Classic games spoiled by current games

Here's a topic.  I tried Jet Force Gemini for the Xbox One (Part of the Rare Replay package). This was a great game, very well received and reviewed at the time, and a game designed for the N64. Playing it today for the first time, I can see its a great game and there are loads of comments in the RR thread from people who bought the package for this game specifically. But having said that, oh my god, it has the worst controls ever. I can see how this would have been the best method for the N64 pad, but having played so many twin stick shooters over the years, going back to single player makes you wonder how anyone could have ever enjoyed playing this game. There's a patch that puts what they call 'modern controls' in the game and this makes it arguably worse , as the right stick seems to strafe you in a circle.  Again, its the modern day gameplay from the last 10 years that makes my brain totally misunderstand how to control this one.  And now I'm giving up. I tried.

Also having Mame on the Switch now, I got back into Robotron. I loved this game In the arcades in my youth, but looking at it today it's just crazy. The silver robots that hatch from the red circles fire all over the place and get me every time. I get to the same level 6 every time. How did I ever enjoy this? Its impossibly difficult.

Ghosts and Goblins.  How do you kill the flying red boss? It's 2 minutes into the game and it just launches itself at you and jumps to avoid your shots. 

Conkers Bad Fur Day. How many un-skipable cut scenes? And then after about half an hour of cut scenes you finally get to play it and there's a huge climbing session, where one less than perfect leap sends you crashing all the way back to the bottom.... And you land in the water, so you don't die. You have to start over again and it is absolutely infuriating. They wouldn't have a sequence like that in a modern game. I wanted to throw the controller at the TV after the 8th attempt. 

Resident Evil 2 - the new remake has loads of new items and side tasks and the limited inventory means you won't be able to pick everything up. This forces the player to leave items where they are, then pick them up later when you backtrack.  This is brilliant and improves the game massively. But it also serves to remind you how much empty backtracking there was in the original and the remake shows us that Capcom realised this and made those changes. They knew people wouldn't accept all that back tracking today, even though we didn't have a problem with it at the time.

Modern gaming has recognised problems of the past and fixed them, so we're all used to games that don't have those annoying quirks we used to put up with. What classic games do you find you don't enjoy when you play them today?

• Upvote 7

Almost all first/third-person shooters on the N64 have this problem, even when playing them natively. At the time aiming felt completely natural, now I'm completely incapable of using the left stick for anything other than movement.

To add to the list: any PC game that requires manual saves.

3 hours ago, Fallows said:

I get the point of the thread, but I have to disagree about the back-tracking in Resi 2. It happens, but it's not a problem once you know exactly where to go.

The backtracking is handled so much better in the remake though. The long door animations of the original really grate especially when you know you're going from one end to the other.

14 hours ago, dumpster said:

The backtracking is handled so much better in the remake though. The long door animations of the original really grate especially when you know you're going from one end to the other.

Weren't the long door animations put in too disguise the slow load times?

I attempted to replay Resi 4 recently, but the advancements and refinements that have been made to the over-the-shoulder shooter genre that the game pioneered have sadly made it very unenjoyable for me.

I think the representation of women in certain older games is now more obviously problematic in this day and age as well. I've recently started Okami on the Switch, for example, and within the first ten minutes you meet a geisha goddess character who has an extremely low cut top and her arse hanging out for no particular reason (she literally has a big hole in her skirt). To top it off, the first time you meet her she jiggles and giggles about with the camera lingering on her tits while she tries to shake a bug free from her kimono. This in a game which centres on the deities and legends of polytheistic feudal Japan. It's all a bit odd and has put me right off it.

• Upvote 1

To be fair, the first cut scene of Okami put me off the thing on its original release. I suspect I might have been able to get through it had it not been for the inane chattering noise they used for all the voices, but it will forever remain one of those games I’ll never play.

