The Commodore 64 Appreciation Thread

Vimster

The The C64 came yesterday and I had a very quick go on it before bed last night, just to get it set up. The joystick feels good and I'm pleased with the heft of the thing - these modern recreations with tiny boards inside them can feel quite light and hollow but presumably this is weighted or maybe the keyboard adds to it.  Anyway, I don't know how a real one feels but this certainly has a plausible air of authenticity.  I had a look on itch.io at their selection of newer C64 games and there's just so much.  I haven't been able to find any decent round up videos on YT of the modern games, does anyone know of a 'best of' type guide - maybe a good blog or something - or even have any recommendations themselves?  Of the old games, I largely know what I want to play.

On 11/01/2021 at 13:20, Nathan Wind said:

I feel a bit sick.  I feel like I'm shaming my ancestors. You could slice me down the middle when I was young and find 'Amstrad' written within, but I have recently found myself very curious about the C64.  You shut your mouth, @Clipper!

I've been watching YT videos, looking on eBay, investigating modern loading options, nosing around a couple of FB groups, and I think I'd like a recapped C64c with one of those new(ish) TapeCart SD readers.  They seem like a good solution for beginners.  Although I'm used to using Goteks and the likes of the DDI-3 floppy emulator on Amstrad, I'd like the absolute minimum of fuss in order to poke around the C64's catalogue and the speeds those things load at look amazing.  So it's just a case of hanging around for the right machine to crop up, spending some time looking at the must play games while I wait, that sort of thing.  Hold me. And softly whisper any beginner tips and pointers in my ear while you're at it.

Traitor.

28 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

The The C64 came yesterday and I had a very quick go on it before bed last night, just to get it set up. The joystick feels good and I'm pleased with the heft of the thing - these modern recreations with tiny boards inside them can feel quite light and hollow but presumably this is weighted or maybe the keyboard adds to it.  Anyway, I don't know how a real one feels but this certainly has a plausible air of authenticity.  I had a look on itch.io at their selection of newer C64 games and there's just so much.  I haven't been able to find any decent round up videos on YT of the modern games, does anyone know of a 'best of' type guide - maybe a good blog or something - or even have any recommendations themselves?  Of the old games, I largely know what I want to play.

Give this guy's YT channel a go - https://www.youtube.com/user/BrendanRandall

He has tons of C64-related top tens, reviews of new C64 games, pretty nicely put together. 

47 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Here are some modern releases that I've enjoyed, mostly through the high score competitons on Lemon64:

Micro Hexagon - surprisingly good conversion of Super Hexagon
Blockheads - one from our very own Carleton. I love this. The tightest controls on the C64 and excellent walljumping gameplay.
Grid Pix - again, from Carleton. Very good Picross game.
Donkey Kong Jr - Amazing arcade conversion.
Frogger Arcade - I'm not a massive fan of Frogger, but if you wanted a really good conversion, well this is it.
Knight Lore - Painstakingly converted from the Spectrum. There was a thread about it here. 
Alien 8 - See above.
Conga 4096 - I really like this fairly simple but unusual arcade game.
Donkey Kong 2016 - Another great modern conversion.
Super Bread Box - Fun and super slick platform shooter
Tutti Frutti - Really  fun conversion of a Commodore 16 game

While you say you know what you want to play of the old stuff, the great thing about the C64 is there is always something new to discover in its huge library. 

I bought a The C64 on an online marketplace but when I asked him to confirm that the "barely used/like new condition" item worked before sending it, the seller said he would then the next day claimed it was in fact broken and cancelled the sale . I suspect either he was a scammer and knew it was broken all along or he realised that it seems to be hard to come by right now and figured he can sell it for more money. 

Due to my location I don't have any chance of getting another. Where did you get yours @Nathan Wind? reading online it seems they're hard enough to obtain these days even in Europe and America.  

I'm not usually interested in these modern emulation devices (snes mini etc) but I found it appealing in the case of this thing because of the keyboard, the general hassle of using old home computers vs hooking up a snes or megadrive and the fact that I live in a place where the c64 wasn't a thing at all so original hardware isn't easily obtainable either. 

I'm an original hardware type too but in this instance I would probably switch to an Ultimate 64 (an FPGA-based recreation of the C64 by Gideon, creator of the Ultimate1541)  if they came as a complete unit. Instead it's just a board and I don't have the time or energy for building my own C64.

10 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

@partious They're available on Amazon at the moment.  It's where I got mine.

Ah ok. It seems amazon.co.uk was just hiding it from my search results because I'm in a country they don't ship it to. It shows up in the search if I enter a UK post code. Didn't know they did that. 

52 minutes ago, Camel said:

I'm an original hardware type too but in this instance I would probably switch to an Ultimate 64 (an FPGA-based recreation of the C64 by Gideon, creator of the Ultimate1541)  if they came as a complete unit. Instead it's just a board and I don't have the time or energy for building my own C64.

If someone got together with Gideon and supplied the cases I reckon that would be a great combination. Okay it wouldn't be a cheap one but it would be as near as damn it to swearing to the real thing. Makes me wonder if anyone is buying up old C64s for spares and selling the cases on. 

17 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

The C64 version of Laser Squad is excellent!  I'm looking forward to trying out Hero Quest and Space Crudase.

