rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Ninja Doctor

Retro Game Club - March ‘19: Link’s Awakening

Would anyone be interested in a retro game club where we choose a game a month, I reckon 16 bit era or earlier and we do a play and discussion? I’ve seen some reddit type clubs but a bit bemused we don’t have such a thing here. 

Who’s up for it and what shall we play this Month? I reckon emulation/og hardware choice up to you (better than having a dozen middle aged nerds all bidding on the same eBay auctions). 

• Upvote 3

Sweet. Looking for game recommendations. I was thinking Link’s Awakening with the news of the switch remake (and I have a cart coming from eBay). Any other suggestions?

Over at Retro Asylum we have a Retro Games Club each month. This month we are playing Popeye the arcade game, I’m currently leading with a high score of 49150.

• Upvote 1

Cool. Emulation or whatever, there’s no real stipulations. I don’t know what rules to have about story spoilers for those types of games, maybe just a bit of common sense. Shall we say Links Awakening for March unless someone else has a better suggestion. I’m thinking also a new thread each month rather than make this one of those mega threads (unless this dies  a death). 

I've got this largely unplayed on 3DS as well as a cart in storage somewhere, so I'm in.

I think shorter games of a more pick-up-and-player nature might be better for this thread, though.  Playing Zelda is quite a time commitment.  I think the thread might be more interesting with games that people remember but haven't played in ages, so how well they hold up today is still uncertain.  Whereas nobody is in doubt as to Link's Awakening's quality.

But either way, I'm on board.

• Upvote 1

I try to play through at least one retro game a month. Did Aladdin & Quackshot last month and this month professor layton and hopefully will be starting Another World shortly (if anyone is interested).

So my cart arrived yesterday. My battery came today along with a gameboy pocket from eBay and a gameboy color for @Mr Do 71 (again, I feel like I’ve massively underpaid for that) 

tomorrow I’ll dig out my gamebits and do the battery swap. 

9 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

So my cart arrived yesterday. My battery came today along with a gameboy pocket from eBay and a gameboy color for @Mr Do 71 (again, I feel like I’ve massively underpaid for that) 

tomorrow I’ll dig out my gamebits and do the battery swap. 

Send me another £20 then. ;)

So gamebits found, battery installed and it has saved!

i briefly chatted with Marin, grabbed my shield then headed to the beach to get my sword. Sword get and save. If the save dies then at least I haven’t lost too much time. I’m playing the non Dx version on the gameboy color. The limited colorised palette is actually quite ugly. I think a simple greyscale would look better. 

Paid. 

Now. I went to the mystery forest. Some dumb as raccoon screwed up the map. I found a mushroom, got some powder. He’s getting it. 

• Upvote 1

I've never played this before. I only had 6 games for my GameBoy: Pokémon Blue, Pokemon Gold, Tetris, Super Mario Land, Castlevania Adventure and Gremlins 2.

Anyway I've put RetroArch on my phone and am playing it that way. I've got the DX version, is the only difference being that it had a colour palette for the GBC?

Screenshot_20190309_175421_com.retroarch.thumb.jpg.c7ae46d92109010856b8a71d8a273f24.jpg

I've just found a mushroom and gave it to the witch who gave me some powder which I've thrown at the raccoon and got the Tail Key.

Yeah. DX has a ‘full’ colour palette mode on the gameboy color but can also run in greyscale on the original. The non DX version has a much more limited palette on the color. Just one set for sprites and another for background. 

The DX cart was however too expensive for me so I’m playing the original in 8 colour glory. 

Completed the tail cave, got to go to the swamp now but moblins! 

I very nearly bought a Gameboy Color earlier. Someone outbid me at the last moment! I do have an original "chewing gum coloured brick" Gameboy but last time I put some batteries in it it wouldn't switch on :(

Not sure where it is now 

Playing this via flash cart on an original Game Boy.  To my shame, it's a game I've played many times and for many hours over the years, but have never finished.  What always strikes me is just how clever it is in its map design.  They've worked magic with such limited hardware.  It looks great, the music and writing are charming to this day, and it's actually pretty fiendish.  I've done the first dungeon, taken Bow Wow to Bottle Grotto and beaten the mid-boss for the power bracelet, but have called it a day there for now because I was finding it a little bit of a mind-bender.  I'm pretty sure I know what I've missed when I go back to it.  Lovely game.

• Upvote 1

I've reached Bottle Grotto today and done the mid boss there. Really enjoying it, it's such a clever little game, it feels huge even though I've mostly revisited the same spots 

Cracking on with this. Bottle Grotto flummoxed me because I’d missed a key early on, but I had a good idea of where it was, boss was no problem.  Easier than the first one, in fact. Since then I’ve returned Bow Wow, been to see Richard at his slime key holiday residence, done the errands to get bananas for the monkey, got Richards leaves and now I’m ready to do the slime key dungeon.  Tres bien. 

• Upvote 1

So up for this, one of the most special games that I've inexplicably never finished. Can't believe you haven't mentioned this, Nate!

DX on n3DS for me.

I appear to be playing through at the same rate as Nate.

I had a bit more of a play last night. Bottle grotto again with a missed key so I didn’t go in the room with the compass. Took a few attempts on the boss for my shame but after getting the next instrument on to the prairie. 

But first a trip to the castle to find some good leaves. Good job I already had some bananas with me. Gold leaves get and then save for another night. 

On 08/03/2019 at 14:50, Ninja Doctor said:

So gamebits found, battery installed and it has saved!

i briefly chatted with Marin, grabbed my shield then headed to the beach to get my sword. Sword get and save. If the save dies then at least I haven’t lost too much time. I’m playing the non Dx version on the gameboy color. The limited colorised palette is actually quite ugly. I think a simple greyscale would look better. 

You can change the palette a GBC (and GBA) uses for original GB titles by holding a combination of buttons as you power on.

https://imgur.com/jZUXMp2

3 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

Can't believe you haven't mentioned this, Nate!

Please forgive me. I promise to tell you every single thing I'm up to from now on, dear.

Edit - sorry, mistook you for my wife due to your incessant whining.

• Upvote 3

Apology accepted. If you get stuck on any of the reading I'm always on the other end of the phone. 

princess-peach-a-visual-history-20101214

• Upvote 1

Been a little distracted over the last week, so only started this earlier today, chucked the ROM onto the Switch and am playing through RetroArch, only pottering through the first dungeon so far but it's not grabbed me properly yet, I have fond memories of playing through it years ago, so hopefully after a few more hours I'll get back in the swing of things.

3 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

chucked the ROM onto the Switch and am playing through RetroArch,

Is RetroArch one of the later dungeons?  I haven't found the ROM yet, do you need to beat a mini-boss to get it, like the power bracelet?  Whereabouts is the switch?