What is your comfort game?

gospvg

Something in the Forza series at the mo. I always feel the need to progress in those, though. So it's not really chilled, comfort gaming.

Terraria has been a constant for a while. I can just bimble about in that. Do a bit of digging, craft something. Just not really do a lot.

What has been there forever is Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe. I be had it installed on my PC for literally decades and can always fire it up, do something of nothing for a while and feel like it was time we spent.

I don't really feel the need to comfort game very often, but on the rare occasion where I just want a game to wash over me I'll generally turn to either Shenmue (wandering its quiet suburbs and main with the people just going about their business remains incredibly warm and relaxing), or I'll go discover a planet in Noctis (which remains more evocative than No Man's Sky, largely thanks to its incredibly lo-fi, imagination-triggering graphics).

Probably BotW for me. There's just something about the world that makes it simultaneously relaxing & interesting to just wander about. No matter what, something in view always piques your interest & before you know it you've set off towards another way point.

On mobile, it would be 7 Words or Wordscapes.

3 hours ago, BeeJay said:

I've been thinking that this is kind of game I need. Relatively simple input, entertaining output without too much effort or brain power.

You should. There's a tiny investment to understand the loop and get your character past the early game doldrums but you'll pick it up quick enough. It polished as hell and incredibly satisfying to play.

I admittedly haven't played either of them for quite a while now, but Hearts of Iron 3 and Europe Universalis 4 (both with various user mods). The games let you set your own goals (EU4 moreso, of course, though HoI3 with no fixed end date let's you do whatever you want within a WW2-flavoured wrapper). The great soundtracks help immensely, they do create some wonderfully epic, stirring alongside more subtle, chord-inspired melodies - they are very relaxing.

I have a few different 'mood' games.

Comfort game - default to throw on: UFC 3, fire it up, have a few fights, short bursts each time. Never have to worry about some time away with other people levelling up as standard playing field each time. Tactical, strategic, brilliant.

Listen to music/netflix/podcast games - varies, but has to be something that doesn't really require much or any sound, and I can occasionally look away from. Hot lapping/time trials on Driveclub, GT Sport fall into this category. Dragon Quest Builders was good for this too (although I did quite enjoy the music on that). 

Monkey Island 2 and Day of the Tentacle for chilling out and feeling nostalgic. If I’m off work feeling sick I normally play one of these.

LotR: Shadow of Mordor for the fighting system. Probably my favourite game this gen. 

It used to be Destiny + podcasts. 

Destiny 2 I would say is my go to, but I’m not into it like I was D1. 

Now I like watching people play PUBG on YouTube, although console players are my preference. 

Dark Souls 2. I hope when I die I end up in Majula with my wife and cats and family and mates. Just have barbecues every day and play heads and volleys. Occasionally go for a swim in Heide's Tower of Flame. Have a ride on the pirate ship in No Man's Wharf. Play kiss chase with The Pursuer. Then I can come back and rinse and repeat. 

Streets of Rage 2. Whenever I'm sat on the dashboard of a console or desktop of my PC at a total loose end, paralyzed by the choice offered by the preposterous number of games available to me, I will load up Streets of Rage 2 and play one continue of it on Hardest, which usually sees me through to the end of the game unless I mess up.. Mania is a bit too stressful for a relaxing playthrough but Hardest hits the spot perfectly. The music, the SFX, the fact that I know it like the back of my hand, the waves of nostalgia from my Mega Drive days. It is truly my happy place.

Viva Pinata was up there too, though Trouble in Paradise spoiled it a bit by adding slightly more stressful elements to it like having to pay off Professor Pester to stop him smashing my favourite Pinatas.

Minecraft. I'm not even very good at it and I'm certainly not imaginative enough to build really thrilling stuff, but I endlessly play survival mode's first few hours, usually up until the point where I build a nice base and a little farm and then die down some godforsaken pit and lose all my stuff.