I used to have a disk version of that which has gone walkabout. Gutted!

You should probably try Lords Of Chaos as well. It's sort of a cross between Chaos and Laser Squad. 

1 minute ago, Vimster said:

I used to have a disk version of that which has gone walkabout. Gutted!

You should probably try Lords Of Chaos as well. It's sort of a cross between Chaos and Laser Squad. 

Good shout, I'm just downloading some more games now. I'll do that before I forget.

I know Lords well, so it'll be interesting to see the Commodore version.

7 hours ago, Camel said:

Here are some modern releases that I've enjoyed, mostly through the high score competitons on Lemon64:

Micro Hexagon - surprisingly good conversion of Super Hexagon
Blockheads - one from our very own Carleton. I love this. The tightest controls on the C64 and excellent walljumping gameplay.
Grid Pix - again, from Carleton. Very good Picross game.
Donkey Kong Jr - Amazing arcade conversion.
Frogger Arcade - I'm not a massive fan of Frogger, but if you wanted a really good conversion, well this is it.
Knight Lore - Painstakingly converted from the Spectrum. There was a thread about it here. 
Alien 8 - See above.
Conga 4096 - I really like this fairly simple but unusual arcade game.
Donkey Kong 2016 - Another great modern conversion.
Super Bread Box - Fun and super slick platform shooter
Tutti Frutti - Really  fun conversion of a Commodore 16 game

While you say you know what you want to play of the old stuff, the great thing about the C64 is there is always something new to discover in its huge library. 

Oh I forgot. There are also those recent Atari Activision ports. Those are really good, Frostbite especially. IIRC the others are Keystone Kapers, Chopper Command, Crackpots. Pressure Cooker is apparently still in development.

There's the recently discovered official port of Joust from back in the day too.

Piece of piss. I bought an SX64 style C64c case from PixelWizard (plus Ultimate 64 keyboard standoffs), a 2nd hand keyboard and SID6581 chip (not needed unless you really want one) from Ebay.

Whole thing put together in less than 20 mins. Then you have to flash the Basic, Kernal and Charset roms from USB stick by following the on screen prompts. Takes 1 minute tops.

I built my own dual colour LED for power/disk activity but if that's a faff, buy one from pixelwizard, too.

TL;dr - so long as you can use a screwdriver to screw in about 7 or 8 screws, you're sorted.

This thread has finally made me buy TheC64. I loved my breadbin C64 back in the day and really fancy a nostalgia blast although I suspect some things are best left remembered rather than experienced again. I can’t justify the outlay on ultimate64 etc much as I’d love that set up. The C64 is currently £92 on Amazon instead of the usual £109 for anyone on the fence. 

I had a proper sesh last night, had a whale of a time and here are some of my official scientific findings thus far.  Tremendous versions of Turrican, Bubble Bobble, Boulderdash and Buggy Boy - the best I've played on all counts I think. Of the newer games I tried, Blockheads is a bit hard for me. Millie and Molly and Wolfling are both very good and come highly recommended. Space Crusade is a bit of a disappointment after the initial awesomeness of the banging intro tune.  It's a slow game anyway, but here the movement feels positively glacial so I think this is best left to other formats.  HeroQuest was better, muddy visuals, although it played fine.  Surprise of the night goes to Sword of Fargoal which I'd never even heard of and now sits firmly amongst the best games I've ever played (of the era). I ended up spending ages playing it.  It's almost exactly like my favourite dungeon delving board games, just brilliant.

IMG_0929.thumb.JPG.19246714bf4956a4dbdcb1f42a0c0c2e.JPG

13 hours ago, gunrock said:

Piece of piss. I bought an SX64 style C64c case from PixelWizard (plus Ultimate 64 keyboard standoffs), a 2nd hand keyboard and SID6581 chip (not needed unless you really want one) from Ebay.

Whole thing put together in less than 20 mins. Then you have to flash the Basic, Kernal and Charset roms from USB stick by following the on screen prompts. Takes 1 minute tops.

I built my own dual colour LED for power/disk activity but if that's a faff, buy one from pixelwizard, too.

TL;dr - so long as you can use a screwdriver to screw in about 7 or 8 screws, you're sorted.

Nnnngggggg. I can see me jumping on the list for one of these soon. 

Yeah that looks fun, I'll pop it on the list!

Seems a very strong platform for those early RPGs.  I had a quick go on the Apshai Trilogy earlier but I'll need to have a read of the instructions before I can get anywhere with it.  It's another one that appeals to my brutal board game sensibilities.  I have to say it's quite eye opening playing some of these games again on this platform.  The likes of Buggy Boy and Green Beret - it's like playing a different game entirely from what I'm used to with the Amstrad.  Speedball 2 is also impressively smooth and fast.  It easily plays as good a game of Speedball as the Amiga albeit with scaled back graphics obviously, but the recent ultimate version looks like it goes some way towards fixing that.

Edit - Oh wow, I've just been trawling through C64 RPG's and was reminded of a game I was obsessed with as a kid but had totally forgotten about! Death Knights of Krynn.  I can't wait to get that played.  I used to spend hours on end copying the gorgeous pixel artwork with my pencils and felt pens.  Nostalgia bomb.