rllmuk
gospvg

After Life - Ricky Gervais

On 14/03/2019 at 11:33, JPickford said:

Managed one episode.  Contrived shite.

We all appreciate the extensive review. Well done?

• Upvote 2

I watched all episodes and enjoyed aspects of it, that said  I can see why someone would call it contrived shite. It's a fair review IMO.

Binged through this - thought it was excellent; found myself laughing through teary eyes a lot of the time, as I found bits genuinely sad. I did feel his turnaround was a bit rushed, and thought maybe one more episode to make that aspect slightly more gradual might have helped with that.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jammy said:

Binged through this - thought it was excellent; found myself laughing through teary eyes a lot of the time, as I found bits genuinely sad. I did feel his turnaround was a bit rushed, and thought maybe one more episode to make that aspect slightly more gradual might have helped with that.

Agree with this. Watched the last episode last night and it did feel a bit rushed. Definitely a weak ending. But I thought this was a really excellent series overall.

On 19/03/2019 at 01:51, Jammy said:

I watched this all in one afternoon yesterday. I thought I'd watch the first episode and, as is often with Netflix, I don't bother watching the rest but I enjoyed the first episode so much that I ended up watching it from start to finish.

RE: the rushed ending. I don't think it was. I'll spoiler why.

The features of local interest stories he was writing included people who changed his outlook very subtly. Old man gets five birthday cards the same - then goes on to reveal his wife had died but to remain positive. Man who has a watermark that looks like Kenneth Brannagh reveals his wife was attacked with a hammer. The local lunatic reveals that his grief was a result of a marriage breakdown.  The harsh reality that he might not be able to see his nephew is the final straw that changes his outlook.  

I laughed a lot - the breast milk lady was a stand out moment and the interactions with his father were sad but really quite funny too. The treatment of alzheimer's was handled well. It's a horrible, horrible condition but it can also make you laugh. 

After Life made me cry too. I've had a long and tiring week and it was actually quite cathartic to cry and laugh watching this. It touched me and although a lot of the characters were just caricatures (Postman Pat), it had a central message throughout and managed to handle grief and loss carefully - it was an emotional comedy and Gervais is marmite but the best of Gervais was within this.  I've not seen Derek at all and I enjoyed Life Is Short but I've been a Gervais fan since he was on the 11 O'Clock Show on Channel 4 (1998) and I've obviously watched The Office. This was the best thing he's done since The Office.

The drug addict character and that storyline was the only jarring thing for me but perhaps I just misunderstood it. 

• Upvote 7

10 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I laughed a lot - the breast milk lady was a stand out moment

Ha, yeah, that was excellent. I actually remember him telling that story on Jonathan Ross about a hundred years ago about a mate of his who moved to the countryside and was offered some by his new neighbour.

Stuck season two on for something easy to watch having enjoyed season one... it’s utter tosh.

A couple of funny moments (all in the trailer) drowned out by a complete reliance on the repetition of Tony missing his wife. You know the whole thing in season one that he slowly came around to accepting? Forget all that progress, because the character has.

Think the scene that tipped it into twaddle is...

... Tony takes Sandy out for a coffee because she’s feeling down on her 30th, and it quickly becomes yet another chance for Tony to explain how much he’s missing his wife, instead of making a friend / colleague feel better 

It’s Gervais’ laziest’ most self-indulgent writing in years. A mildly poignant series about grief has essentially become the TV equivalent of a ‘U OK hun?’ social media post.

• Upvote 3

I didn't watch the trailer.

Only two episodes in, I like it. It's just as over the top  'mushy' as before and just like before I really don't enjoy all the 'wife' segments of which there seems to be at LEAST a handful in each episode. Awful. The 'mushy' stuff with the sex worker and woman on bench however, I find quite sweet. Maybe I'm getting old.

Outside of that however, I generally find it quite enjoyable with a few amazing lines here and there. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, how he could have been so in love with someone so utterly fucking irritating is baffling. 

I'm with you though Capwn, I find it generally pretty sweet and low-key and the gags usually hit the target for me. Granny saying 'cunts' had me rolling but my bar is pretty low at the moment. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Yeah, how he could have been so in love with someone so utterly fucking irritating is baffling. 

