someone who used to work there?

Well, Amy Hennig was working on the Visceral Star Wars game which got cancelled.

Indeed, cancelled by EA in favour of this PS2 Prince of Persia looking shite. 

Yeah, but it's not what I'm looking for triple A studios to be producing now. Prince of Persia SOT was a completely believable world for the PS2 era, with the limitations it had. This looks like a bland walk through a series of corridoors and up the occasional wall because of modern context. I imagine if they's shown me this gameplay with worse graphics fifteen years ago I would have been really excited, just like if they showed me the exact gameplay from SOT now with better graphics I'd be disappointed.

Yeah there's nothing to get especially excited about, but even though it's not by the same team at Respawn who made Titanfall I hope some of their DNA still manages to find its way in there. 

I applauded when I saw Tie Fighters!

Bored after watching two minutes of gameplay. Looks fine, and probably much more engaging to play, but if I’ve learned anything the last few years it’s I don’t really like Star Wars as much as I used to.

• Empathy 1

52 minutes ago, Broker said:

Indeed, cancelled by EA in favour of this PS2 Prince of Persia looking shite. 

Check out the Game Informer article.  It is their July cover story.  Definitely not PoP.

It's impressive to see how far enemy AI has progressed in the nearly 20 years since HALO: Combat Evolved released. Just look at the stunning "run at the enemy or wait your turn to fight" routine used at this point in the video:

I thought it looked good, but after god knows how many years, Disney putting Star Wars back into cinemas on a regular basis and various USPs releasing quite unreal single player experiences coupled with the fact this is fucking Star Wars, I was hoping for a bit more than 'good'.

I liked The Force Unleashed but I really wanted more than what looks like a reboot.

A note from the game director:

Revealing gameplay is always a little nerve-wracking, even more so when considering our goal of delivering 25 minutes of hands-on footage, not to mention the little point that this is the latest Star Wars™ game.

In scope and expectations, this is by far the biggest E3 demo I have ever worked on.  

Looking back a week later, the response has been amazing and informative.  We are incredibly humbled by your support and are dedicated (more than ever), to make this game as great as it can be!

We spent months going back and forth discussing the best strategy to release this content, and ultimately decided for the first-look, it was critical to present a focused 15 minutes of raw, in-game footage highlighting lightsaber gameplay that speaks to the Jedi fantasy in an empowering way. But it should not be mistaken that our combat is overpowered or easy.  I promise there is considerable challenge and depth to be found within our combat system. The same can be said about our approach to level design, which is crafted in a non-linear way with heavy influences from games like Metroid, Castlevania, and the Soulsseries.  The game will feature several planets that the player can elect to travel to via starship.  On these worlds unique abilities and upgrades can be found that open up new paths across other planets, making retraversal an essential part of the gameplay experience.  This is a lot to describe in 15 minutes of gameplay. Getting hands on the full 25 minute experience is best to completely understand it.

With that said, we invited some press to play the game at E3, offering hands on for the full 25 minute demo. From these previews, I think it’s safe to say that the game isn’t as easy as it looks and our thoughts internally about the game “feeling good” are closer to being validated.  But we are not done yet, and are continually play testing to ensure the game challenges even the most skilled player, while not alienating those who want to take a more casual approach. And, maybe most importantly, we also want to make sure that the game is delivering on the core promise of becoming a Jedi.

Last but not least, we would like to share the full demo video with all of you.  The top of the demo showcases a hand-crafted sequence we refer to internally as a Star Wars™ moment. Midway through look out for a small peek into our planet hopping system, an example of an upgrade/acquire, as well as our Metroid inspired map (in action).  We sincerely hope you enjoy!

We’re excited to enter the final stage of game development: shipping this game. There is no doubt a lot of work ahead of us, but I have a ton of confidence in our team. We’ve only shown a fraction of the game, and we’re looking forward to sharing more in the coming months.

• Upvote 2

It looks OK. The wallrunning and general leaping around don't look anywhere near as fluid or satisfying as they should, given that it's from the developer of Titanfall 2, and that they're clearly going for a kind of Sekiro / Bloodborne vibe with the combat. It looks more like Deck13 made a Star Wars game than something From would do, but for all that, I am a sucker for Star Wars, and some of the combat - specifically the bit where the player had to fight a miniboss while managing various adds - looks like it could be quite satisfying.

• Upvote 1

Have EA got a picture of Disney getting a BJ from a hooker or something? Years of average as fuck titles with no depth, which do the brand nothing but a disservice, let alone make you feel part of the universe. 

This is the franchise that spawned KOTOR, X-Wing and Tie-Fighter for fucks sake.

“Please believe us that although the demo we chose to show to introduce our game looks linear and like the combat is shite, the game is definitely non linear and the combat is great. No excuses for the incredibly bland character or terrible animations yet.”

