Katana ZERO - "like Mark of the Ninja mixed with Hotline Miami" - out now!

3512971-trailer_katanazero_2018320.jpg

(credit to @geldra for the "x meets y" in the thread title.)

Now that Sekiro's out, this is the next most exciting release of 2019 for me*. :)  I think it was first teased way back in 2015, but now it looks like it's closing in on a release date. From the Steam page:

Katana ZERO is a stylish neo-noir, action-platformer featuring breakneck action and instant-death combat. Slash, dash, and manipulate time to unravel your past in a beautifully brutal acrobatic display.

Exceptional Combat: Overcome your opposition however the situation requires. Deflect gunfire back at foes, dodge oncoming attacks, and manipulate enemies and environments with traps and explosives. Leave no survivors.

Hand-Crafted Sequences: Each level is uniquely designed for countless methods of completion. Defeat foes creatively, using spontaneous approaches to eliminate your enemy as you see fit.

Unconventional Storytelling: An enigmatic story told through cinematic sequences woven into the gameplay, twisting and folding to an unexpected conclusion.

Put simply, everything seen in the trailers looks amazing. Atmospheric pixel-art, lightning-fast attacks, slick movement,  neo-noir stylings, moody music... :wub:  The only concern surrounding the game (for me, at least) is that in the past the release date has been all over the place - so I don't know if I'm making this thread prematurely! - but considering that it's had playable builds and the April 18th date was tweeted out on March 20th, I'd like to hope that there isn't too much left to do.

*okay, Indivisible too, but that's not on the way for a while

1056_feature.png?1456230534

1059_feature.png?1456230558

Official website: https://www.katanazero.com/

Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/460950/Katana_ZERO/

Switch: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/katana-zero-switch

• 2 weeks later...

So I may have ended up playing this throughout yesterday evening :D Things get hard fast but since you restart at the beginning of the current room it rarely feels unfair. There are larger rooms where there’s more to do after a restart but the action is so fast anyway that it’s rarely an issue. It definitely feels like it’s been worth the wait. :) 

I saw one ending this morning, but I'm sure other stuff can happen depending on dialogue. The last area I was in really ramped up the difficulty - very long stretches without checkpoints - but you quickly start figuring things out bit by bit until you're able to get through unharmed.

Easily GOTY contender material for me, even with Sekiro out there - this just delivers on everything I'd hoped for, and aside from those occasional difficulty spikes it's a pretty good time. :) 

40 minutes ago, parkinho said:

This looks awesome. Are there any modes or challenges to encourage replayability, such as speed run modes or harder difficulties?

Not really, no. There are different plot outcomes and dialogue choices, but the action sequences are always the same as far as I can tell. It doesn't really have the replayability of Hotline Miami either, where you could at least try different masks to change up your playstyle. 

Not my gifs, just some from googling. I would like to stream some gameplay soon though, and I wrote words on @Badger's website here :) 

HeavyFlusteredAustraliancurlew-max-1mb.g

ComplicatedGentleBanteng.gif

EDIT: btw, I’m in the fortunate position of already owning Cuphead on Steam - this and that are both brilliant games and I would totally understand people having to make a hard choice! Just keep this game in mind when you're not juggling too many other games. :) 

Yeah, it's hard to compare the two. Both have great presentation and tough-but-fair gameplay, but they're ultimately different experiences. As I said, I already own Cuphead so I never had to make that choice - in short, get hold of both games when funds and free time in your gaming schedule allow you to. ;) 

I didn't think anything was particularly hard and because retries are almost instant, it's not a big problem anyway.

It's a short game though, Cuphead offers more bang for you buck. But few games make you feel as badass as this one. Slamming a door open, slicing up the guy behind it, rolling under the gunfire of the second while throwing a knife into the third, going into slow mo to deflect a bullet into the fourth then jumping up and slicing a drone out of the air, all in mere seconds, is awesome.

As is the pixel art and music.

54 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I didn't think anything was particularly hard 

Ok billy big bollocks. I’ll admit that the 

Spoiler

Bit in the room with the laser beams and spawning enemies and floating gun target had me contained for a while.