• Empathy 1

Pre-3D racing games, mainly on 8- and 16-bit systems, I find almost impossible to play, apart from certain exceptions. They don't really have proper bends, and I'm so used to being able to drift, which is the most exciting thing about racing games since its invention, just takes a lot of the fun out of them. Exceptions would be things like Buggy Boy, Outrun, Enduro Racer and Power Drift. They had something extra to them and didn't just feel like you're trying to stay on a winding ribbon.

• Upvote 1

The Pokemon Series.

I mean, I think JRPGs tend to age pretty gracefully, largely because they sidestep the shonky collision detection, camera systems and movement of early unpolished 3D titles, there have been a lot of people (me included) who have played FF7 for the first time in recent years and found it held up remarkably.

But boy those early games are slow. Adding XP share cut down the busywork remarkably, adding running sped them up, there are numerous quality of life improvements, and the remakes mean you get these improvements with the exact same content.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

How do you feel about top-down racers like Skidmarks or Super Sprint?

They've aged a lot better. I could play Super Sprint all evening, fantastic game. Skidmarks still plays really well. Some like Super Cars 1 and 2 haven't aged quite so gracefully. A bit still in the handling.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, RaoulSilva said:

I think a lot of older games are fine if you played them at the time or grew up with them, I find it hard to get into 90% of retro games I either never owned or were released before the generation where I got into gaming (N64) . 

I find this true as well: the majority of 'retro' games I play that I wasn't old enough to experience at the time I fail to see what the fuss is all about, despite understanding that they're seminal or revolutionary, or what have you. I think nostalgia has a huge influence on your enjoyment of retro games.

Another type of game that I think fits into this category are sequels of games that you choose to play over the earlier games in the series, as you know (or hope) that the issues with the earlier games were ironed out. I've not played any of the Divinity games, for example, but despite having Original Sin 1 on my wanted list for a long while now, I think I'll go straight to 2. It's the same with the Dirt games, which I've read good things about but not played: do I buy Dirt 4 or go straight for the most recent game (which, I think is Rally 2, or something like that)?

8 hours ago, RaoulSilva said:

I think a lot of older games are fine if you played them at the time or grew up with them, I find it hard to get into 90% of retro games I either never owned or were released before the generation where I got into gaming (N64) . 

I’m the same. I think a lot of it does come down to nostalgia.

37 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I find this true as well: the majority of 'retro' games I play that I wasn't old enough to experience at the time I fail to see what the fuss is all about, despite understanding that they're seminal or revolutionary, or what have you. I think nostalgia has a huge influence on your enjoyment of retro games.

Another type of game that I think fits into this category are sequels of games that you choose to play over the earlier games in the series, as you know (or hope) that the issues with the earlier games were ironed out. I've not played any of the Divinity games, for example, but despite having Original Sin 1 on my wanted list for a long while now, I think I'll go straight to 2. It's the same with the Dirt games, which I've read good things about but not played: do I buy Dirt 4 or go straight for the most recent game (which, I think is Rally 2, or something like that)?

Dirt 4 if a filthy casual. Dirt Rally 2 if a masochist.

10 hours ago, RaoulSilva said:

I'd agree with that. I'm really lucky that I was just the right age at the start of the 80s to get into games, so it's rare to find a game that's too old, I can see even the most rudimentary games in historical context, can see how games progressed and remember getting excited about the innovations like more colours, more sprites, bigger worlds and the like. It's a privilege to have this perspective on old games.

• Upvote 1
On 18/03/2019 at 18:32, dumpster said:

Resident Evil 2 - the new remake has loads of new items and side tasks and the limited inventory means you won't be able to pick everything up. This forces the player to leave items where they are, then pick them up later when you backtrack.  This is brilliant and improves the game massively. But it also serves to remind you how much empty backtracking there was in the original and the remake shows us that Capcom realised this and made those changes. They knew people wouldn't accept all that back tracking today, even though we didn't have a problem with it at the time.

Try Resident Evil 1. No quick turn! No auto aim! The map will not tell you if you picked up every item in a room, or which key unlocks which door! Also it looks very shit!