rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Wiper

Project Sakura Wars

Before Fire Emblem began merging relationship management (and creepy face-rubbing minigames) with its turn-based SRPG roots, there was Sakura Wars. Anime visuals, JPop themes, turn-based mecha combat and a fully fledged visual novel combined, it inevitably saw no release over here, despite massive success in Japan and a succession of sequels released across the Saturn and Dreamcast. It wasn't until Sakura Wars V that the series would come to the West, on Wii and PS2, but having taken five years to get localised to by-then superseded consoles, was a bit of a flop in 2010.

Well, it looks like Sega - presumably spurred on by the final success of the Yakuzas over here - have decided to roll the dice on another game in the series releasing in the West. It'll probably be terrible! Nevertheless, I'm excited, as late '90s me would have killed for this. In 2020 we get to look forward to steampunk robots punching monsters/each other in the face, interspersed with melodramatic branching visual novel sections. Translated from their '90s anime stylings into 3D, the character models look predictably awful, and the story will inevitably be complete rubbish. I can't wait!

• Upvote 5

I'm so glad you started the topic! (I didn't want to start two Sega topics today).

Sakura Wars is one of the very last JRPGs that has been solely in Japan (bar the Wii version which apparently was one of NISA biggest flops).

Very much looking forward to this! I suspect it will be the Valkyria Chronicles team (which borrowed mechanics liberally from previous Sakura Wars) and no matter the quality, the mixture of mecha and relationships will feel unique.

I've played one of these one the DC, it definitely wasn't import-friendly :P

The biggest problem being the conversation system the games used, LIPS, which was real-time.

Clearly very ahead of its time, considering it has taken literally decades for the gameplay mash-up ideas to gain popularity outside of Japan.

It's the game series revival that Japanese fans have been clamouring for, and now they are getting it. The use of a famous manga artist and the personal reputation of the CEO being on the line should ensure they won't be sparing too much in the way of expense on it.

Yeah, the fact that the conversations are not only time-limited, but even have options change on you if you wait before responding, was equally brilliant and frustrating due to the challenge it made to playing along with a translation. Funny to think how long it took for even that specific mechanic to really take off outside of the series; until Alpha Protocol* and the Telltale adventure games I can't think of many other games that really go for that design.

*SEGA again, sort of