I'm with you though Capwn, I find it generally pretty sweet and low-key and the gags usually hit the target for me. Granny saying 'cunts' had me rolling but my bar is pretty low at the moment. 

The granny scene was too overplayed, there are a few lines where she is moaning about people and being morbid and it's great but then oddly she just keeps swearing and saying the C word. Felt too forced. 

Just finished season two, now I’d like a hug. :(

He does have rather convenient videos of his wife to match what’s going on.  But it was still enjoyable.  I don’t really know how to describe what it is, it’s like sad while smiling.  

If he makes a third season that dogs deffo a goner. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Thematically I think "Groundhog Day" (mentioned in the show a few times) is what it felt like watching series 2. Every episode seemed to play out in exactly the same way, scene for scene with slightly different content. 

It has a really good set of characters, but any further development in their direction is quickly pulled back into the orbit of the main characters problems. Sandy's character especially was showing promise, only for it to be brutally cut dead in the tea room, true also of Diane Morgans character. 

The main character is a parable to what happens when you have no hobbies, interests or friends. I think series 3 should be out of the question. 

I welcome more of Paul Kaye though, in well just about anything really.

• Upvote 1

Not about this show,  but I thought the last Gervais stand-up special was indefensibly bad. He’s always tried to have his cake and eat it too by saying things that are widely considered unacceptable, then peddling back at the end of the gag or alternatively heaving something outrageous at the end of a serious topic so as to diffuse it. Wasn’t the Holocaust bad? Something about Anne Frank’s dad having a wank. I know, I know... *sips can of Carling looking smug*.

All the Caitlin Jenner material was so leaden and awful. Like, what was the point of it? Seemed to me he enjoyed being known to have pissed off someone famous and them knowing who he was – which is his entire MO in America – and finding a trans person with just enough dirt to wade into that subject with the get out clause that they’d smashed their car up or some shit. Just seemed so superficial and pointless. 

He’s always been one to bang on about how anything can be funny and has somehow managed to get in front of every single huge American comedian and discuss this at length. It’s almost certain to come up in every interview he does. The difference is that someone like Dave Chapelle is one of the most skilful comics on earth who can riff on most things and take an audience with him. Gervais does stand-up as a hobby and is bloody dreadful. I think he has some really nasty opinions but dresses them up in sarcasm – the coward’s lie. 

• Upvote 4

This is an odd one. I found parts of it affecting and funny but it didn't quite hang together as well as the first series. In fact, some of it jarred and grated. In particular, the footage of his dead wife intruded rather than framed the experience.

I think the first series had that strong central idea - that his grief gave him a super power to say what he wanted to everyone - and this series sorely missed something similar glueing it together. englishbob makes a good point about the 'Groundhog Day' element perhaps giving it some thematic structure but if this was intended it wasn't fully committed to.

As an ensemble piece it was as good as anything I've watched recently and I thought his dad (David Bradley) and the psychiatrist (Phil Kaye) were the standout performers.

Gobbled it up in two nights. Good stuff.

I thought it was brilliant - some parts really made me laugh yet the very next scene could be incredibly moving.  It can't be easy to write a show like this and manage to get the balance right but I think he's managed that.

I don't quite get the problem with the Groundhog Day element being a problem - with all the other characters, their lives are changing and things are happening for them (which is good writing IMO), but Tony's life just seems to have ground to a halt due to his grieving.  The difference in this season is his attempts to be kinder to those around him, all part of his healing process.

I think it's his best work since The Office.

• Upvote 3

Maybe I'm dead inside but I just don't find it moving at all ... Just seems like a vehicle for Gervais's humanist worldview (and I say this as a humanist myself). Up to ep 4 of the new season and don't think I've properly lol'd once, either. But it is moderately entertaining.

Despite the "just be nice to people" theme I actually find some of it a bit unnecessarily nasty and not just because the character is meant to be an arsehole ... The way he was nasty to the yoga/meditation guy just because he has a cold and keeps sniffing, for example. I get it that Gervais is very sceptical of anything or anyone "spiritual' but it wasn't even the spiritual aspect of the character he's mocking, it was just the fact he had the sniffles. 

