rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Unofficial Who

Scramble

Looks good.

I used to really enjoy Rocket Raid on the BBC Micro which was another one of those weirdly accurate knock off arcade ports that the system had loads of, but this is a step up from that.

• Upvote 2

Wow! That does look good!!

I’m another who used to spend hours on Rocket Raid on the BBC B.

Scramble was the first arcade game I truly fell in love with, I used to slot 10p coins in to that cab like they were going out of fashion, back in the day.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

I really wanted to play this back in the day but by the time I got my C64 this was out of print.

I always thought the Spectrum version was better, despite it looking a lot cruder it was faster. Loved the fireworks bit at the start.

If you like Scramble, you should give Super Cobra a try (I think it's technically a sequel, but not sure)

I also remember playing the BBC Micro one a lot at school, I'm sure it was on a dodgy disk of various arcade rip off games that we would be allowed to play if we'd been well behaved or on the last day of term.

• Upvote 1

There was this Scramble inspired game on the Dragon that I loved, though it was hard as balls:

Look how fast that fuel gauge goes down! You could refill it by landing on little landing pads, had to be absolutely pixel perfect touchdown or boom.

• Upvote 1

I own a Scramble cocktail table -_-

Well, it's a Scramble board inside a Moon Cresta table. Love the game. 

Penetrator on the Spectrum had a built in level designer that worked brillliantly well.

Nearly bought a Scramble cab a nightclub was getting rid of back in about 2001ish the guy wanted 150 for it but I didn't have room. Always regret not getting it. 

• Empathy 1

Heads up for the Scramble fans.

This has just been released as one of the eight games on the Konami Arcade collection release.

It's multiplatform and it costs £15.99.

I haven't looked into it any further than on the store and the trailer. 

I personally don't mind supporting it at £2 per game, especially if it opens roads to getting as much older stuff out there on modern platforms as possible (and continuing) .. providing, it's good emulation, decent filter options, a few bells and whistles such as aspect ratios, (I'm a 4:3 guy!) But..the more options the better and wallpaper is usually nice too!

The big thing that has sold me on the hamster ports (apart from them being Solid) is the online leaderboards, I've sank countless hours in single player turf masters, yes I love it, but I love it more for global competition.

I haven't looked if this has leaderboards, the thread for this might already say.

I'm more keen on the Castlevania and Contra collections coming.

Just a heads up anyway (in case you're not aware and are interested)

I actually love scramble!

I bought the Konami collection yesterday. First game I played was Scramble. It seems there's no online leaderboard and no Tate mode, which is a bit disappointing. I'm not sure the whole collection is going to be great in handheld mode, in which case I probably should have just stuck to my Pi for emulation. I'm a sucker for these compilations. 

• Empathy 1

I played the original at Arcade Club at the weekend to wind down from five hours of Tron and Star Wars

One thing home consoles and computers can’t replace is that amazing kinetic experience of how the machines all feel different to each other, it’s glorious 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MagicalDrop said:

I bought the Konami collection yesterday. First game I played was Scramble. It seems there's no online leaderboard and no Tate mode, which is a bit disappointing. I'm not sure the whole collection is going to be great in handheld mode, in which case I probably should have just stuck to my Pi for emulation. I'm a sucker for these compilations. 

Me too.. .really enjoying it. Mainly bought it for the Gradius games though... Nice to get a decent version of Nemesis (Gradius). Have to say though if you have a PS4 and are a Salamander fan go for separate release on the PS store as you get all versions of the game. I much prefer the UK/European release of Salamander - life force feels like a different game at times - the speech is changed and the aliens (on the Japanese version). Its great to have access to all versions however.

The e-book that comes with this is great too... although the chosen font could have been a bit clearer for screen consumption. Shame they didn't do a physical release of this in the UK. I'd have bought it with a decent paper version of that E-book. Still at least they released it I guess! :)