Flicked through that vid and had to turn off during that spider fight. Fuck me. Hes holding a Lightsaber, a weapon that can cut through doors, flesh and bone, yet he had to hit that Spider 12 times to kill it?

Shite. No thanks. WIll stick to BF2.

Such a common mistake, eh? All those marketing people, designers, executives agreeing to show the most bland and boring gameplay of a game, only then to make a post about it to tell us that the game has nothing to do with what they showed.

Makes you wonder how people keep their jobs in the industry with all those fuckups. ;)

Well it’s an EA game, so you can bet any really good ideas the team had will have been sanded off with the patented EA blandifier.

It looks like a game that should have come out towards the end of the last generation, it's awfully dated looking. I'm sure it will be fine but Christ I expect more from Star Wars. 

I really dislike the main character and the way his head moves as though he's got a stiff neck from sleeping funny.

22 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Have EA got a picture of Disney getting a BJ from a hooker or something? Years of average as fuck titles with no depth, which do the brand nothing but a disservice, let alone make you feel part of the universe. 

This is the franchise that spawned KOTOR, X-Wing and Tie-Fighter for fucks sake.

No, but they did obtain the license to make Star Wars games for 10 years back in 2013. So we are all stuck waiting until 2023 before we can realistically hope for a decent SW game again.

• Empathy 1

The continued chorus of disapproval of this confuses me.

Looks like the Star Wars meets Uncharted game we’ve been repeatedly promised and as those are two of my favourite things I’m still hyped.

Then again I really enjoyed both the Force Unleashed games so I guess others mileage may vary.

Anyway still day one here...

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

4 hours ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Best game I played at E3. 

Yeah seen a few other journos say this actually. 

Seems like what the director is saying might have some truth to it. 

I'm equally confused by the unrelenting  negativity. They've made three well loved games that EA has basically let them do as they want with, even going so far as letting them release Apex in the way they did, but you wouldn't know it from this thread. 

The Eurogamer piece about this new press release also had this:

Having watched the gameplay demo and played the game, I was surprised at the depth of the combat mechanics under the surface (they're solid even if they're not yet perfect) - but also that the Metroidvania elements were not initially shown to the public.

I'd be very surprised if Respawn release a dull game. The bit about being able to return to planets and unlock previously locked off areas definitely has me interested. 

It's not the same Respawn who did Titanfall though, is it? I thought this was a new team with the same name. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I'm equally confused by the unrelenting  negativity. They've made three well loved games that EA has basically let them do as they want with, even going so far as letting them release Apex in the way they did, but you wouldn't know it from this thread. 

The Eurogamer piece about this new press release also had this:

I'd be very surprised if Respawn release a dull game. The bit about being able to return to planets and unlock previously locked off areas definitely has me interested. 

People can only comment on what the majority had seen, and that was mostly very linear platforming circa Uncharted 1 with a smattering of Dark Souls type melee combat, some bland character design and janky animation. It wasn't really evident, at all, that it would be played like  a Metroid game.

I don't think people are being negative, they're just going on what they've seen.

As a Star Wars fan, having an average to above average game with the license added on has historically elevated those games to being favourites, and I fully expect this to do the same.

The force unleashed games were fun, but utter nonsense.  Completely out of kilter with what Star Wars is about, they were just wish fulfilment.  As third person action games they were bang average, but the fact they had lightsabers, force powers and star wars music elevated them.

Fallen Order looks like they recognise people want more of that narrative driven third person action adventure experience, but they are now putting together something with a much better story that crucially fits coherently within canon, while also ensuring the gameplay is sound if not groundbreaking.

The idea that you'll ever get a Star Wars game as niche and challenging as a Souls game is fanciful.

Enjoy it for what it will no doubt be, a polished and solid game that uses only tried and tested mechanics.

Boundaries can and will be pushed elsewhere in the industry.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

People can only comment on what the majority had seen, and that was mostly very linear platforming circa Uncharted 1 with a smattering of Dark Souls type melee combat, some bland character design and janky animation. It wasn't really evident, at all, that it would be played like  a Metroid game.

I don't think people are being negative, they're just going on what they've seen.

I think the footage looked pretty dull as well, but “you can bet any good ideas have been sanded off by EA” seems a bit more than just commenting on what we’ve seen. 

Yeah I totally get the response to it, the EA Play demo didn't sell it well at all. It was only hands-on for judges I think which was also a mistake, it meant that the vast majority of the coverage the game got was people going 'ehh' at the hands-off demo they had at EA Play.

Respawn have never made a bad game. EA have no idea what they're doing when it comes to marketing, and particularly when it comes to something like this (singleplayer, no bullet-point features, no real-world superstars to wheel out). 

And yes, it's not the same Respawn team that made Titanfall, but everything that's good about that studio comes from Zampella, he sets the tone for the whole place. And they've built a very good team for it.

• Upvote 2