I found it very emotional and hard to keep the tears at bay. I've lost five relatives in the last few years but my sister's husband was a shock as he was just 51.

I can't help but think of my sister when I watch this, heart breaking if I'm honest.

• Empathy 1

27 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Maybe I'm dead inside but I just don't find it moving at all ... Just seems like a vehicle for Gervais's humanist worldview (and I say this as a humanist myself). Up to ep 4 of the new season and don't think I've properly lol'd once, either. But it is moderately entertaining.

Despite the "just be nice to people" theme I actually find some of it a bit unnecessarily nasty and not just because the character is meant to be an arsehole ... The way he was nasty to the yoga/meditation guy just because he has a cold and keeps sniffing, for example. I get it that Gervais is very sceptical of anything or anyone "spiritual' but it wasn't even the spiritual aspect of the character he's mocking, it was just the fact he had the sniffles. 

In interviews Gervais has said that he can't abide unnecessarily loud chewing, snorting and sniffling noises. Poor punctuality also drives him up the wall. Essentially, it's hard not to see Tony as just being Ricky.

I gave S2 a spin after seeing universal praise across my social media, even though I don't like Ricky Gervais.

Whilst it's definitely not 'for me', I do feel like it has spurred important conversations and emotions in a lot of people. However, it will always fall flat for me because I don't believe Ricky Gervais. I don't believe in his kindness, or his perspective. And I certainly don't believe him as a befuddled widower.

But a lot of people do, so fair enough.

If it's to be taken as yet another confessional 'Yes I'm a cunt, but I've got a heart of gold!', he should maybe just be working on not being a cunt by this point.

• Upvote 2

Yeah I do too, I kinda find it compelling and odd. Also I'm excited for the inevitable final scene where he's burning his laptop containing all his wife's video clips , a bit like Luke Skywalker burning Vader's helmet at the end of ReturnOfTheJedi.

• Upvote 1

Watched Season 2 and its not that great is it.   Sentimentality as subtle as a sledgehammer hits time and again, repetitive is the best way I could describe this season.   At a level I found it watchable and at no point did I want to give up on it, but it all felt so contrived and pointless.   Note to the repeated and unnecessary use of the C word throughout, and the awful therapist who is *such* a bad character choice.

Agreed. Paul Kaye was excellent. This series however was nowhere as good as the first. 

• Upvote 1

The therapist character was my least favourite thing in it, crappy edgy 'ledge lad banter given to an amazing actor who made it seem genuinely menacing at times.

The whole series just felt like a lot of groundhoggy nothing, with too many of the characters written in Gervais' voice who just happen to think Tony (Gervais) is just the bestest nicest guy, isn't he?

The nadir of that sort of writing was in the first series where he's writing both sides of a theological debate with Philomena Cunk, just the standard Gervais reckons but with a total moron of his own creation as his foil.

I thought Paul Kaye's character was fine in the first season, and I quite liked the absurdity of a terrible therapist that clearly doesn't give the first shit about their patients, but it was taken much too far for me in the small amount of season 2 that I've caught when my wife was watching it. Tony actually inflicting him upon his brother-in-law, the scene in the pub with PK's mates and their awful banter, etc. It was just cartoonish.

That said, I didn't really feel the need to watch the second season in any case, as I didn't even think he managed to sustain it for the first season, let alone a second - or third! There doesn't seem like anywhere near sufficient core concept or character development for such longevity. I'm not at all sure that Gervais is joking when he says he's doing it just because Netflix asked, and waved bags of cash at him, as opposed to because he actually has anything to say.

• Upvote 1

Paul Kaye, and his character's over the top evolution, is the best thing in it.

Series 3 is happening, along with a huge truck of cash for Gervais. If you love him, looks like Netflix is your channel for the near future. 

Hopefully he will pick up the phone to Stephen Merchant for series 3 and deliver something more. 

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/after-life-season-3-netflix-renewed/