IGNORED

What is your comfort game?

gospvg

What game do you keep going back to?

My son goes back to Rocket League.

My daughter fires up the 360 to play Skate 3.

I’m in a gaming lull at the moment but I don’t have a comfort game.

I’ve been thinking I should go buy fifa, I’ve not played since 16.

What is your comfort game? Maybe I can get some ideas.

Interesting thread. I don't really have one right now. Over the years it has been rocket league, Dota 2, FIFA, championship manager, heroes of might and magic. The closest thing I have at the moment is Pokémon go but without being out and about, it doesn't really work that way.

I was hung over yesterday and I would normally comfort game while hung over but vegetated watching Netflix instead which is very unlike me.

I actively withdrew myself from fifa and rocket league because I was becoming noticeably agitated by them. Dota 2 I just kinda stopped playing, championship manager I hated when they made the transition to the match engine, about the same time as the transition to football manager.

Maybe I'll find a new comfort game soon.

4 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Diablo III. It's just effortless gaming for the most part. Punching skeletons out of demons is cathartic as hell and the gameplay loop will probably never get old. It hasn't yet.

I've been thinking that this is kind of game I need. Relatively simple input, entertaining output without too much effort or brain power.

Maybe Wario Ware? Admittedly the higher speeds can get manic, but to me it’s pure distilled gaming fun and I can’t imagine being without a copy for too long. My personal preference is the GBA original, but pretty much any game in the series guarantees a fun time.

At the risk of being predictable I’ll give an honourable mention to Persona 4 - it’s comforting in its familiarity; in the way that I’m tuned in to so many aspects and have confidence in carving through the game. Even though there’s so much optional stuff I can and will miss, the in-game calendar events create a special sense of familiarity when revisiting Inaba.

Just now, moosegrinder said:

Diablo III. It's just effortless gaming for the most part. Punching skeletons out of demons is cathartic as hell and the gameplay loop will probably never get old. It hasn't yet.

I was just about to post the exact same thing. Diablo III for me too. 

The sound of legendaries dropping never fails to make me smile. Seeing huge numbers fly all over the place. It’s just my go to happy game. 

Rocket League - I like to listen to LBC radio while I play

GTA V - Despite the criticisms of the game, no one puts together open world cities like Rockstar, I just love walking around to see what I can find.  This game could do with a hero's path system like BOTW.

Skate 3 is a great shout.  That's definitely one of mine, but currently I just load up Elder Scrolls Online and potter about for an hour or so.  There's so much to do in that game, you can choose something challenging or just a random collect-em-up quest, or just do some woodworking or whatever.  I find it massively relaxing.

30 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Maybe Wario Ware? Admittedly the higher speeds can get manic, but to me it’s pure distilled gaming fun and I can’t imagine being without a copy for too long. My personal preference is the GBA original, but pretty much any game in the series guarantees a fun time.

At the risk of being predictable I’ll give an honourable mention to Persona 4 - it’s comforting in its familiarity; in the way that I’m tuned in to so many aspects and have confidence in carving through the game. Even though there’s so much optional stuff I can and will miss, the in-game calendar events create a special sense of familiarity when revisiting Inaba.

I came to post Wario Ware as well. I by no means play it as compulsively as I did when it was newer, but the fact that I bought it on Wii U Virtual Console and received Gold on the 3DS for Christmas there means it’s a game / series that I’ve always been able to fire up and enjoy for a very long time.

F-Zero X used to be one, but I’ve not had my N64 hooked up for about 12 years. I heard the Virtual Console emulation was a little off so never bothered with it at the time.

Playing the yu-gi-oh card game online, specially 2005 goat format games on dueling book. Very relaxing game for me. You won't catch me playing modern yugioh online however people are way too rude, angry and desperate to win.

Another vote for Diablo 3. I went back to it on pc this weekend and just got a season 16 monk upto 70. Just got to finish the season journey for the free gear set and fancy wings and then the real grind can begin :wub:

CS:GO and Warframe. Shocking, I know. The former especially feels like the definition of coming home. I've been playing that franchise for almost two decades now! The maps, the aesthetics, weapons, movement... everything about it just feels comfortable and cosy. Can't get enough! :)

Mass Effect trilogy for the sheer ongoing delight of playing them and the numerous opportunities for FemShep to punch annoying NPCs.  Half Life 2 and classic Final Fantasy games have much the same effect.

Forza Horizon games for the odd hour when you don't really feel up to anything more mentally taxing.

Baldurs Gate on the tablet because it's always right there beside you and so easy to start rolling another character and scoot round the first few maps.

2 hours ago, BeeJay said:

I've been thinking that this is kind of game I need. Relatively simple input, entertaining output without too much effort or brain power.

Path of Exile is out on PS4 soon (and free)...

Just now, Timmo said:

Path of Exile is out on PS4 soon (and free)...

PoE is a good shout too. I briefly played it on PC, way, way back and couldn't get in to it. I'll give it another try when it comes to PS4.