rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Megadrive Mini

Have to say Castle of Illusion on Master System was far superior to the MD version. Controls being the main victory.

• Upvote 4

On 19/10/2019 at 20:43, Keyboard Koala said:

Mos def. Probably my favourite title on it at the moment.

I also found out why it's actually Monster World IV, and where it fits in the Wonder Boy series...

If I'm not mistaken, MW IV is also WB VI - but they stopped calling it WB because the protagonist is a girl this time. 

And did you know that WB III: The Dragon's Trap, is actually WB IV (and MW II)? Because there is no real WB IV (and the real WB III came out in the arcades first - the MD version of which featured some amazing box art by S. Matsushita btw) and MW III is WB V.

giphy.gif

..and that's not even touching on the Adventure Island stuff.. :wacko:

• Upvote 1

You play a game like Gunstar Heroes and think: "The SNES simply couldn't do this." Well, it could, but it would be slow as shit.

I'm really not a fan of Treasure's output. I find them technically brilliant but generally unsatisfying to play. 

....except Gunstar Heroes. It's fucking terrific. Stage 5 , fighting hordes of enemies across the sunset cityscape while the triumphant music plays is just a stunning Mega Drive moment. 

Fantastic game.

• Upvote 3

This amazing episode of Gamesack explains everything you need to know about the Wonderboy mysteries.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Surely they're non-canon when talking about the WB series? :p

Yes, but it's still the case that same original game not only has its own series of disorderly sequels, but also ended up spinning off an entirely different and similarly scattershot franchise, making the whole thing hilariously complicated.. 

18 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

You play a game like Gunstar Heroes and think: "The SNES simply couldn't do this." Well, it could, but it would be slow as shit.

It’s still not as good as Contra 3 though.

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, dave7g said:

Darius is absolutely insanely hard. I've only beaten the first boss once.

Love it though.

Yeah, it's a beast! Everything is faster and more aggressive than in the arcade versions, and it isn't just a result of the game being reduced down to one screen - the PCE ports are a lot easier than this! I really like the change of pace, though, and having to completely re-learn a game that looks identical to something I've played to death is a rare treat. 

• Upvote 3

So is there anywhere in the UK stocking the Asia MD? I see many on eBay but want one to be delivered before 2023.

The retrobit wireless MD and Saturn controllers are out now and just looking at youtube/amazon reviews and photos and wow they are lovely pieces of kit.

74283603_10157454965980803_4287246667083

• Upvote 6

These Retro Bit wireless controllers on a Mega Drive are just :wub:

Only downside I can think of is that the receiver was a worryingly tight fit going into my MD port.

19 hours ago, Camel said:

These Retro Bit wireless controllers on a Mega Drive are just :wub:

Only downside I can think of is that the receiver was a worryingly tight fit going into my MD port.

Which model did you go for? 

Gotcha. I've got a black MD one. For use on a Mega Drive; I don't have a Mini. It's perfect.

They were taking their time on it but it seems close. It will be as easy as hacking the snes apparently but you can also have emulation station on it too. I'm hoping it'll be ready for Christmas.

I got this for Christmas as a complete surprise. I had no idea there was an official one! Its such a premium build too. 

This was my first console as a kid so the nostalgia is real. Proper lovely Christmas. I had so many of these games! 

It's brutally hard too. They just don't make them like they used to. Srs.

Got whooped on castle of illusion and shinobi 3 so far. 

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1